RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
GotNoTime

AmpliFi by Ubiquiti

awraynor

I had a quick chat w/AmpliFi support today (love its always available on the site) regarding the HD unit and 802.11ac speeds. As I thought the remote antennas repeat all signals on all streams from the main router unit. So that means AC speeds can be realized anywhere you have a signal worthy of it. Also an update - U.S. availability for the HD unit is approx. 1 month. Just in time to test with my new iPhone 7 !!

If Amplifi performs a lot better than Eero I would have no trouble switching. Pretty exciting times. Maybe Dave could get Keenan Lewis (@kjepp4) on 

to talk about their new products. He was already on the hometech.fm podcast. 

• Like 1

itGeeks

If Amplifi performs a lot better than Eero I would have no trouble switching. Pretty exciting times. Maybe Dave could get Keenan Lewis (@kjepp4) on 

to talk about their new products. He was already on the hometech.fm podcast. 

Its already reported the Amplifi is the top performer according to reviews. Exciting times indeed. For anyone interested in the hometech podcast with Keenan Lewis, Here it is http://www.hometech.fm/?offset=1467378000746

I had a quick chat w/AmpliFi support today (love its always available on the site) regarding the HD unit and 802.11ac speeds. As I thought the remote antennas repeat all signals on all streams from the main router unit. So that means AC speeds can be realized anywhere you have a signal worthy of it. Also an update - U.S. availability for the HD unit is approx. 1 month. Just in time to test with my new iPhone 7 !!

Thanks for the update, Your findings about the HD being AC through and through is what I found out also.

Edited by itGeeks

whsbuss

And with AmpliFi offering 3 different models (basic, intermediate, HD) it is indeed exciting times. There are less and less geeks like us who love to engineer and test these systems. AND they are cheaper than EERO. Seems initial reviews have them faster then eero by a decent margin. Time will tell.

• Like 1

awraynor

Well at the moment there is a Luma 3-pack pre-order going for $240 on E-Bay,

There is also an Eero 3-pack still open for 19 hrs that is at $410. So I'll make my money back

even if I decided to go with Amplifi.

Good to have options.

Guess waiting 8 months wasn't quite enough:

https://medium.com/@getluma/luma-news-beta-testing-b640864de422#.9dmhwi9v8

itGeeks

As far as i can tell the Amplifi system is not mesh. The 'mesh' points, as they are now calling them, do not talk to each other, they only talk to the router. That said it still seems like a good system. The router is fast. If you can position it in the center of your home you should be fine. When they say it is 'mesh' they seem to move the conversation to roaming and handoff.

You could be rite and if the 'mesh points' don't talk to each other I think that's more of a positive then a negative thing because as we know every hop from the main unit/gateway reduces speed.

itGeeks

Another interesting thing I found out listing to the Home Tech podcast is they are planing to build home automation into this unit as well. Very interesting and exciting stuff.

awraynor

Another interesting thing I found out listing to the Home Tech podcast is they are planing to build home automation into this unit as well. Very interesting and exciting stuff.

I have Lowe's Iris. It doesn't play well with others.

Don't forget the Almond 3 if you want home WiFi and Home Automation in one product. https://www.securifi.com/

dchay

So I started reading up on the Unufi HD as a possible alternative to Eero. I chatted with their support tonight and asked about if they were truly "mesh" or just worries access points. They said "no" and "yes". I scratched my head and figured I'd ask you guys.

Don Hay

Aug 6, 20:00 PDT

Chat started: 2016-08-07 02:39 AM UTC

(02:39:26 AM) Don Hay: Hi. I'm considering your Amplifi HD. I have some IP cams that require port forwarding and I'm wondering if you support this.

(02:39:33 AM) *** Ron T joined the chat ***

(02:39:36 AM) Ron T: Hi Don

(02:39:43 AM) Don Hay: Hi

(02:40:17 AM) Ron T: Amplifi supports port forwarding

(02:41:27 AM) Don Hay: Ok, thanks. Are there any other advanced features? An early review I read said they weren't there so could you tell me more?

(02:42:13 AM) Ron T: Here is the link for some more features https://help.amplifi.com/hc/en-us

(02:42:48 AM) Ron T: Please click on Advance there

(02:43:30 AM) Don Hay: That's great, thanks!

(02:43:48 AM) Ron T: Do you have any other question for me?

(02:43:52 AM) Don Hay: Any sense of shipping date?

(02:44:17 AM) Ron T: Amplifi Base model has already started shipping

(02:44:26 AM) Don Hay: The HD

(02:44:38 AM) Ron T: LR model will start shipping from 10 of August

(02:45:02 AM) Ron T: And HD will start from the End of this month

(02:45:58 AM) Don Hay: will the roll out be pretty quick or would an order today not go out until later in the shipping process due to others ahead of me?

(02:46:50 AM) Ron T: It would take 2-3 weeks from the date of shipping

(02:47:11 AM) Don Hay: Last one:. Is this technically a "mesh" network or wireless access points?

(02:48:01 AM) Ron T: Mesh points directly communicates with the base station

(02:48:27 AM) Ron T: Through wirelessly

(02:49:02 AM) Don Hay: So this uses mesh?

(02:49:20 AM) Ron T: No , it directly communicates

(02:49:53 AM) Don Hay: So more like multiple access points?

(02:50:59 AM) Ron T: All the Mesh points communicate with the base station directly

(02:52:15 AM) Don Hay: So just to clarify, you're using the term "mesh points" but it doesn't actually create a mesh?

(02:52:40 AM) Don Hay: I'm asking because I tried Luma briefly but switched to Eero. I want to understand the difference in case I go with you guys instead.

(02:53:25 AM) Ron T: Mesh points are just the Extenders

(02:53:33 AM) Don Hay: Ok

(02:54:45 AM) Don Hay: Thanks for your help

(02:55:16 AM) Ron T: Do you have any other question?

(02:55:27 AM) Don Hay: No. Thanks.

(02:55:40 AM) Ron T: Thanks for chatting with us

I'm interested in the comparison with eero especially if I keep my Circle with Disney.

awraynor

Not an expert, but it seems mesh is a no.