RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
t2clej

Open-Mesh speed

t2clej

Sorry, I was only referring to clients. The Macbook Pro and the two Windows machines are WiFi and all three show the same results? The reason I asked was I have seen different WiFi performance depending on WAP and client WiFi combinations.

I also wanted to make sure it was not the switch. 

Any benefit to managed switch? I have always used unmanaged?

schoondoggy

Managed versus un-managed should not effect performance. Actually, a managed switch not set up properly can cause issues.

On the Macbook Pro and the two Windows machines, do all three connect at the same speed and transfer at the same speed with the MR1750?

There are several Open-Mesh users in the forum, are you guys seeing transfer rate issues with the MR1750? 

t2clej

Managed versus un-managed should not effect performance. Actually, a managed switch not set up properly can cause issues.

On the Macbook Pro and the two Windows machines, do all three connect at the same speed and transfer at the same speed with the MR1750?

Yes, all three connected at roughly the same speeds +/- 10%

Currently testing the UniFi AC PRO to see how it performs.

ImTheTypeOfGuy

Yes, all three connected at roughly the same speeds +/- 10%

Currently testing the UniFi AC PRO to see how it performs.

I just installed this today and so far it is doing great. Looks to be real fast as I am streaming with it for home HD videos and to a fire stick without issue.

NNNM

New member here. I'm having a similar issue to the OP. I bought a total of 5 Open-Mesh products for my house (3 MR1750s and 2 OM5P-ACs). All but 1 OM5P-AC are hardwired. My desktop computers are hardwired to my home network and I get 175 Mbps of download speed. If I switch to my mesh Wi-Fi network I manage only 60 Mbps downloads. If I enable Wi-Fi on my Xfinity cable modem I get 175 Mbps, even from several rooms away. If I switch to my Open-Mesh network (and I'm sitting less than 10 feet away from an MR1750), the speed drops down to 60 Mbps. Each of the access points with the exception of the Wi-Fi one is functioning as a gateway with zero hops.

CloudTrax support told me that the MR1750 is currently limited to 100-125 Mbps due to feature overhead, but that's double what I'm seeing. They also said that a firmware update coming out in the next month or two may improve performance somewhat. I don't understand how they can advertise 450-1300 Mbps but only deliver a fraction of that.

On the positive side, the mesh network has been bulletproof and does a great job of blanketing the entire house in Wi-Fi.

Any thoughts on what might be going wrong?

t2clej

New member here. I'm having a similar issue to the OP. I bought a total of 5 Open-Mesh products for my house (3 MR1750s and 2 OM5P-ACs). All but 1 OM5P-AC are hardwired. My desktop computers are hardwired to my home network and I get 175 Mbps of download speed. If I switch to my mesh Wi-Fi network I manage only 60 Mbps downloads. If I enable Wi-Fi on my Xfinity cable modem I get 175 Mbps, even from several rooms away. If I switch to my Open-Mesh network (and I'm sitting less than 10 feet away from an MR1750), the speed drops down to 60 Mbps. Each of the access points with the exception of the Wi-Fi one is functioning as a gateway with zero hops.

CloudTrax support told me that the MR1750 is currently limited to 100-125 Mbps due to feature overhead, but that's double what I'm seeing. They also said that a firmware update coming out in the next month or two may improve performance somewhat. I don't understand how they can advertise 450-1300 Mbps but only deliver a fraction of that.

On the positive side, the mesh network has been bulletproof and does a great job of blanketing the entire house in Wi-Fi.

NNNM - I had the same experience and was never able to solve the problem (I decided not to wait for new OM firmware). Instead I have installed the UniFi AC Pro. I get speeds that are similar to direct connections with router/switch. So far it has worked well. Please let me know if the upcoming firmware solves the problem.

• Like 1

NNNM

NNNM - I had the same experience and was never able to solve the problem (I decided not to wait for new OM firmware). Instead I have installed the UniFi AC Pro. I get speeds that are similar to direct connections with router/switch. So far it has worked well. Please let me know if the upcoming firmware solves the problem.

t2clej- Just wondering if you had trouble using Wi-Fi calling on the OM system? Any issues with the UniFi AC Pro (Wi-Fi calling or anything else)?

schoondoggy

What are you using to measure performance?

NNNM

What are you using to measure performance?

I use the Speedtest app and website; do you recommend something different? I've got some potentially good news from this morning. I tried bridging the SSID and my connection speed went up to 130 Mbps. More importantly, Wi-Fi calling seems to be working now. I had previously attempted to bridge the SSID but must have forgotten to power cycle the POE switch, because it didn't fix anything last time. I had to leave for work shortly after I performed the successful SSID bridge, so I wasn't able to fully test things out. But in the few minutes that I was able to spend on my mesh network, things were much better!

Edited by NNNM

schoondoggy

I use the Speedtest app and website; do you recommend something different? I've got some potentially good news from this morning. I tried bridging the SSID and my connection speed went up to 130 Mbps. More importantly, Wi-Fi calling seems to be working now. I had previously attempted to bridge the SSID but must have forgotten to power cycle the POE switch, because it didn't fix anything last time. I had to leave for work shortly after I performed the successful SSID bridge, so I wasn't able to fully test things out. But in the few minutes that I was able to spend on my mesh network, things were much better!

I tend to test with file transfers from a wired PC/Server to a WiFi device. You need to use several different files so they don't get cached.

How fast is your Internet service?