stigzler

8 Drive Setup

12 posts in this topic

Hi folks. 

Just thought I'd share what's possible with the T20 in case any other newbs (like me!) are looking to get as much as possible out of this great little (!?) box. 

Thanks to this post here started by schoodoggy and various other posters, now have a T20 running 8 hard drives. Also fitted a front manually variable fan for cooling and some sound deadening. Best of all - all done (including the additional hard drive cage) without modding anything in the origianl T20 - warranty still golden. :)

IMG_0540.png

IMG_0541.png

IMG_0542.png

IMG_0543.png

IMG_0544.png

Edited by stigzler

I added extra drives (2 X 4TB HGST) using an LSI SAS 9207-8i card and they showed as over heating on StableBit Scanner so I had to remove the front cover from the Supermicro case and add a fan in front of the drives which solved the problem.

T3HnHeV.jpg

Very nice job, stigzler.  You made that box far nicer than it was originally.

Will you be upgrading the RAM?  Adding a second identical module to the appropriate bank will give you dual-channel performance; IMO, that's worth it, even if you don't need a lot of memory for your purposes.

1 person likes this

@LoneWolf - cheers fella

As for the RAM - asked about that elsewhere but never really got an answer. Yes - that was my plan - just buy one identical module to the stock one + slp it in. However, I'm not very good with RAM so not sure what to buy - just need a link or a steer if you're able to help :)

Is the 'appropriate bank' just the corresponding one to the one the stock is installed in? I'm assuming yes. 

thanks again.

The clips on the banks are the same color, that is, Bank 1 has the white clips, Bank 2 has the black clips.  So populate one bank at a time (both whites, in your case) and you're good.

I'm assuming you have a single 4GB module; if so, it would be one unbuffered ECC DDR3 DIMM.  You'll need another 4GB ECC UDIMM.  Here is a link to Kingston's part numbers that should match.

http://www.kingston.com/us/memory/search?DeviceType=8&Mfr=DEL&Line=PowerEdge&Model=86641

Edited by LoneWolf

Thanks man. That's the second to last piece of the jigsaw! ;)

stigzler, great job.  i'm also looking for a better cooling solution for the drives.  would you or anyone else happen to know what size or model fan you used?  thanks!

@stigzler

Could you tell me what kind cooling fan you installed into T20, and how to connect the power to the motherboard? I wan to do the same thing. Thanks.

Great job Stigzler, what model of hard drive cage did you use ?

Great job man!  That fan  on the front looks like an 80mm.  There doesnt seem to be any other connectors on the board for it, but I am sure you could just use old fashioned molex if you buy an adapter for Sata power.  Stigzler, so what method did you use to get the cages on with the warranty still intact?  I just got one of these systems recently, and I still dont really understand how people are getting them on while saying parts arent modified.  I seem to always have to cut something off  or drill bigger holes to get things to fit appropriately.