RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
GotNoTime

AmpliFi by Ubiquiti

itGeeks

Completely agree. Was looking or a simple to setup product with family filtering, decent speeds and the ability to handle the many devices on my network. I perceived that as the promise of Luma and that promise was not kept. That is why it is going back.

Unless Amplifi wows us, I suspect I'll just keep my Eero. My 30-day return period will be finished by the time it is released and reviewed, but I can still sell it on E-Bay and at least break even. For filtering it is apparent I'll have to add Circle or an alternative. 

Been a while since networking has been interesting, but boy what a difference a few months makes. 

I am told by ubiq that the standard 199.00 version of AmpliFi is shipping now.

• Like 1

whsbuss

I am told by ubiq that the standard 199.00 version of AmpliFi is shipping now.

Great news. Hopefully the HD model will ship on the 17th

awraynor

Great news. Hopefully the HD model will ship on the 17th

17th of September?

itGeeks

17th of September?

August 2016

itGeeks

August 2016

Just had a chat with them and they are saying the HD version will ship end of the month (August). Also found out they will add some more security to the product when the web interface gets released with an ETA of end of September. AmpliFi already supports 'statefull packet inspection' (SPI) unlike Luma so out of the box AmpliFi has a much better firewall then Luma, I don't know about Eero. Now I am even more excited to dump Luma and get on-board with AmpliFi. See the chat below-

Ray
Aug 10, 03:24 PDT
Chat started: 2016-08-10 09:48 AM UTC
(09:48:11 AM) Ray: Hi

When will Amplifi HD be shipping?

(09:48:21 AM) *** Ron T joined the chat ***

(09:48:24 AM) Ron T: Hi Ray

(09:48:50 AM) Ron T: Amplifi HD model will start shipping from end of this Month

(09:51:04 AM) Ray: Thanks. Does the Amplifi product use a separate radio for connecting the 'mesh points' or does it use the 2.4 or 5 GHz radio shared with the clients?

(09:51:37 AM) Ron T: It uses the 2.4 and 5GHz

(09:52:42 AM) Ray: So it's going to suffer on speed, The clients that is?

(09:53:36 AM) Ron T: No, in HD the mesh points are with AC technology

(09:54:34 AM) Ron T: You will get the good speed

(09:55:38 AM) Ray: Thanks but what about the standard 199.99 unit? I would think most peaple would only need that package as it covers 10,000 sqft?

(09:58:26 AM) Ron T: The Base router is actually designed for the small homes

(10:00:06 AM) Ray: Yes so since it does not use AC with the mesh points and the mesh points use the same radio's to mesh as the clients use won't that affect speed?

(10:01:34 AM) Ron T: There will be slight degradation when it moves from base station to mesh points

(10:05:07 AM) Ray: OK. Is there any plans to build security into AmpliFi? It seems to be lacking and as you know in this day in age with all the threats out there I would think security should be front and center, I am talking parental controls, malware, virus scanning, ect.

(10:07:15 AM) Ron T: At this stage these features are not available but once the web console get introduced, it would be added

(10:08:40 AM) Ray: Web console? sounds exciting, This is the first time I am hearing about this could you tell me more about it?

(10:10:53 AM) Ron T: Web console is nothing but the login interface of the router where you can configure the device through web browser

(10:12:05 AM) Ray: Thanks. Do you have an ETA for that? I thought we could do that now was my understanding

(10:13:28 AM) Ron T: At this stage we don't have the exact ETA, but it might be available in the end of the Sept.

(10:14:56 AM) Ray: Sounds great. Last qwestion, Just so I am clear what type of network protection will be active at that time of release?

(10:18:28 AM) Ron T: Sorry, we don't have the exact info regarding the network protection but once it will launch it will be updated on the website

(10:20:46 AM) Ray: OK but it will launch at the same time as the web interface or there about for sure?

(10:22:09 AM) Ron T: We are expecting the both at the same time

(10:23:17 AM) Ray: OK thanks Ron, You been very helpful. Have a great day.

(10:23:40 AM) Ron T: It was pleasure to assist you

(10:23:51 AM) Ron T: Thanks for chatting with us

(10:24:31 AM) *** Ron T left the chat ***

Edited by itGeeks

whsbuss

That's great information. For them to offer a web interface will be a great addition to the iOS/Android app. In my case the HD version will be overkill for distance/coverage but its the right one to get. If it works as good as their AC-Pro AP I will be a happy camper.

• Like 1

awraynor

Just returned Luma this morning. Wife isn't excited about the Eero devices being visible. Maybe get AmplifiHD and they would be less visible.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

itGeeks

Just returned Luma this morning. Wife isn't excited about the Eero devices being visible. Maybe get AmplifiHD and they would be less visible.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Just spoke to Luma, Waiting for my RMA then off they go.

• Like 1

awraynor

August 2016

Okay. On their site if you put the HD in the cart it says shipping in 5-6 weeks. 

whsbuss

Wonder if any retail outlet will carry the AmpliFi? MicroCenter carries the UniFi stuff