RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
GotNoTime

AmpliFi by Ubiquiti

awraynor

Ask me about a CT scan of the lung and I'm good. 

Ask me about the importance of zero handoff and I'm lost. I have the idea of what it is, but just how important is it?

Given mesh supposedly has lower signal as it travels(?), is the router/extender model any better or worse in this situation?

itGeeks

Ask me about a CT scan of the lung and I'm good. 

Ask me about the importance of zero handoff and I'm lost. I have the idea of what it is, but just how important is it?

Given mesh supposedly has lower signal as it travels(?), is the router/extender model any better or worse in this situation?

Google is your friend Mr. Raynor :rolleyes:  :D

https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/205144590-UniFi-What-is-Zero-Handoff-

itGeeks

And if you have a CT scan. Just start here:   :)

http://radiopaedia.org/

LOL :D

For those that don't have the time or money for collage In simple terms 'zero handoff' aids in convincing the device to connect to the best AP, Without it the devices are in complete charge of deciding how long to hang on to an AP before switching. I am rather surprised that is not supported on the new AmpliFi product rite now, Maybe they will add it later as a firmware update. Its the same for bandsteering, Bandsteering aids in convincing the device to use the better band and without it the device is totally in charge of deciding what band to use

Edited by itGeeks

itGeeks

Great news. Wi-Fi is exciting again!

I think you should take one for the team and pre-order yours today and let us know how it works :) I am already testing Luma others have Eero we need more hands-on with devices, Tag your it....

Edited by itGeeks

awraynor

I think you should take one for the team and pre-order yours today and let us know how it works :) I am already testing Luma others have Eero we need more hands-on with devices, Tag your it....

As soon as you send me the number of a good divorce attorney.

whsbuss

LOL :D

For those that don't have the time or money for collage In simple terms 'zero handoff' aids in convincing the device to connect to the best AP, Without it the devices are in complete charge of deciding how long to hang on to an AP before switching. I am rather surprised that is not supported on the new AmpliFi product rite now, Maybe they will add it later as a firmware update. Its the same for bandsteering, Bandsteering aids in convincing the device to use the better band and without it the device is totally in charge of deciding what band to use

You are totally correct regarding how zero handoff works (or should). However if you think about the AmpliFi there is only one AP/router in the setup. The remotes must be broadcasting all signals/packets for all clients so there's really no handoff, except to the strongest signal. In a true mesh AP (like UniFi enterprise like I am testing) only data for the connected clients are sent/received. They work almost the same as a cell network..... hands off happen between APs.

But all least AmpliFi supports band steering and air fairness. In the UniFi APs the band steering has Off, Balanced, 5G. So far the balanced works very well when I look at the connected clients.

EDIT: Yes I may in fact take one for the team. Hopefully my local MicroCenter or B&H Photo will have it in 3 weeks.

Edited by whsbuss
  • Like 1

awraynor

I'll ultimately stay with the best mesh system whatever it is. I've seen Luma cheap on E-Bay. I could sell Eero for more than I paid.

If Amplifi beats them all I switch to that. Look forward to  your results.

itGeeks

You are totally correct regarding how zero handoff works (or should). However if you think about the AmpliFi there is only one AP/router in the setup. The remotes must be broadcasting all signals/packets for all clients so there's really no handoff, except to the strongest signal. In a true mesh AP (like UniFi enterprise like I am testing) only data for the connected clients are sent/received. They work almost the same as a cell network..... hands off happen between APs.

But all least AmpliFi supports band steering and air fairness. In the UniFi APs the band steering has Off, Balanced, 5G. So far the balanced works very well when I look at the connected clients.

EDIT: Yes I may in fact take one for the team. Hopefully my local MicroCenter or B&H Photo will have it in 3 weeks.

Good point, I had not thought about it that way so ya no zero handoff need.

whsbuss

I had a quick chat w/AmpliFi support today (love its always available on the site) regarding the HD unit and 802.11ac speeds. As I thought the remote antennas repeat all signals on all streams from the main router unit. So that means AC speeds can be realized anywhere you have a signal worthy of it. Also an update - U.S. availability for the HD unit is approx. 1 month. Just in time to test with my new iPhone 7 !!