GotNoTime

AmpliFi by Ubiquiti

GotNoTime

I received an email from Ubiquiti about this and figured other people may be interested. Ubiquiti are pushing into the home WiFi segment as well now with their new AmpliFi system.

The store lists 3 models.

AmpliFi for $199 which is 2x2 802.11n for router cube + range extenders.

AmpliFi LR (Long Range) for $299 which is 3x3 802.11ac for router cube and 2x2 802.11n for range extenders.

AmpliFi 802.11ac HD (High Density) for $349 for 3x3 802.11ac for router cube + range extenders.

The range extenders I assume are just WDS bridges as they don't mention mesh networking. The router for the AmpliFi LR appears to be exactly the same as the router for the AmpliFi HD as the specs including weight are exactly the same. It doesn't have different hardware like the UniFi LR APs.

There is an Android and iOS configuration app.

JROrtiz

That router looks sexy. If they in fact don't use mesh that would be very disappointing and surprising given their experience and competition. Guess I'll have to preorder and find out for myself.

Nice catch!

Dave

Consider me the first to be skeptical about this.  Not that it will exist someday but it's simply Ubiquiti in a new coat of paint.    Why Why Why put out three different SKU's?  I don't get it.  Confuse your marketplace with your step into this new era of home Wi-Fi? To me that is just plain dumb.  I've heard the routers are good so you got me there even though I'm going to hide away the pretty LCD screen.  I get it though.  A lot of folks have an ugly cable modem right next to an ugly router.  At least one will look nice now.  The extenders are all via wireless so you can't get wirespeed even if you wanted it. Am I assuming that correctly?   Any mention on release date?

Ubiquiti got caught sleeping when eero was released and now Luma might put them out of the home market for good.  Hey, lets shove our chipset into something that looks spiffy.  Sorry guys.  I  will not fund this lipstick.

GotNoTime

The specifications tabs have changed since I originally posted. Now it lists significantly less specs and they do bizarre things like add up all the various radio chains + throughput on the router + extenders so the HD is an "18 chain 5.25Gbps" WiFi system.

Originally it listed the basic AmpliFi model as being 802.11n only but the new specifications tab says it is 802.11ac for all the routers.

The Ars Technica preview mentions more information. The Ars Technica copy of the datasheet again mentions more than the copy now found on the AmpliFi site.

According to Ars Technica:

AmpliFi = 3x3 802.11ac at 24dBm TX power for router and 2x2 802.11n at 22dBm TX power for the range extenders.

AmpliFi LR = 3x3 802.11ac at 26dBm TX power for router and 2x2 802.11n at 24dBm TX power for the range extenders.

AmpliFi HD = 3x3 802.11ac at 26dBm TX power for router and 3x3 802.11ac at 26dBm TX power for the range extenders.

The AmpliFi datasheet lists:

AmpliFi = 4 radios, 10 chains/antennas and 24dBm TX power

AmpliFi LR = 4 radios, 10 chains/antennas and 26dBm TX power

AmpliFi HD = 6 radios, 18 chains/antennas and 26dBm TX power

Going by the # of radios, the AmpliFi/AmpliFi LR range extenders are 802.11b/g/n i.e. 2.4GHz only despite the old datasheet which lists 802.11a.

This means:

AmpliFi = One 3x3 2.4GHz/5GHz 802.11ac at 24dBM TX power router + Two 2x2 2.4GHz 802.11n range extenders. This accounts for the 4 radios and 10 chains since 3x 2.4GHz + 3x 5Ghz in router and 2x 2.4GHz in the range extenders. The range extenders are probably 22dBm TX power like the Ars Technical article states.

AmpliFi LR = One 3x3 2.4GHz/5GHz 802.11ac at 26dBm TX power router + Two 2x2 2.4GHz 802.11n range extenders. Same arrangement for the radios and chains but the router is 26dBm. I assume the range extenders are 24dBm like the Ars Technica article and old datasheet states.

