RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

iLO, microSD and IP trouble

Rado

Greetings! My first post here..

I have 2 Microservers Gen 8 and tried to play with Intelligent Provisioning. My goal was to install Windows on the microSD cards on both servers and ran into strange issue.

Microserver 1:

- 64GB A-Data card

- iLO ver. 2.40 Dec 02 2015

- IP ver. 1.61.45

Microserver 2:

- 32GB SanDisk card

- iLO ver. 2.40 Dec 02 2015

- IP ver. 1.50.130

on Microserver 2 I was able to complete installation and have Windows 8.1 working (whole process was slow, took ages to complete, with multiple reboots and one blue screen. .iso mounted via iLO virtual media, IP recognized distribution as Windows Server 2012).

on Microserver 1 when it comes to partitioning server reboots. Tried to swap the cards - no luck. Reboots again.

This causes me to think that problem is related to IP version. Does anybody have similar observation? If yes - what is the latest IP version that allows use of non-HP microsd cards and how to downgrade to it?

IP should only be used for supported OS's, Windows 8.1 is not a supported OS. It is not a good practice to run OS on microSD cards. Hypervisors like ESXi can boot from microSD because the load into memory and run from memory.

Hi schoondoggy, thank you for reply.

I started this test just to check is it possible to install on non-HP microSD when I saw the prices of HP microSDs - 100-130$ for 32GB. Didn't they have enough options, licenses, etc. to squeeze more money from users?

IP should only be used for supported OS's, Windows 8.1 is not a supported OS. 

I know that, but at the moment of testing I had only Windows 8.1 at hand. I can test it again with Windows server 2012, but I'm sure that it will fail again. Failure happens just when IP tries to repartition the microSD.

It is not a good practice to run OS on microSD cards. Hypervisors like ESXi can boot from microSD because the load into memory and run from memory.

You're right, it's almost unusable. I did it just for testing, to see is there a way to trick the IP to install on non-HP microSD. More interesting is that Windows works a little bit better on A-Data card instead of SanDisk. HP is listed as a partner on SanDisk's website, so I expected that SanDisk microSD will work better. 

For now I plan to use these Microservers for ESXi which works OK on both, so downgrading IP is not a big problem. Just wanted to know is there a way to downgrade and how to do it. If somebody here did this already please share some experience.

The HP Enterprise microSD cards are a much different design than traditional cards, thus they are much more expensive. Not sure about back reving IP.

There is nothing special or different about HP SD cards. Just like everything else that HP sells, it is backed by an enterprise level support system, and that costs money to run, which someone has to pay for (hint: it's not HP).

You can't easily run Windows off an SD card; I honestly don't get why people keep trying to do this.

Running ESXi off SD is brilliant and works perfectly.

The HP Enterprise microSD cards are a much different design than traditional cards, thus they are much more expensive. Not sure about back reving IP.

We found when HP first started doing IP, PNY manufactured the cards for HP, e.g. OEMed them to HP, and PNY Microsd cards used to work, for IP, and were much cheaper. £50 a card is nothing to an organisation, which uses IP on a daily basis, but is a bit rich for a SOHO... (if PNY are a manufacturer, or HP IP cards, were rebranded PNY items)

and PNY Sd and microsd cards were good to test.

BUT, this got changed, and recent PN cards to do work. So there has been a change again.

Edited by einsteinagogo

There is nothing special or different about HP SD cards. Just like everything else that HP sells, it is backed by an enterprise level support system, and that costs money to run, which someone has to pay for (hint: it's not HP).

AFAIK the HPE SD cards are SLC flash which has a higher endurance rating. Pretty much all consumer SD cards are MLC which is higher density but has a lower lifespan.
  • Like 1

When it's up to endurance there are enough manufacturers that produce automotive and/or industrial grade SD cards.

As einsteinagogo mentioned above - these money are too much for SOHO. So, Microservers are too small for enterprise (and don't fit nicely in a rack), but are limited with expensive options. I think that's nasty. A warning message informing the user that (s)he's doing something on own risk (SOHO users can live with that :D ) is better than expensive options and locked functionality.