RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
Poppapete

Tech Preview 5 out

LoneWolf

It's been out for just a little bit.  I've installed it as a Hyper-V VM, but have had zero time to play with it, and sadly I won't this weekend either, as I'm re-creating the drive array that VM is on and restoring the data from backup.

HyperV is much closer to metal than ever before in 2016.  Also, Nano is a really interesting feature.  These have been out in previous technical previews but continue to get refined.

http://www.tomsitpro.com/articles/windows-server-2016-nano-server,2-897.html

Poppapete

It's been out for just a little bit.  I've installed it as a Hyper-V VM, but have had zero time to play with it, and sadly I won't this weekend either, as I'm re-creating the drive array that VM is on and restoring the data from backup.

HyperV is much closer to metal than ever before in 2016.  Also, Nano is a really interesting feature.  These have been out in previous technical previews but continue to get refined.

http://www.tomsitpro.com/articles/windows-server-2016-nano-server,2-897.html

What OS are you using for the Hype-V, W10, WS 2012E or ?

LoneWolf

What OS are you using for the Hype-V, W10, WS 2012E or ?

Server 2012R2 GUI with the HyperV role installed.

I keep contemplating whether to convert my 2012R2 GUI with Disk2VHD and then put HyperV as a hypervisor  on my server.  However, the one downside is that you lose a lot of the great KVM features that the iLO4 provides.  As I'm not running Windows 8.x or higher on any box but my HTPC (which is running Win8.1 Enterprise), I don't have a box with RSAT (remote server admin tools) that can do the HyperV console remotely (which would take over the KVM features outside of BIOS and boot).  To do that, I'd need to reload a desktop (I have the licenses), I'm just not sure I want to do it.  And I may not be sold on Windows 10 for a few more months, though truthfully, I should take my power desktop and convert the Win7 Ultimate key I have for it to Windows 10 before the deadline.

Poppapete

Interesting you not running W10. Maybe you are using WMC on the HTPC.  I was running my HyperV's on 2012R2E (not strictly legal) with an E3-1230 V3 3.3 GHz CPU and 32GB but moved them to my desktop with an i7 5930K CPU. Hyper-V's seem to work far better. Not sure if has anything to do with the W10 OS or just better CPU.  MB best to a have at least 2 Nics for a good HyperV experience.

Gmb1986

Anyone running 2016 on bare metal on the HP Gen8 that you know of?

jmwills

I'm running virtual

LoneWolf

Interesting you not running W10. Maybe you are using WMC on the HTPC.  I was running my HyperV's on 2012R2E (not strictly legal) with an E3-1230 V3 3.3 GHz CPU and 32GB but moved them to my desktop with an i7 5930K CPU. Hyper-V's seem to work far better. Not sure if has anything to do with the W10 OS or just better CPU.  MB best to a have at least 2 Nics for a good HyperV experience.

I happen to have Enterprise licensing for Win7 and Win8.1; I do not for Win10.  I'm running Win8.1 on the HTPC, which works just fine, with Classic Shell; also, 8.1 is very stable at this point and aside from the lack of Start Menu (which I've fixed), I generally get the performance of Windows 10 with the stability of Windows 8.1, which I feel really needs another six months (note:  I take the enterprise networking view in most cases, so I usually value stability above performance).  I'm running Kodi on the HTPC, so I don't need WMC; I have a TiVo Roamio Plus for DVR duties which I'm quite happy with.

The rest of my systems at home are running Windows 7 x64 Enterprise aside from the server, and VMs on the server (Ubuntu 16.04 LTS and Server 2016 TP5).  I'll probably up my laptop to Win8.1 Enterprise this summer, which will give the added benefit of using RSAT for Server 2012R2.  I do have several non-Enterprise licenses (my laptop, the SO's laptop, and a Win7 Ultimate NFR copy I won in the early days of 7 at a Microsoft TechNet briefing) that qualify for the W10 upgrade; I'll probably make sure I at least activate them prior to the upcoming date Microsoft expires the free upgrade, unless of course they extend it (which I suspect they will do).  If they don't, I'll activate, and then I may possibly roll back on some of those systems.  Win7 is supported with security updates until 2020, and I have yet to have need of features beyond Windows 8.1 with Classic Shell (the improved file copy from Win8.1/10 is probably the most significant option for me, yet ho-hum for many others).

The SO is a teacher; I upgrade her software gradually, as she's reasonable with tech, but comfortable with what she knows and likes.  She'll be getting a "new to her" laptop once school is out (an HP ProBook first-gen Core i-Series that I'm rebuilding with a new CPU, better wireless card, and an SSD), and we'll see if she likes Windows 10 or if we go backwards to make her more comfortable.

Poppapete

I know A number of friends who after upgrading to 10 from 7 have rolled back to 7.  Usually because some app they like does not function properly.  MS would never let us know how many have done this but it would be an interesting figure!

LoneWolf

I know A number of friends who after upgrading to 10 from 7 have rolled back to 7.  Usually because some app they like does not function properly.  MS would never let us know how many have done this but it would be an interesting figure!

Windows 10 as an upgrade install is honestly a crap-shoot.  We have had upgrades at work go absolutely fine.  We have had ones where everything broke.  I myself had one that worked fine, only for me to run Windows Updates, whereupon the first round of updates broke Winsock and the TCP/IP stack completely and I couldn't repair it; I had to roll back.  And you're right about applications, and some people have found that when Windows 10 finds an application that's not compatible, the upgrade process just removes it.

I no longer recommend an upgrade install now that one can use the existing key to validate a clean Win7 install.  And then, it's all about drivers.  Newer systems are just fine.  Older systems are again a mixed bag.  I set up an HP that I upgraded to an Athlon II X4 with 6GB of RAM; it worked fine.  A few others may require older drivers run in compatibility mode to get certain kinds of hardware to work.  And some others are just best staying on Windows 7.  Microsoft even prevents some of their older applications from installing at all on Windows 10, and if you don't wish to pay and upgrade them, rolling back is your only option.