RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Wtd video card with hdmi and cec for kodi on Gen 8

compact

Hi

I have setup my Gen 8 with Win 10 & kodi and looking for a graphics card to out the video to my TV.

Can anyone recommend one that uses cec to so my TV remote can control kodi.

I've read that no graphics cards support this. However it works fine on my Raspberry Pi, so surely it should on more expensive pc gear?

Thanks

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

I'm not aware of such a graphics card. Your best bet would be something like a Usb CEC adapter like the one from Pulse eight:

https://www.pulse-eight.com/p/104/usb-hdmi-cec-adapter

But I don't see why don't you just install a DLNA server on the Gen8 and stream it over on the Kodi powered PI. This is my actual setup and I must say it works perfect, even with bigger 4Gb+ movies.

Hi

I've not thoughts about DLNA server, how does this work, would I see the Kodi interface on my TV and would I control it from my TV?

Or do you use Kodi on the PC, drive it from there and the image appears on the TV?

I use Kodi on the Raspberry PI. I use a Android app on my phone (allcast or localcast) to stream media from the DLNA server to Kodi.

There are plenty of tutorials on how to install both Kodi on the PI and miniDLNA on the Gen8. So use the Gen8 just as a file server and Kodi to deliver the media player. It is relatively easy.

Good luck!

Hi I've got kodi on my pi connecting to my readynas all controlled via the Sony TV remote, nice simple setup. However I was running out of space, so was look at my Gen 8 for more storage but maybe also an all in one box solution. Will see how a £30 video card works then maybe the plus eight cec adapter

Hi

I have setup my Gen 8 with Win 10 & kodi and looking for a graphics card to out the video to my TV.

Can anyone recommend one that uses cec to so my TV remote can control kodi.

I've read that no graphics cards support this. However it works fine on my Raspberry Pi, so surely it should on more expensive pc gear?

Thanks

I run an Intel NUC with OPENELEC with my data mapped from My Gen 8 server.

I tried to install kodi on the Gen8 with Win 7 but get the "Unable to create GUI" screen.

Does your kodi work on the win10 with a normal rgb monitor

Out of the box, my Gen 8, I've upgrade to 8GB Ram and an SSD.

With Windows 10 Pro it happily runs Kodi to my TV over VGA (and DLNA) at a rubbish resolution.

I'm getting a Saphire 5450 card to output to HDMI. Will let you know how it goes.

getting CEC to work is flaky at best.   

even built in hardware CEC doesnt work a lot of the time. and the pc options are worse

i use a windows media center usb connector and a harmony remote to control both kodi and WMC on my htpc  got an hp  ehome usb adpter cheap off ebay but there are other brands that also work

Out of the box, my Gen 8, I've upgrade to 8GB Ram and an SSD.

With Windows 10 Pro it happily runs Kodi to my TV over VGA (and DLNA) at a rubbish resolution.

I'm getting a Saphire 5450 card to output to HDMI. Will let you know how it goes.

check the kodi forums for harmony remote/htpc connection options

I also have a logitec k400 keyboard hooked to my htpc to do the ocasional maintenace, but the majority of the time, a harmony remote can do the job

if i were to set up again, i would use the flirc to connect the harmony remote to the htpc as it seems to be more powerful

http://mymediaexperience.com/flirc-remote-control-companion/

CEC on the Rasberry Pi & Kodi, using my Sony TV remote works a charm.

I use the circular arrow buttons to navigate, the central to select, Options is your menu button.

Works great, though typing URLS is a faff.

31IyEXdCd1L.jpg

I did actually buy the Flirc when I got my Rasberry Pi, but sold it as the CEC worked so good.

I'm going to try the Pulse Eight and if that doesn't work, maybe the Flirc

Hi just thought I'd give you a quick update.

I bought the Sapphire HD 5450 1G D3, this is a low profile card, you unscrew the VGA part and it fits nicely.

Installation was a fun challenge

1st after installing card and drivers (from the web), starting up Kodi you get Error: Exception caught on main loop exiting

This was resolved by going to the Graphics Card and Roll back Drivers.

Then I had no sound over HDMI. AMD HDMI Output, No HDMI

This was resolved by (after a lot of Googling, faffing, installing wrong drivers), updating the Device Drivers 

which led me to updating the AMD Radeon HD 5450 drivers to 15.201.1151.1008 (which I am sure counter acts the above Roll Back)

Anyway, I know have Kodi (The Beast build) running on my Gen8, 1920x1080, all for a £25 Graphics card upgrade (yes the same ish I paid for my Raspberry Pi B)

I'll see if I can pick up a cheap Pulse Eight CEC (as it might be cheaper) else it will be a Flirc and let you know.

Thanks for all the tips and help