RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
t2clej

Open-Mesh speed

Jason

Sorry, I have 3 MR1750 units each connected via Ethernet backhaul connected back to a gigabit switch. My wifi speeds via my Dell laptop on 5 Ghz were only about 50 Mbps+ on 6.2 private beta. With 6.2 private beta 1 they improved to over 100 Mbps. I will attempt this using a RAM Disk and check speeds.

To be honest, having wireless mesh with seamless handoff at home has been such an improvement over traditional consumer grade access points I've not found a need to compare speeds against other equipment...though I am intrigued to hear that there are comparable devices that are achieving 3X the speeds.

taylorwmj

My wifi speeds via my Dell laptop on 5 Ghz were only about 50 Mbps+ on 6.2 private beta. With 6.2 private beta 1 they improved to over 100 Mbps.

Wait....there's 2 different 6.2 betas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jason

Yes. At first my APs showed 6.2 private beta. A couple days ago they reflected update to 6.2 private beta 1. Or they made updates to 6.2 beta and renamed it.

Edited by Jason

taylorwmj

Yes. At first my APs showed 6.2 private beta. A couple days ago they reflected update to 6.2 private beta 1. Or they made updates to 6.2 beta and renamed it.

Thanks for the heads up. I actually just noticed that now on CloudTrax. Well I've seen some good performance on 6.2 (nowhere near other APs in terms of speed), but I can't seem to get client to handoff between 2 AP's on the same floor, but 3 rooms apart. My iPhone still stays connected to one AP in the Master BR, but when I walk into the office, even a few minutes later it's still connected to the Master BR AP.

Jason

I encountered a similar issue with AP hand-off. Open-Mesh Support advised me to tune the RADIO signal strength lower than I had it. Resulted in less coverage by AP but also less overlap making clients more aware of a stronger signal to "grab"? Once I did this it was apparent as I walked around w a laptop connected via wi-fi. iOS devices are apparently more reluctant to hop from AP to AP if they still believe they have a signal however weak it is.

itGeeks

@taylorwmj,

Sorry I am so late to the game, I meant to get back to you sooner but i forgot. First here is the link to the setting that resolved the 'client handoff' for Jason. 

Post# 188 http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/10447-luma-wifi-security-and-eero/page-10#entry113375

As you can tel by now most if not all of us including me that are using OM have the MR1750 and as you can tell we are very happy with them, I can't do any testing because after my move in June I have not been using my single MR1750 that I used in my 3 story house, All I can say is it covered all three floors including my outside property with good speed that no one complain. I was on FiOs 150/150 fiber internet and everything ran without lag.

The unit that you have is not designed to be for large spaces or be a substitute for the MR1750, I am just wondering y you choose the OM5P-AC over the MR1750 other then cost? Have a look at the link below for the network planning guide, I will point out two key things that the guide covers https://help.cloudtrax.com/hc/en-us/articles/202405750-Part-2-Choosing-Bandwidth-Access-Points-and-Enclosures

"OM5P-AC

The OM5P-AC excels in dense, noisy, high-demand environments such as hotels, dorm rooms, care facilities, apartments and food and beverage establishments. As a dual-band 802.11ac model, it operates in the 5 Ghz band in addition to 2.4, so it is better in noisy environments. This unit can handle the highest throughput and the most simultaneous users in the smaller OM Series form factor. This is recommended as the best performing unit in most situations where mesh or long-range coverage is not required. It includes passive and standard 802.3af PoE ports, so it can run with our line of injectors or with standard PoE switches."

"The MR1750 is our highest performance model, offering 802.11ac hardware, 3x3 MIMO 450 + 1300 Mbps rated radio speed, good range and excellent meshing capabilities. A future firmware upgrade will unlock 802.11ac performance."

