RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
t2clej

Open-Mesh speed

NNNM

I tend to test with file transfers from a wired PC/Server to a WiFi device. You need to use several different files so they don't get cached.

How fast is your Internet service? 

I pay for 150 Mbps but I usually get 175 Mbps.

schoondoggy

I pay for 150 Mbps but I usually get 175 Mbps.

The speed tests that hit an external website are good for measuring potential download/upload speeds from the Internet. That said, there should really be no difference between O-M and your XFinity WiFi. The file copy testing I do are to measure in house transfer rates. In general, transfer rates tend to be about half of what link speed is. Also keep in mind WiFi is a shared network. When you compare routers/WAP, they should have the same devices connected to each. This is a good article on connect/link speeds:

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/basics/wireless-basics/32175-how-fast-can-your-wi-fi-go

From other posts, it sounds like O-M has some transfer rate limitations that they are looking to resolve.It would be a good idea to raise the question to O-M support.

Perhaps some O-M users can post what they are seeing on there networks.

t2clej

t2clej- Just wondering if you had trouble using Wi-Fi calling on the OM system? Any issues with the UniFi AC Pro (Wi-Fi calling or anything else)?

Sorry - do not use wifi calling. Please let me know if the firmware update helps. 

NNNM

I'm happy to report that all is good! Wi-Fi download speeds are greatly improved at about 125 Mbps, a number that matches the download speed I was told to expect by Open-Mesh tech support. Wi-Fi calling is working great too! I know that I'm not getting all the speed I could be, but 125 Mbps is fast enough for all of my Wi-Fi connected devices. My desktop computers and TV are hardwired and they get 175 Mbps. I tried a file transfer from my hardwired desktop to my wireless laptop; it was a 4.76 GB video file and the transfer took 4 min 23 sec. I calculated a transfer rate of 144 Mbps; does that sound correct?

JROrtiz

New member here. I'm having a similar issue to the OP. I bought a total of 5 Open-Mesh products for my house (3 MR1750s and 2 OM5P-ACs). All but 1 OM5P-AC are hardwired. My desktop computers are hardwired to my home network and I get 175 Mbps of download speed. If I switch to my mesh Wi-Fi network I manage only 60 Mbps downloads. If I enable Wi-Fi on my Xfinity cable modem I get 175 Mbps, even from several rooms away. If I switch to my Open-Mesh network (and I'm sitting less than 10 feet away from an MR1750), the speed drops down to 60 Mbps. Each of the access points with the exception of the Wi-Fi one is functioning as a gateway with zero hops.

CloudTrax support told me that the MR1750 is currently limited to 100-125 Mbps due to feature overhead, but that's double what I'm seeing. They also said that a firmware update coming out in the next month or two may improve performance somewhat. I don't understand how they can advertise 450-1300 Mbps but only deliver a fraction of that.

On the positive side, the mesh network has been bulletproof and does a great job of blanketing the entire house in Wi-Fi.

Any thoughts on what might be going wrong?

I've been using the OM AC for about 45 days now and I have been seeing the same issues with reduced internet speeds. I've done a ton of tweaking and contacted support but for some reason the speeds coming across OM are about half of what I'm seeing from the router. To be fair, I'm seeing the same issue on eero so there must be something else that's causing it as eero used to report full speeds. I'll keep messing with it and let you know if I find a solution.

taylorwmj

I'm happy to report that all is good! Wi-Fi download speeds are greatly improved at about 125 Mbps, a number that matches the download speed I was told to expect by Open-Mesh tech support. Wi-Fi calling is working great too! I know that I'm not getting all the speed I could be, but 125 Mbps is fast enough for all of my Wi-Fi connected devices. My desktop computers and TV are hardwired and they get 175 Mbps. I tried a file transfer from my hardwired desktop to my wireless laptop; it was a 4.76 GB video file and the transfer took 4 min 23 sec. I calculated a transfer rate of 144 Mbps; does that sound correct?

Not do dig up an older thread, but I get linked here from my current posting about Open-Mesh vs Unifi. 

Any update on the O-M performance, especially with the new firmware (6.1.1) that was just released in July?

I've been using the OM AC for about 45 days now and I have been seeing the same issues with reduced internet speeds. I've done a ton of tweaking and contacted support but for some reason the speeds coming across OM are about half of what I'm seeing from the router. To be fair, I'm seeing the same issue on eero so there must be something else that's causing it as eero used to report full speeds. I'll keep messing with it and let you know if I find a solution.

Any luck with using O-M and the newer firmware? Seeing any drastic speed improvements?

NNNM

No massive speed bump, but I'm consistently getting 100+ Mbps downloads and 30 Mbps uploads. Nowhere near my hard-wired download speed of 280 Mbps but good enough.

Edited by NNNM

taylorwmj

No massive speed bump, but I'm consistently getting 100+ Mbps downloads and 30 Mbps uploads. Nowhere near my hard-wired download speed of 280 Mbps but good enough.

Are you getting this speed on the OM5P-AC or on the MR1750? 

My 2 OM5P-AC's came today and I have configured and began usage. I've never been able to get over 60 down/50 up with band steering up. I know I'm connected to the 5GHz on my MacBook Pro and I'm just 6 feet, but the speed is pretty horrid. About to order the UAP-AC-Pro and some other Unifi equipment instead because this is a big letdown. 

NNNM

I'm getting that speed on MR1750s.

taylorwmj

I'm getting that speed on MR1750s.

Ouch. That's brutal. Easy scalability, horrible performance by the sound of it. Unless I can get at least my 300/100 I'm returning my these AP's. Already have the UAP-AC-PRO on order.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk