RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Migration from Physical to Virtual

Harroguk

Hi Guys,

At the moment I have a Windows 2008 R2 server running on my physical box.

Server has 1 256GB x SSD in ODD (OS and Installed Apps)

2x 1TB HDD (Data)

2x 4TB HDD (Data)

All disks are set up in their own RAID 0 volumes with stablebit Drivepool combining the Data Disks into a single volume.

What I am looking to do is to take this server, P2V it and then rebuild the box with Hyper-V running on it so I can run the image of my server as a virtual server.

I imagine that the easiest way to do this will be to have the 4x Data disks pass through to the VM of my OS?

My difficulty is, how do I go about carrying out the P2V when I don't have a Hyper-V server currently?

Should I download a P2V tool and put the image of my server on to my data disks, then reinstall the bare-metal into a Hyper-V server before finally importing my P2V?

Or, is there another way to do it or something that I haven't thought about?

Thanks

Harroguk

I think I am missing your point here.

Yes I can boot into a VHD however I need to put my current bare metal install into a Hyper-V that I want to run on the current metal.

I think I am missing your point here.

Yes I can boot into a VHD however I need to put my current bare metal install into a Hyper-V that I want to run on the current metal.

Microsoft now have a free tool to do this... I've written some articles over at Experts Exchange to show you.... here they are...the supported method is to use Microsoft Virtual Machine Converter 3.1 (and I think Microsoft have now removed 3.1, and gone back to 3.0) so don't let that put you off, the process is exactly the same.

HOW TO:  P2V, V2V for FREE to Hyper-V -  Microsoft Virtual Machine Converter 3.1

c2c1b5ce-fef3-4ea7-8a53-b1a067994220.jpe

Step by Step tutorial here, with screenshots

HOW TO: Convert a physical server or virtual server (P2V/V2V) to Microsoft Hyper-V using Microsoft Virtual Machine Converter 3.1

The older legacy method, was to use Disk2VHD, to create your VHD, and then copy that to your Hyper-V bare metal server, and create a VM, and add the disk.

You can see that process here

http://www.altaro.com/hyper-v/using-disk2vhd-for-physical-to-virtual-conversions-p2v/

You will need to complete the P2V, store the resulting VHD, somewhere, blow away your physical installation, and re-install.

Just make sure, you have at least 3 copies, to be safe, before you destroy your server, or at least have the data safe.

Edited by einsteinagogo