RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
t2clej

Open-Mesh speed

Jason

Would strongly encourage you to open a support ticket with OM. They have great support and response time. Not to mention the more feedback they get the better able they will be to address any potential issue in their firmware provided that's what is causing the issue. They may very well make adjustments to 6.2 beta and push another build.

itGeeks

I ordered 2 MR1750's back in April.  I have been running them in parallel with my existing wireless setup (2 buffalo 1750 routers).  Yesterday, I finally decided to pull the plug on the old setup and connect everything to the OM units.  Connected wifi printer, multiple wifi thermostats, sonos bridge, apple tv, phone, laptop, etc.  At the same time I noticed the new beta release available (6.2) so I upgraded.

Once it was set up, I did a speed test to test internet speeds going through the OM setup.  I have a 50/50 fios connection which typically tests around 60/60.  I ran the test multiple times and was getting between 2.5 and 5 Mbps downloads.  My uploads were as expected around 50-60.  Got same results on my laptop (2.4 Ghz) and on my phone (5 Ghz), even at a couple feet away.

Decided to change my firmware back to 6.1.1, but speed test gave same results.

I know I tested speeds back in April when I first installed this equipment and everything looked normal then.  I am not using any experimental features, just a very basic setup.  No bandwidth throttling on that SSID.

As I said, I have 2 MR1750s.  The second is connected via mesh, but I verified that during my tests I was connected to the gateway.

Any ideas what it could be?  Saw a post above with someone saying they were getting 5Mbps when more than a couple of devices are connected, but surely this can't be what is expected.

1. Could you run a speed test from a computer connected with Ethernet and post the results?

2. Also did you turn off the WiFi on the FiOs router? If not please do so.

3. Are there any other routers in your network or your just using the FiOs router?

4. Are you using 'bandsteering' on OM?

5. How is OM connected to your network?

mlucas

I have a basic 8 port gigabit switch connected to the fios router.  I also have the MR1750 and sonos bridge connected to the switch.  I initially suspected the switch, since I haven't used it in years and wasn't sure how it was configured.  I connected my laptop over ethernet to the switch and the speed test gave me the expected internet speeds.. around 60/60.  I also connected the OM directly to the fios router (which is how it was hooked up since April), and still experienced the slow 2.5 or so download speed.

Band steering has never been turned on.  WiFi in the fios router is on and has always been.  This was helpful when testing the OMs since I could stay connected to the fios router to access cloudtrax.  My plan is to turn this off though.

The last thing I did was hook up the old buffalo router to the same switch, since I couldn't get the OMs to work right.  Tested the speed and it was in the 50s up and down.

Maybe opening the support ticket is the right thing to do.  Was hoping someone else had this issue and knew how to fix it.

itGeeks

Thanks for the updated info and extra speed testing, Yes I would say open a support ticket with OM you may simply have a defective unit. Just wondering did you try replacing the Ethernet cable your using to connect OM? Sometimes its the simply things we forget to try that fix the problems. Please keep us posted and what the final resolution was that fixed your problems.

mlucas

Thanks for the updated info and extra speed testing, Yes I would say open a support ticket with OM you may simply have a defective unit. Just wondering did you try replacing the Ethernet cable your using to connect OM? Sometimes its the simply things we forget to try that fix the problems. Please keep us posted and what the final resolution was that fixed your problems.

I did end up opening a ticket, but the things he was telling me to try were not helping.

This morning I decided to spend some time before work troubleshooting.  I did try another Ethernet cable.   I also tried renaming the SSIDs to disconnect any devices.  These things did not help.

In searching how to do a factory reset I found the instructions to re-flash the firmware.  I did this, and all is working as expected now!  There is definitely a bug somewhere and hopefully they find it.  If anyone notices unusually slow speeds, I would recommend trying this.  It was a quick and painless process.

NNNM

Just upgraded to the 6.2 beta firmware and I got a significant speed bump in the ballpark of a 50-60% increase. I'm now getting download speeds of 140-150 Mbps instead of 90-100. Still not the 250 Mbps that I get over Ethernet but a big improvement nonetheless!a3744faab63bbb29003844378f4dd92b.png

Edited by NNNM

pcdoc

Just upgraded to the 6.2 beta firmware and I got a significant speed bump in the ballpark of a 50-60% increase. I'm now getting download speeds of 140-150 Mbps instead of 90-100. Still not the 250 Mbps that I get over Ethernet but a big improvement nonetheless!a3744faab63bbb29003844378f4dd92b.png

Outstanding.  The speed you are seeing is excellent for wifi.  Given the range and consistency with Open Mesh, I sure the speed is constand.  I am running 6.2 as well and have seen a boost as well.  Not 50 % as mine was always pretty good but any improvement is always appreciated. Glad you are getting good results.

newuser
On 10/5/2016 at 7:01 PM, NNNM said:

NNNM what did you do to improve your speed? I followed this https://help.cloudtrax.com/hc/en-us/articles/115001275544-Maximum-Performance-Settings I have om2pv2 that will not go past 42 download for my 100 mpbs download speed. i also have mr900 that will go close to 100 but only my wireless clients keep disconnecting from wireless on mr900. Both running latest 6.4.8 beta.

pcdoc

Very hard to detect the where the issue is as it could also be the client.  In my case, I was able to test side by side with other devices so I knew what the clients were capable of.  Ultimately, the OpenMesh products are very solid but have never performed as well as some of their competitors.  On my network, I would barely hit 100 Mbps and now get 230 Mbps using the Ubiquiti AC Pro.  I have shelved my 3 MR1750 almost a year ago.  They used to have pretty decent support so you might try and contact them to if they can help you tweak some more speed from your Wifi.

Jason

Agreed. They have (had) exceptional support.

Have since retired my MR1750s. With exception of one as a dedicated guest WiFi network AP.

Migrated to Netgear Orbi “mesh” indoor/outdoor and the throughput has been rather incredible.

Have heard good things about Ubiquiti but have never used them before. Would certainly try them if ever I was evaluating other WiFi solutions.