RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Help - Setting up HP Proliant gen8 G1610T microserver

Silly Car

Firstly, hello. I have been reading various threads and articles from this website for the last couple of weeks thinking 'Oh I could do all of that' and now I am >< close to throwing the proverbial bear well and truly out of the pram!

Below is what I have:

HP Proliant gen8 G1610T microserver with 4GB ram

2 x Sata 3 2TB hard drives

1 x Sata 2 1 TB drive

1 X Sata 2 640gb drive

1 x SSD 120gb drive (currently connected to the onboard SATA port and powered by ODD supply - I said I had been reading!)

Windows 10 Professional OEM

What I would like to have

OS on the SSD drive

4 Independent physical drives notionally for Movies, TV Shows, Music, Data - I am not bothered about redundancy on any drive as all vital data is held on the cloud

Win 10 OS - as I am used to Windows and it works for me

Plex Server

Teamviewer

So far, I have managed to install a test version of Win7 OS on the SSD drive and I have managed to install Unbuntu Server on the drive, but not together and not managed to get GRUB running from the onboard USB either (again reading and not really understanding). As soon as I pop an extra drive into the bays, boot from SSD fails, which given my reading is to be expected!

My questions:

1. GRUB v RAID 0 on SSD - what is the simplest / easiest to set up. I am guessing RAID 0 on the SSD 

2. If I set SSD to Raid 0, can I set each individual drive to be accessible? I'm guessing creating a single array across different disk sizes is a non-starter? My previous experience with servers is WHS (the original) where you could just keep adding disks to the pooled storage.

3. One of the 2TB drives is 75% full of data which I want to move to the server, should I attach it via USB 3 and copy it over once the OS is installed and the 3 other drives are installed then add drive the drive in slot 2? I suspect I have sufficient capacity on two separate laptops to back the data up if not

If you can accept my apologies if these points have been asked elsewhere, I am a complete novice when it comes to RAID at this kind of stuff, therefore I am appealing to everyone's better nature to help me out!

With much thanks.

Greetings,

I am a little confused about what your trying to accomplish. You said "What I would like to have

OS on the SSD drive

4 Independent physical drives notionally for Movies, TV Shows, Music, Data - I am not bothered about redundancy on any drive as all vital data is held on the cloud

Plex Server

Teamviewer"

But then you mention Unbuntu Server and Grub. Are you trying to dual boot? or run VM's

1. I find using the B120i easiest, but I tend to set a SSD as a single drive RAID0 and four SATA drives in a RAID10.

2. Yes, you would set each individual drive as a single drive RAID0. You can not use different size disks in a RAID array. Drive Pool is close to the way WHS v1 worked.

3. You should be able to make the drive a single drive RAID0 without losing any data, but be sure to have a backup.

If you would like to boot from a SSD on the ODD port in AHCI mode this post is the best path:

http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/5886-gen8-25-hdd-in-the-odd-bay-discussion/?p=67539

Greetings,

I am a little confused about what your trying to accomplish. You said "What I would like to have

OS on the SSD drive

Plex Server

Teamviewer"

But then you mention Unbuntu Server and Grub. Are you trying to dual boot? or run VM's

With reference to Ubuntu, I was just outlining what I had already tried before deciding to return to the safe haven of Windows.

1. I find using the B120i easiest, but I tend to set a SSD as a single drive RAID0 and four SATA drives in a RAID10.

2. Yes, you would set each individual drive as a single drive RAID0. You can not use different size disks in a RAID array. Drive Pool is close to the way WHS v1 worked.

3. You should be able to make the drive a single drive RAID0 without losing any data, but be sure to have a backup.

If you would like to boot from a SSD on the ODD port in AHCI mode this post is the best path:

http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/5886-gen8-25-hdd-in-the-odd-bay-discussion/?p=67539

Thanks, I really appreciate your response and link to the instructions, I'm awaiting the Amazon delivery guy to rock up with my Windows 10 disk which I'll have to mount on a USB stick and get started.

Are there any advantages of using the micro sd route over internal USB? Also, where is the micro sd slot?

Edit: Found the micro sd slot!

Edited by Silly Car