RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
RobWu

slooow data traffic on newly installed 2012 R2 - help needed

RobWu

Hi all,

Just finished installing my new Gen8 with 2012 Ess. R2, as a WHSv1 replacement, and copied the data over to the newly created shares via a HD, after some testing of the new server.
This all went without any issues.
Other than creating new users, and the shares I haven't really set up anything else so far. And I haven't installed the connector yet, but did uninstall the old WHSv1 connector from the PC's.

This morning I accessed the shares for the first time from my PC, and to my surprise my up/down speeds are horribly slow. Down is appr. 10-15Mb/s, and up is appr. 1-2 Mb/s!!!

On my Surface2 it's even worse. So... this is unworkable, especially because I deal with files that are quite large.
As this always worked with the whsv1 setup (PC's up/down appr. 55-60Mb/s, WIfi appr. half of that), I can only assume there's something different in the 2012 Ess.R2 setup.

I browsed the forum here, and found some posts on this, but getting a bit confused on all the possible issues.

My setup atm is as follows:

Internet is coming in via cable, the cable box is also the DHCP server, giving out IP's to the PC's. (192.168.178.0xx, 255.255.255.0)
The cable box is connected to a unmanaged Netgear switch, as are all other PC's and the new server. Like in the WHSv1 situation.

so:  Internet -->> cablebox (DCHP) -->> Netgear switch <<-- PC's + Server

The new 2012 server has been given a static IP (192.168.178.100 - same as the old WHSv1 box), and DNS settings are set the same as the PC clients get from the cable box.
All PC's / Surface2 / server can see/access each other without any problems.

As suggested in some of the other threads, running a ping and tracert to/from the PC's and server will work just fine. Also a basic tracert to e.g. Google.com from the server works, so Internet is working too.

So atm I'm a bit at a loss what to do next. Hopefully it's something very basic, and solved easily.

cheers,

rob

p.s. original post moved from 2012 essentials thread, sorry about that...

RobWu

In addition to the above:
Windows 2012 Ess. R2 OS on a SSD on the ODD5 port, and 4 3TB WD Red's in RAID1.
In Windows this is one 5.4TB volume, formatted to NTFS.

RobWu

Aaand back again... Always nice to talk to yourself so to speak... LOL!

So I gave a PC a static IP and connected it directly to the server. And behold: up/down speeds are appr. 100-110Mb/s. That's what we want :-)

I kept the static IP's, but plugged everything back into the switch, and network speeds drop significantly again. Something goes wrong when data is moved via the switch.
That's one down, one to go I guess.

rob

HellDiverUK

In addition to the above:

Windows 2012 Ess. R2 OS on a SSD on the ODD5 port, and 4 3TB WD Red's in RAID1.

In Windows this is one 5.4TB volume, formatted to NTFS.

RAID 1 is a mirror.  If you're getting one 5.4TB volume, then there's something wrong.  You're either running RAID1 and not using two of your four drives, or you're actually running RAID10.

RobWu

Hi,

I have two volumes set up on the B120i, one volume has the single OS drive, the other volume contains the 4 3Tb disks set to RAID1.

This shows up in Windows as one volume of appr. 5.4 Tb, and was formatted as such.

Unless I set this up wrong in the beginning, I'm running RAID 1+0. If not, I'm all ears how to fix this ;-)

In addition, after a day of hunting why my pc's will connect to the server so slowly with the current switch, I gave up and bought a new one. This one will arrive on Tuesday, i'll keep you posted on how that goes.

rob

Edited by RobWu

itGeeks

Hi,

I have two volumes set up on the B120i, one volume has the single OS drive, the other volume contains the 4 3Tb disks set to RAID1.

This shows up in Windows as one volume of appr. 5.4 Tb, and was formatted as such.

Unless I set this up wrong in the beginning, I'm running RAID 1+0. If not, I'm all ears how to fix this ;-)

In addition, after a day of hunting why my pc's will connect to the server so slowly with the current switch, I gave up and bought a new one. This one will arrive on Tuesday, i'll keep you posted on how that goes.

rob

Originally you said you have 4 drives in a "RAID1" and it was showing 5.4 TB in the OS and that's y HellDiverUK was trying to say either something is very wrong or your running RAID10, So your running RAID10 and now that makes sense. 4 3TB drives in a RAID1 would of given you 3TB usable 9TB not usable.

Here is a nice RAID calculator https://www.synology.com/en-us/support/RAID_calculator

Edited by itGeeks

RobWu

HI,

Yeah sorry for the confusion. A typo is quickly made ;-)

I hope the new switch will some of the network issues, as it is driving me crazy atm.

rob

itGeeks

HI,

Yeah sorry for the confusion. A typo is quickly made ;-)

I hope the new switch will some of the network issues, as it is driving me crazy atm.

rob

No worries, Typo's happen to all of us one time or another. :) Good luck, Please keep us posted.

