RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

First Build

Ozzy

Hi,

I'm about to start my first home server build & looking for some advise.

The server will be used to backup my machines (mix of PC's & Mac's)so it would need to hold at least 5 drives (for expansion) as well as stream video. I would also want it to be able to run 1 vm.

From what I've read on the forum I'm thinking the core i3 530 would be the way to go.

I also like the Lian Li PC-Q08B case.

Any advise on the other components & tips would be welcome.

Thanks

Craig

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• usacomp2k3

• dvn

• pcdoc

• Ozzy

Top Posters In This Topic

For some reason, I was thinking that mac backup was only available as an OEM-supplied upgrade and no part of WHS1 native.

That is a nice little case. Seems a little pricey though. Is it going to be tucked away in a closet or out in the open? If the former, I'd suggest spending as little on the case as you can while still getting what you need, such as the 120mm fans.

I've built an Atom-based WHS, which I've since given to my daughter, using a PC-Q08. It's an excellent case with effective and quiet cooling. I really like this case and if I were to ever build a WHS for myself, this would be my first choice. I'll also add that the 600W modular Cooler Master PSU that I chose for this build had flat power cables which made cable management even easier.

I think you'll be on solid ground with the i3. The stock HSF isn't horrible, but if you're looking for better cooling and quieter performance, look at the heatpipe HSF's. I'm running an i3 in the tiny PC-Q07 and the noisiest component is the ODD. I replaced the stock HSF, which for an HTPC was a non-starter for me, with the low-profile Thermaltake Slim X3. It dropped the temps and noise very nicely. In the Lian Li case you're using, you can go bigger.

Have fun with that case and keep us posted.

Edited by dvn

For now I'll copy photos get from the mac but I'll really look at the mac backup when Vail is released.

I like that case because it has enough drive space & its small, I agree about the price but I haven't seen much else. Any suggestions?

I've been thinking 2GB Ram should be fine & does anyone have any recommendations for the motherboard?

If it were me, I would just start with the Vail beta and test it out for a couple of months. Be very careful with your data. When Vail goes GA, buy it and you are done. Forget ever considering WHS v1. With your MACs, it's not worth going back.

THe core I3 will be great for your server however based on a recent review we did on the BYOB show, I would stay away from that case. It is mistakenly not well designed espeically for a server case. It works OK, but it requires allot of disassembly to add or remove drives which is an issue for a home server build. Go for one of the other Lian Li cases. They are bit bigger but easier to work on.

If you plan to insert or pull HDD's frequently, then yes this case is more work than others. pcdoc makes a good point about that. It's something on the order of 4-5 minutes vs. 1-2 minutes to insert/pull an HDD. Plus you'll need to keep track of your hardware - thumbscrews and rubber shock absorbers.

But if you plan to build something you'll leave alone for the most part, and this is your choice, then go for it.

It's easy as 1...

11.jpg

-

10.jpg

-

9.jpg

-

...and 4

8.jpg

*I pulled the bottom 2-HDD cage when I tested this case for use as regular desktop PC. I put an i3 on a Gigabyte mini-ITX mobo, and stuck a 5770 in there. The cooling was up to the job.

**Keep in mind that you'll be using a mini-ITX mobo with this case. SATA connections will probably at a premium, limited to 4, but you can get around that with a SATA card in the PCIe slot.

Either way you go, keep us posted. Good luck.

Good eye. :) This is now my daughter's server, and she's doing fine with it. I only installed a minimal number of addins -> BDBB | Grid Junction | Disk Management | Advanced Admin Console. And of course I tested it to check upload/download speeds, plus movie streaming. Everything worked very well.