AmpliFi HD = One 3x3 2.4GHz/5GHz 802.11ac at 26dBm TX power router + Two 3x3 2.4GHz/5GHz 802.11ac range extenders. Everything at 26dBm TX power. The total is 6 radios and 18 chains since 3x 2.4GHz + 3x 5GHz in router and 3x 2.4GHz + 3x 5GHz in the range extenders.

Edited by GotNoTime

schoondoggy

My knee jerk reaction is to run from anything that uses WiFi repeater/extenders, but Ubiquiti is really good at making them. Although I have to agree with Dave that the three models may be confusing. With a starting point of $199, this could be interesting if it works as promised.

itGeeks

My knee jerk reaction is to run from anything that uses WiFi repeater/extenders, but Ubiquiti is really good at making them. Although I have to agree with Dave that the three models may be confusing. With a starting point of $199, this could be interesting if it works as promised.

schoon so what do you think about it? Patrick Norton seems to like it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cad06YwIbrA

According to this review it uses mesh for the extenders http://gizmodo.com/this-tiny-router-will-kill-all-your-wi-fi-deadspots-1784006697

"For $200, the Amplifi includes a small, unobtrusive router with a touchscreen which can display either the time, throughput, or IP address, as well as two mesh router extensions that plug directly into the wall and require next to no effort to set up."

Edited by itGeeks

awraynor

On chat with them given all of my devices and home automation they recommended the most expensive HD, of course.

One reviewer said if you don't know what 3x3 is you probably only need the base version.

There aren't a lot of reviews, but many really liked the power of the base router alone.

If a forum member hadn't generously shared a discount code for Eero with me I was going to give the HD a try.

itGeeks

schoon so what do you think about it? Patrick Norton seems to like it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cad06YwIbrA

According to this review it uses mesh for the extenders http://gizmodo.com/this-tiny-router-will-kill-all-your-wi-fi-deadspots-1784006697

"For $200, the Amplifi includes a small, unobtrusive router with a touchscreen which can display either the time, throughput, or IP address, as well as two mesh router extensions that plug directly into the wall and require next to no effort to set up."

Just looked at the Amplifi home page and it says "mesh' networking so its true thank god. I think this should be a solid contender in this space, I just may have to get one and try it out. https://www.amplifi.com/

itGeeks

On chat with them given all of my devices and home automation they recommended the most expensive HD, of course.

One reviewer said if you don't know what 3x3 is you probably only need the base version.

There aren't a lot of reviews, but many really liked the power of the base router alone.

If a forum member hadn't generously shared a discount code for Eero with me I was going to give the HD a try.

I know hew that was that shared that code with you but I wont tell  :P Ok so doing a bit of research the base station router is the same for all 3 kits the change is in the extenders only, The HD version is the only one that extends wireless AC to the extenders. I hope I made this clear. I am very intrigued by this system and may have to give it a try at some point. I really want parental control's and virus/malware/spyware scanning at the gateway though and that was my hope for Luma. According to a review I just read this is the start of a series of stuff ubiq is going to bring to the home market so it could be very interesting in the coming months to see whats in store. http://gizmodo.com/this-tiny-router-will-kill-all-your-wi-fi-deadspots-1784006697

awraynor

(10:03:09 PM) Visitor 70306586 is now known as Anthony.
(10:03:09 PM) Anthony: Does the amplifi offer true mesh or just hops from router to extenders?
(10:03:19 PM) *** Alan T joined the chat ***
(10:03:23 PM) Alan T: Hi Anthony
(10:03:39 PM) Anthony: Good afternon.
(10:03:42 PM) Anthony: afternoon.
(10:04:35 PM) Alan T: Its true mesh network
(10:04:46 PM) Alan T: It provides seamless handoff
(10:05:50 PM) Anthony: Okay. I had heard conflicting reports. The website specs are a bit thin.
(10:06:11 PM) Anthony: Thank you for your help.
(10:06:23 PM) Alan T: We have tested about everything, there were no conflicting
(10:06:41 PM) Alan T: Let the product come to the market, you will get the information
(10:06:55 PM) Anthony: Thank you and have a great day.
(10:07:03 PM) Alan T: Thanks for chatting with us.
(10:07:13 PM) Alan T: Have a great day ahead!