RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
t2clej

Open-Mesh speed

t2clej

I recently installed MR1750 2nd floor ceiling central part of house, top of stairs. Signal strength is good but not as good as I expected.

My question is speed thru the MR1750. I have laptop sitting 20 feet from MR1750 with RSSI -57 dBm and Tx rate of 527 Mbps.

Using no flash speed test, I get around 70-80 Mbps download speed. The computer connected to the switch get 200 Mbps. In my old setup with 2 Asus routers at either end of the house, I would get over 150Mbps. 

I have checked speeds at different times of day of multiple days with same results. I do not have any bandwidth throttling turn on.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this? Do I need to contact open-mesh?

Thanks.

schoondoggy

There are test that show link speed and some show download. Others show transfer rate. With WiFi, transfer rate in general, is about half of link speed. The methodology you are using appears to be testing internet download speed. I would recommend doing some file transfers to another PC on your network to see what kind of rates you get. You should enter a call with Open-Mesh support. They are very helpful and prompt. 

What does the rest of your network look like? 

t2clej

I have opened ticket with open-mesh. Quick response from Open-Mesh. Here is response I got:

I'd suggest turning off Band Steering on all SSIDs. It would also be good to verify you're connecting on 5Ghz Channel 149 instead of 2.4Ghz Channel 6. The current channel can be found in Windows by opening a Command Prompt and typing netsh wlan show interfaces, or on a Mac by holding the Option key while clicking the WiFi icon in the upper right corner. If you're using a mobile device, a WiFi analyzer from your app store should tell you this information.

You could also experiment with Channel 36 on 5Ghz.

If you are on Channel 5Ghz and within close proximity to the access point, it is likely that these are the speeds you'll see for your environment. You might try at various times to see if they change or not.

Our next firmware release will likely improve performance for basic bridged SSIDs. That may be available within the next month or so.

So I'm going to turn on band steering and manually set 5Ghz channel to 36. 

Just ran speed tests: Ran speed test while connected to MR1750 and got 59Mbps. Then connected to Asus router and got 117Mbps. Seems strange that there is such a difference. Both using 5Ghz but different channels. 

What does the rest of your network look like? 

Arris cable modem connected to Asus RT-AC68 for routing. Then POE switch to MR1750

schoondoggy

What model is the POE switch?

t2clej

What model is the POE switch?

TP-LINK 8-Port Gigabit Ethernet PoE Desktop Switch with 4 PoE Ports (TL-SG1008P)

So I disconnected the MR1750 and turned on the radios on the two Asus routers I have. Current speed test results around 180Mbps (with MR1750 below 60Mbps).

Also I was testing file transfer speed. MR1750 about 5-8 times slower than Asus. Currently emailing back and forth with Open-Mesh. Maybe new firmware will help. I was really hoping to like the open mesh. I have it installed centrally on ceiling in house. Perfect location that covers the whole house. Just need better speed.

Edited by t2clej

schoondoggy

Just to rule things out, when the MR1750 is plugged into the TL-SG1008P, is the 1000Mbps light lit for that port?

Is the connection from the ASUS router to the switch running at 1000Mbps as well?

t2clej

Just to rule things out, when the MR1750 is plugged into the TL-SG1008P, is the 1000Mbps light lit for that port?

Is the connection from the ASUS router to the switch running at 1000Mbps as well?

Yes to both. In fact one of the Asus routers is running off same switch as the MR1750 originally was.

schoondoggy

Do you have other WiFi devices you can test with? Just to rule out a compatability issue.

t2clej

Do you have other WiFi devices you can test with? Just to rule out a compatability issue.

Yes, I think I've determined it is the MR1750 that is limiting download speed. I have connected the following:

1 - Asus RT-AC68

2 - Ubiquiti Networks Unifi 802.11ac Dual-Radio PRO Access Point

3 - Linksys EA6700

To test download speed, I've used macbook pro and two windows machines.

All of those devices will consistently give speeds greater than 100 Mbps, typically 130-150 while the MR1750 has never broken 100.

schoondoggy

To test download speed, I've used macbook pro and two windows machines.

Sorry, I was only referring to clients. The Macbook Pro and the two Windows machines are WiFi and all three show the same results? The reason I asked was I have seen different WiFi performance depending on WAP and client WiFi combinations.