RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
GotNoTime

AmpliFi by Ubiquiti

tjstansell

Skimming through the AmpliFi User Guide at https://amplifi.com/docs/AmpliFi_UG.pdf, it mentions support for enabling both band steering and router steering (both of which are disabled by default).  It also mentions the mesh points use 5Ghz by default to talk to the base, but you can switch it to the 2.4 Ghz band (presumably if you have too many walls for a good 5Ghz signal or something).  So, that prompted me to chat with one of their support guys about it to clarify a couple of points.  Here's the transcript:

(10:26:24) *** todd joined the chat ***
   (10:26:24) todd: I have questions about what bands the mesh points use.
   I know the HD version includes support for 802.11ac, but do all of the
   models support both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz bands?
   (10:26:41) *** Trent Barben joined the chat ***
   (10:26:57) Trent Barben: Hi Todd. Yes all model support both bands.
   (10:28:20) todd: And I read in the User's Guide that the mesh points
   use 5Ghz by default to talk to the base unit. Does that mean that if
   clients use 5Ghz to talk to the mesh point, it will be like a repeater
   and you'll effectively get half the normal bandwidth because it's
   repeating?
   (10:29:55) todd: I guess I'm curious what kinds of speeds we can expect
   when going through a mesh point, given there's no ethernet backhaul
   ability.
   (10:30:54) Trent Barben: If you are connected to The Mesh points you
   will not have the full speed that comes from the router. It doesn't cut
   the speed in half, it is more like you will get about 75% of the speed
   that you would get from the router.
   (10:31:48) todd: in the non-HD versions, is it simply using 802.11n,
   then to talk to the base?
   (10:32:07) Trent Barben: Correct.
   (10:32:33) todd: do you know if there will be support in the future for
   adding more than 2 mesh points to a base?
   (10:33:04) Trent Barben: Yes, we are planning on selling additional
   mesh points during the holiday season.
   (10:34:08) todd: does it support beamsteering for devices that support
   it? both in the base unit and in the HD mesh points?
   (10:34:27) Trent Barben: No, it does not.

Edited by tjstansell

awraynor

I thought they mentioned before extra mesh points would be coming in September. I wonder how much they will cost per each?

schoondoggy

I thought they mentioned before extra mesh points would be coming in September. I wonder how much they will cost per each?

Has anyone asked how far away from the router the points can be and what the broadcast pattern looks like for a point?

Sorry if I missed it.

awraynor

Has anyone asked how far away from the router the points can be and what the broadcast pattern looks like for a point?

Sorry if I missed it.

Wow.

We recommend to keep mesh point at a distance of 100 feet from the router to get maximum coverage.

Yes it broadcast 360 degree.

We dont have information about price of extra mesh point.

But it will be updated on our website soon.

itGeeks

Okay. On their site if you put the HD in the cart it says shipping in 5-6 weeks. 

According to customer service threw chat the LR and HD version will start shipping beginning of September.

Wonder if any retail outlet will carry the AmpliFi? MicroCenter carries the UniFi stuff

Yes but I am not sure hew else other then Newegg and Amazon as of now, If I had to guess AmpliFi will be sitting rite next to Eero/Luma in stores like Best Buy after all this is a war on mesh networking.  :)

• Like 2

RobbieH

Bad news on my end. My friend cancelled his order. Contrary to what Ubiquiti's website says, the $199 version does not ship for three more weeks, but the LD one is shipping already. So, in the meantime he canceled his order and I'm going to take one of my now spare Asus RT66Us over to see if I can solve his issues with just one good access point rather than using his crappy Actiontec Verizon FiOS wifi.

Regarding the post at the top of this page, if the Amplifi also supports Airtime Fair Use, they disable by default on their access points, so you'll also have to turn this on manually.

awraynor

According to customer service threw chat the LR and HD version will start shipping beginning of September.

Yes but I am not sure hew else other then Newegg and Amazon as of now, If I had to guess AmpliFi will be sitting rite next to Eero/Luma in stores like Best Buy after all this is a war on mesh networking.  :)

Yep. Saw the Eero and Luma boxes at my Best Buy this weekend. Networking products at the front, not in the back with the computers .

itGeeks

Bad news on my end. My friend cancelled his order. Contrary to what Ubiquiti's website says, the $199 version does not ship for three more weeks, but the LD one is shipping already. So, in the meantime he canceled his order and I'm going to take one of my now spare Asus RT66Us over to see if I can solve his issues with just one good access point rather than using his crappy Actiontec Verizon FiOS wifi.

Regarding the post at the top of this page, if the Amplifi also supports Airtime Fair Use, they disable by default on their access points, so you'll also have to turn this on manually.

Your friend canceling his order maybe a blessing now with the new Netgear Orbi that was just announced and will be available in September there maybe better options. I was hot on the heals of AmpliFi and hot to get one till this latest announcement, Exciting times in this space for sure.

Yep. Saw the Eero and Luma boxes at my Best Buy this weekend. Networking products at the front, not in the back with the computers .

I bet, Did you see the empty spot rite next to Eero and Luma for the upcoming Orbi?  :)

Edited by itGeeks

RobbieH

Your friend canceling his order maybe a blessing now with the new Netgear Orbi that was just announced and will be available in September there maybe better options. I was hot on the heals of AmpliFi and hot to get one till this latest announcement, Exciting times in this space for sure.

I bet, Did you see the empty spot rite next to Eero and Luma for the upcoming Orbi?  :)

The new Netgear is at a much higher price point. So far the only advantage I see is that it uses the third 5ghz channel for creating its mesh. I still think for the price it is going to be very hard to beat the Ubiquiti. 

Edited by RobbieH