RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
GotNoTime

AmpliFi by Ubiquiti

whsbuss

The new Netgear is at a much higher price point. So far the only advantage I see is that it uses the third 5ghz channel for creating its mesh. I still think for the price it is going to be very hard to beat the Ubiquiti. 

Agreed. Besides Netgear only has two units. I like AmpliFi's setup better.

itGeeks

The new Netgear is at a much higher price point. So far the only advantage I see is that it uses the third 5ghz channel for creating its mesh. I still think for the price it is going to be very hard to beat the Ubiquiti. 

Price yes, Performance not so much. Ubiq has said to me we can expect a 30% drop in performance using the mesh points because they use the same 2.4 and 5 GHz radios as the clients and its only SU-MIMO unlike Orbi that use a dedicated 5 GHz MU-MIMO radio for the remotes also Netgear is saying you get more coverage with there 2 pack over the competition, We will just have to wait and see on that. Also worth noting is Orbi has parental controls and AmpliFi does not as of now. At the end of the day this is all vary exciting and options are good.

RobbieH

The Netgear review I read a couple of days ago said 4,000 sq ft. Ubiquiti says 10,000 for the cheapest one and 20,000 at the higher end.

You are right, it's all exciting to see what happens. Personally I don't like the solutions for my use, but that's why I have all wired Ubiuqiti APs around the house. I'm really digging how well they are working. I have one more to install out by the pool, going to try it over Powerline.

If I were building a mesh system to sell, I'd do the mesh over some completely different radio system. There has to be a better way than using wifi.

Edited by RobbieH

itGeeks

The Netgear review I read a couple of days ago said 4,000 sq ft. Ubiquiti says 10,000 for the cheapest one and 20,000 at the higher end.

You are right, it's all exciting to see what happens. Personally I don't like the solutions for my use, but that's why I have all wired Ubiuqiti APs around the house. I'm really digging how well they are working. I have one more to install out by the pool, going to try it over Powerline.

I am with you and is y I was using Untangle/Open-Mesh and I don't think I would ever give up the warm and fuzzy feeling I get running a nice firewall/UTM solution with separate WAP's. Some of these new products fit very nicely into that configuration if all the walls and ceilings are closed and you can't get Ethernet to solutions like Unifi and OM. I wish OM would come out with a tabletop unit or a tabletop stand for there MR1750. I also wonder if Asus is going to come out with a mesh solution? I have been a big fan of Asus for years and there management interface is bar none. Now only if Untangle would partner with some of these company to give us some of the best gateway protection with some of this great hardware all in an easy to administer interface I would be a happy man. Untangle already supports the Asus AC88U with more to come says Untangle.

https://www.untangle.com/press-releases/untangle-announces-router-operating-system/

RobbieH

Agreed. It would take something major to get me to move away from my UTM 9 solution. I have not found anything else that has the feature set it has, and that I want. I demand geo-location blocking since I have internet facing open ports on the firewall. That one item kills most of the other solutions out there that are not extremely expensive.

whsbuss

Have you watched the video on their site? Man that unit is Huge!

whsbuss

Here's a quick video showing setup and app operation on AmpliFi

• Like 1

itGeeks

Agreed. It would take something major to get me to move away from my UTM 9 solution. I have not found anything else that has the feature set it has, and that I want. I demand geo-location blocking since I have internet facing open ports on the firewall. That one item kills most of the other solutions out there that are not extremely expensive.

When was the last time you took a look at Untangle? The new v12.1 update added geo-location that said it is not recommened to block entire countys becouse it could and probably will break more then it fixes problems as I have seen and Dirk Morris CEO of Untangle talks about on the webinar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxb0qFovy6g&list=PLEmLjXbx3TfA7BwKIlkSTNV8TJ8BSXg16&index=4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtny0wrVRzM&list=PLEmLjXbx3TfA7BwKIlkSTNV8TJ8BSXg16&index=3

Its funny I switched from Untangle some time ago to Sophos v9 because I thought I was missing something not having the ability to block by country but after getting it all setup I quickly realized that things where broke because of it and after several weeks of trying to tune it I just gave up and turned it off. Another thing that has come to light is according to Dirk there are more threats hosted on US servers then anywhere else so blocking other country really does not make you as safe as one thinks. Dirk says it all in the first link above and also demonstrates how if you blocked China you would break some Microsoft stuff. I use Untangle and love it but I don't use the geo blocking, Untangle gives me much less stress on a home network and is easier to manage then Sophos in my humble opinion. Untangle also caters to home users now unlike Sophos so its a win-win situation.

RobbieH

So far I haven't had any issues with UTM blocking anything that should not be (inbound). In my case, my sites are nothing critical, so if it does I don't really care. Now, OUTBOUND blocking is a different story. In fact, recently Plex (or Amazon) moved their sites hosted by Amazon Web Services (AWS) to Ireland, and it broke the application for quite a few people. I don't do much outbound blocking, but it just so happened that I was blocking Ireland and Plex broke for me. All I did was run some quick logs and I figured it out, and posted the fix to Plex's forum. I do purposely block some countries outbound, such as the typical countries that host malware. 

I haven't looked at Untangle in a long time. It wouldn't be hard for me to do it since all I have to do is spin up a VM, but I don't have time to do it right now. I'll keep it in the back of my mind though.

Edited by RobbieH

Jason

Like RobbieH, I too run Sophos UTM 9.  Works reliably for me.  Am running on an Intel G1610 Celeron box w/ 8 GB RAM and 4 Nics (only 2 used).  Sophos has taken some time to tune, but haven't felt the need to fix something that isn't broken.  Untangle is intriguing and perhaps will consider as a winter indoor project.

People have suggested running ESXi on this hardware and Sophos UTM as a VM but I've never done this... as if my UTM hardward has more potential than what I'm using it for... but I actually built it only to be a firewall appliance.