RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Drashna Jaelre

BitCasa discontinues service

awraynor

Sc**w them and the horse they rode in on. I was one of their earliest users (beta testers) and they neutered the service.

Now focusing only on businesses. I understand there is more money there, but they could at least continue to support

the people who helped make their service.

I know, SSDD.

GotNoTime

I'm not surprised that they ditched the personal backup market. The removal of the infinite plan, the new expensive plans and then the removal of all the grandfathered infinite plans gave the impression they were having difficulty monetising that market segment.

awraynor

I'm not surprised that they ditched the personal backup market. The removal of the infinite plan, the new expensive plans and then the removal of all the grandfathered infinite plans gave the impression they were having difficulty monetising that market segment.

And yet they were still sending me e-mails until the last minute to get me to signup. It was actually a cool service. Too bad it failed for the consumer. 

Drashna Jaelre

And yet they were still sending me e-mails until the last minute to get me to signup. It was actually a cool service. Too bad it failed for the consumer. 

How about the email I got today "IDrive: 80% Off Your First Year" "We have partnered with IDRive to provide you with an alternative to your BitCasa Drive account."

..... Yeah, they know they messed up....

Edited by HSS-Dave
watch the bombs ;)

awraynor

Oh yes. It had a lot of promise, but over promised. I tried iDrive and not totally bad. But for that price I can get One Drive with Office 365. 

With free Amazon Cloud Drive, WHS 2011, NAS and CrashPlan I should be covered. 

Dave

We chatted about this on a podcast a while back.  I think 299?  Another Cloud bites the dust.  

I was on the bitcasa beta and used it for a while after that on a Mac. It was Ok. I didn't love it so I never really paid for it.  It was over simplified but that was the audience it targeted.  A big "Oh Well." Others are doing it better anyhow.  Go for the dolla bitcasa. See ya.

LoneWolf

For me, this is an example of why I only partially trust the cloud.

I'm okay with having my data there, provided it's not the only point of storage for my data, or the only point of backup.  But between businesses failing (thereby leaving you holding the bag), merging (and possibly leaving you holding the bag), and the separate ever-growing issues of data breaches, or "we're the government, no data in the cloud is private if we ask nicely or carry a vague National Security Letter", it's not the only place I want it; and I'd prefer it to be encrypted if it's off-premises.

Edited by LoneWolf