Here is another great guide, Determining the placement and number of nodes needed https://help.cloudtrax.com/hc/en-us/articles/202405770-Part-3-Placing-Nodes-and-Scaling-the-Network

Have a look also at this, OM links and references http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/11393-om-links-and-references/page-1#entry118691

One thing you should take a look at on the page is the review by pcdoc.

taylorwmj

@itGeeks thanks for the reply and all the info!

Went with a few OM5P-AC's instead of one central MR1750 due to most rooms in the house being wired for cat5 and the install process would be VERY easy when using the Indoor Ethernet enclosure since all APs would be gateways/have Ethernet backhaul.

The issues came in with speed even 3-6 feet away when I was getting no more than 60 mbps locally no matter the 802.11AC-enabled device. This didn't make sense given the device was rated at 867 on AC and I had been testing numerous other APs with same rated speed and getting 600-700+ Mbps locally.

Luckily, I was able to get the 6.2 beta and it's been updating regularly with minor updates without notifications, but the speed did bump to over 100 Mbps when standing w/in about 3 feet of the AP. However, any further than that in direct line of sight w/in same room and the speed drops. Some improvement is good. Unfortunately you need to turn of the layer 7 DPI to get this, which shouldn't be an issue, but is.

I have been able to get roaming working finally a bet more across some of the APs, but as we know iOS devices hold on WAY too long. To get roaming working I've had to drastically bump down the power on the network to 16 dBm which is 40 mW. I see devices roam pretty quick now and have 802.11r turned on which seems to help. The HUGE downside to this is that when turning down the power this much, the 2.4 coverage is much lower and standing 10 feet from the AP and turning my back to the AP, I begin to lose reception and drop below -75 to -80 dB on my phone and similar devices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

itGeeks

Thanks for the update, It sounds like your making some headway. It sure is interesting how well you say other WAP's in the performance department, Like I said my MR1750 worked fine to spite any bench marking though we did not use wireless to transfer large files across our network, We only used wireless devices for web browsing, email, streaming media such as music/movies/Youtube, ect. Ouch that is a bummer that you had to lower the power that much and how it affected your reception, As we know we should be adding WAP's at every -70 dB for good overlap and extending our signal further. You may have to add more units or tryout some MR1750's to see if that works better for you. Good luck and keep us posted.

Jason

FWIW in my house, am currently running 3 MR1750 units at 23 dBm (200 mW) and the coverage indoor and outdoor has been impressive. Also enabled 802.11r but can't quite notice whether it helps. Have disabled Layer 7 packet inspection but haven't tested performance gains. I bounced between Band Steering being on and off but can't tell whether it's beneficial? They seem to have made updates to BS as earlier firmware versions seemed less refined and this feature caused client connectivity issues with devices such as Nest that have since subsided.

• Like 1

mlucas

I ordered 2 MR1750's back in April.  I have been running them in parallel with my existing wireless setup (2 buffalo 1750 routers).  Yesterday, I finally decided to pull the plug on the old setup and connect everything to the OM units.  Connected wifi printer, multiple wifi thermostats, sonos bridge, apple tv, phone, laptop, etc.  At the same time I noticed the new beta release available (6.2) so I upgraded.

Once it was set up, I did a speed test to test internet speeds going through the OM setup.  I have a 50/50 fios connection which typically tests around 60/60.  I ran the test multiple times and was getting between 2.5 and 5 Mbps downloads.  My uploads were as expected around 50-60.  Got same results on my laptop (2.4 Ghz) and on my phone (5 Ghz), even at a couple feet away.

Decided to change my firmware back to 6.1.1, but speed test gave same results.

I know I tested speeds back in April when I first installed this equipment and everything looked normal then.  I am not using any experimental features, just a very basic setup.  No bandwidth throttling on that SSID.

As I said, I have 2 MR1750s.  The second is connected via mesh, but I verified that during my tests I was connected to the gateway.

Any ideas what it could be?  Saw a post above with someone saying they were getting 5Mbps when more than a couple of devices are connected, but surely this can't be what is expected.