RobWu

OK,

I've been completing my network settings, and having some more oddities here. I don't think that these are switch related.

So I completed the DNS setup on the server and workstations, all have static IP's. (server has no DHCP role running)

The workstations are looking at the server for DNS addresses, like this:
192.168.178.xx / 255.255.255.0 / 192.168.178.1 // 192.168.178.1 / 192.168.178.100

and the server looks at itself:

192.168.1.100 / 255.255.255.0 / 192.168.178.1 // 127.0.0.1 / 192.168.178.1

The DNS Manager has DNS forwarding set to the ISP and Google (for backup).

Here's the first issue: on the server, the forwarded DNS addresses of the ISP will not resolve, but the Google addresses will.
I looked at the firewall settings etc., but cannot find something yet. So what's going wrong here?

The second "issue" is the HTPC (Win10). This one is still set up the 'old way', that is (dynamic) IP and DNS are given by the cable box.
The Internet connection speed on the HTPC is like it should be, appr. 150Mbps down, 50Mbps up.
On my workstations (Win7), after the IP/DNS changes I get Internet connection speeds of appr. 5-10Mbps and -lots- of timeouts when connecting to webpages.

The third issue is probably related, and is with RDC. I can logon to the server without any problems from a workstation, and is quite fast to do so.
But I keep getting connection drops every couple of minutes. It will resolve the connection though.

So with the server added to the mix, my Internet/LAN access speeds drop dramatically.
-All- PC's connected to the server, including the HTPC, have terrible LAN connection speeds to the server. Think Kb/s up and down..... :-\

Again, If I plug one of my workstations directly to the server, it's back at 120-140Mb/s up/down.

I've tried to set NICS's from 'automatic' to '1Gb Full duplex' to see if this help, but no luck.

It seems there's some conflict going on regarding resolving IP and/or DNS addresses, at least on the data transfer level.

Hope this makes sense to someone, as the Internet speed differences between the PC's is quite confusing, in addition to the slow access to the server.

cheers!

rob

Edited by RobWu

itGeeks

OK,

I've been completing my network settings, and having some more oddities here. I don't think that these are switch related.

So I completed the DNS setup on the server and workstations, all have static IP's. (server has no DHCP role running)

The workstations are looking at the server for DNS addresses, like this:

192.168.178.xx / 255.255.255.0 / 192.168.178.1 // 192.168.178.1 / 192.168.178.100

and the server looks at itself:

192.168.1.100 / 255.255.255.0 / 192.168.178.1 // 127.0.0.1 / 192.168.178.1

The DNS Manager has DNS forwarding set to the ISP and Google (for backup).

Here's the first issue: on the server, the forwarded DNS addresses of the ISP will not resolve, but the Google addresses will.

I looked at the firewall settings etc., but cannot find something yet. So what's going wrong here?

The second "issue" is the HTPC (Win10). This one is still set up the 'old way', that is (dynamic) IP and DNS are given by the cable box.

The Internet connection speed on the HTPC is like it should be, appr. 150Mbps down, 50Mbps up.

On my workstations (Win7), after the IP/DNS changes I get Internet connection speeds of appr. 5-10Mbps and -lots- of timeouts when connecting to webpages.

The third issue is probably related, and is with RDC. I can logon to the server without any problems from a workstation, and is quite fast to do so.

But I keep getting connection drops every couple of minutes. It will resolve the connection though.

So with the server added to the mix, my Internet/LAN access speeds drop dramatically.

-All- PC's connected to the server, including the HTPC, have terrible LAN connection speeds to the server. Think Kb/s up and down..... :-\

Again, If I plug one of my workstations directly to the server, it's back at 120-140Mb/s up/down.

I've tried to set NICS's from 'automatic' to '1Gb Full duplex' to see if this help, but no luck.

It seems there's some conflict going on regarding resolving IP and/or DNS addresses, at least on the data transfer level.

Hope this makes sense to someone, as the Internet speed differences between the PC's is quite confusing, in addition to the slow access to the server.

cheers!

rob

Wow lots of things going on here. For starters I would not use ur ISP's DNS for th internal clients/servers, The only thing that should be configured to use ur ISP's DNS is there modem/router to provide DNS service to the edge of your network. I would configure the forwarders on the server to either use Google DNS or  OpenDNS then have all your clients point to the server. As far as the HTPC goes you say its using a different DNS, Don't do that, Everything on your network should be using the same DNS either your server or router. Never hand out the public IP addresses of the DNS to the clients always hand out the private address of the device the has the public addresses such as your server that does the forwarding or your routers LAN IP address.

As a test leave the server pointing to itself and setup the DNS forwarding on the server to use GoogleDNS then run a speed test on the server and see what happens. If that passes then take one client at a time and point its DNS to the servers IP address for its DNS and run a speed test on the client, Keep going like this till something brakes the performance then you will know where ur problems are.

It also looks like ur using two diffrent IP addresses on the sever, Are you and Y?

Edited by itGeeks