RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
oj88

So my ISP just put me behind a NAT...

GotNoTime

When Verizon implemented it for some of their DSL customers, you could opt out from their website. They've still got guides on their website for doing port forwarding on a residential connection so they're not doing it purely to make you get a FiOS or business class connection.

As I mentioned above, one of the reasons you can give for requiring a public IP address would be gaming. A lot of games don't work properly without port forwarding or UPNP on NAT. CGN would break them as well.

Edited by GotNoTime

oj88

I can concur on the gaming bit. I myself don't own a gaming console but my brother does. He did mention that certain features aren't available if certain ports aren't forwarded.

I called up the ISP last night to log a complaint. I'm just waiting for their response. Fingers crossed.

oj88

Everything is fine now, thank goodness!

They returned my call and admitted that my line was incorrectly configured at their end. As of this morning, I am now receiving a public IP in the 49.x.x.x block. Plex, WHS, my IP cams, etc. are all working. All's well with my universe. :)

Though, the skeptic in me thinks that the 'mistake' is a just spiel. To save IP addresses, they decided to silently migrate subscribers to the shared address space (RFC6598). Subscribers who only do traditional browsing won't notice it, while those who do more than simple browsing (just a small handful, I suppose) can become an exception to the rule ... but only if these subscribers made any complaints.

Thanks to all that helped.

GotNoTime

Though, the skeptic in me thinks that the 'mistake' is a just spiel. To save IP addresses, they decided to silently migrate subscribers to the shared address space (RFC6598). Subscribers who only do traditional browsing won't notice it, while those who do more than simple browsing (just a small handful, I suppose) can become an exception to the rule ... but only if these subscribers made any complaints.

It sounds like this to me as well. They're probably testing CGN and seeing who notices/complains.

itGeeks

Everything is fine now, thank goodness!

They returned my call and admitted that my line was incorrectly configured at their end. As of this morning, I am now receiving a public IP in the 49.x.x.x block. Plex, WHS, my IP cams, etc. are all working. All's well with my universe. :)

Thanks to all that helped.

Congratulations, I am glad you got it sorted out. This was an interesting talk and I have once again learned something new, I have never heard of this address space before.

When Verizon implemented it for some of their DSL customers, you could opt out from their website. They've still got guides on their website for doing port forwarding on a residential connection so they're not doing it purely to make you get a FiOS or business class connection.

As I mentioned above, one of the reasons you can give for requiring a public IP address would be gaming. A lot of games don't work properly without port forwarding or UPNP on NAT. CGN would break them as well.

Could you please provide the link to the guides on how to port forward with CGN? I would be very interested in how to do that with a none rout IP

Edited by itGeeks

GotNoTime

Could you please provide the link to the guides on how to port forward with CGN? I would be very interested in how to do that with a none rout IP

You can't port forward with CGN. I meant that Verizon support port forwarding for residential connections as they've got guides on their website. As a separate thing, you can/could opt out of CGN via their website.