RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
t2clej

Open-Mesh speed

taylorwmj

Interesting to know they decreased in speed. As I stated, I actually saw it decrease as well. I find it so perplexing that these are so slow. I'm really curious as to where all the OM lovers here on HSS are. Not that I want to debate them, I just want to here what they love so much about the product if speed is so slow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jason

OK. It appears another process may have been using my ISP bandwidth when I was trying to do a Speedtest last night with 6.2 beta. I have a 50/10 Mbit business class line. I dedicated 1 Mbit upstream to VOIP QoS for Ooma. So really 9 Mbit left. Anyway, my Speedtest was 60/9 when I re-tested today so it's working as expected.

As for my LAN Tests...I generally use a network share on my File Server running on a RAID6 array (3 TB WD Reds) so my disk I/O is a likely speed bottleneck.

Personally I'm a fan of Open-Mesh but haven't used Ubiquiti or other enterprise grade equipment.

schoondoggy

Question, has anyone tried running multiple tests, two or three devices, on the same O-M access point at the same time?

taylorwmj

Question, has anyone tried running multiple tests, two or three devices, on the same O-M access point at the same time?

I have and it's not pretty. Most devices drop down to less than 5 mbps.

Also have found that one single AP on a network gets around 100 mbps, but add another in, even Ethernet backhauled, and everything drops to around 50 mbps.

Additionally, I have powered via passive 24v and then passed through. In doing so, all devices drop down to around 5-10 mbps.

All of these speeds are local tests, not even Internet/external tests.

Jason

Contact Open-Mesh support and alert them of the issue. They're responsive and can often resolve issues else refine firmware based on feedback.

taylorwmj

Contact Open-Mesh support and alert them of the issue. They're responsive and can often resolve issues else refine firmware based on feedback.

I've had multiple cases open in the past week regarding performance and issue with speed that I mentioned above. They've said this is normal performance and as expected.

They've stated that they see the same speed on 6.2 beta with keeping the client on the same plane as the AP and only 1 meter away.

I'm beginning to accept that they just don't have an ability to get much more than roughly 50 mbps more than 10 feet away and nothing 15-20 feet away.

I'm really surprised ITGeeks hasn't chimed in yet on any of these O-M performance issues. From his other posts here, he's generally a huge advocate for them. I'd be intrigued to here what sort of performance he gets from them.

Jason

What speeds are seen with competing mesh units?

Jason

I've noticed that Open-Mesh released a 6.2 private beta 1 for the MR1750 and the speed improvements are considerable.  Not sure what improvements were made as they aren't publishing the release notes for it.  My LAN download speeds are now consistently over 100 Mbps with my file server disk being the speed bottleneck.

taylorwmj

I've noticed that Open-Mesh released a 6.2 private beta 1 for the MR1750 and the speed improvements are considerable. Not sure what improvements were made as they aren't publishing the release notes for it. My LAN download speeds are now consistently over 100 Mbps with my file server disk being the speed bottleneck.

What's "considerable?" I received the 6.2 beta and I saw no real improvement. With the 1750 I'd expect you to get over 250+ Mbps on 5GHz. Barely over 100 seems suspect and is the speed I'm still seeing on my OM5P-AC.

So how slow of disks are you using and in what configuration? Most servers running RAID 5 or RAID 6 shouldn't be the bottleneck. My RAID 6 array reads well over 750 mbps over hardwire, so I know it's not the bottle neck. I'm having a trouble understanding how your disk is the bottleneck.

schoondoggy

I've noticed that Open-Mesh released a 6.2 private beta 1 for the MR1750 and the speed improvements are considerable. Not sure what improvements were made as they aren't publishing the release notes for it. My LAN download speeds are now consistently over 100 Mbps with my file server disk being the speed bottleneck.

You can setup a small ramdisk to eliminate any disk performance issues during LAN testing. http://memory.dataram.com/products-and-services/software/ramdisk
  • Like 1