RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
t2clej

openmesh and cloudtrax

t2clej

1. Yes, i would start by letting it select channels.  2. Yes, SSID are the same for both frequencies.

I am not aware of anything though it maybe out there.  Any particular reason you do not want to use the cloud controller?

Is using CloudTrax fairly safe? Seems that using CloudTrax and entering you physical address on setup might not be the safest practice. Not sure of the downsides though.

Does open-mesh have QoS options. I would like to limit the kids internet speeds.

pcdoc

Is using CloudTrax fairly safe? Seems that using CloudTrax and entering you physical address on setup might not be the safest practice. Not sure of the downsides though.

Does open-mesh have QoS options. I would like to limit the kids internet speeds.

That really is comfort level much like online banking.  Encryption, tied to a specific MAC address, and password protection are similar to other solutions even if the others are on prem as they are still connected.  You can argue many ways on either side but in the end it is what you are comfortable with.  For me, even though I am paranoid about security, I do not see anything that makes me uncomfortable.  As for Qos, that is pretty much left to your router and not the access point.  You really want to establish your QoS requirement in your router/firewall where it can be used for both wired and wireless traffic.

This is a bit dated and things have changed but I did a short article on the MR1750 and my setup.  http://thedocsworld.net/mr1750-ac-wireless-access-point/

t2clej

That really is comfort level much like online banking.  Encryption, tied to a specific MAC address, and password protection are similar to other solutions even if the others are on prem as they are still connected.  You can argue many ways on either side but in the end it is what you are comfortable with.  For me, even though I am paranoid about security, I do not see anything that makes me uncomfortable.  As for Qos, that is pretty much left to your router and not the access point.  You really want to establish your QoS requirement in your router/firewall where it can be used for both wired and wireless traffic.

This is a bit dated and things have changed but I did a short article on the MR1750 and my setup.  http://thedocsworld.net/mr1750-ac-wireless-access-point/

pcdoc - very nice review. Before I start another thread on routers with good QoS, do you have recommendation. I've tried using the Asus router QoS but it does not work consistently. Once I get open-mesh setup I plan on turning the wifi on the asus OFF and just using as wired router. I have tried the ubiquity edge router but do not have the knowledge to get QoS working. Thanks again.

pcdoc

pcdoc - very nice review. Before I start another thread on routers with good QoS, do you have recommendation. I've tried using the Asus router QoS but it does not work consistently. Once I get open-mesh setup I plan on turning the wifi on the asus OFF and just using as wired router. I have tried the ubiquity edge router but do not have the knowledge to get QoS working. Thanks again.

I am not a good person to ask as I do not use Qos and I am a Sophos fan boy (self appointed).  If you browse around you will most are using the current day Asus routers.  I will leave this question to someone who has more experience with implementing a good QoS solution.

itGeeks

itGeeks -

1 - do I let the MR1750 auto pick the channels and width? Or should i set them manually?

2 - does the MR1750 use the same SSID for 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz? Currently I have them as separate SSIDs and manually select which one to use depending on my location.

1) Leave it on auto though this is not a perfect system because its not (dynamic) for changes it only updates the channel number when maintenance is run, I have mine set for 7 days a week to run at 3AM. I would much rather the channel number could update dynamically as needed and I am hopping Open-Mesh will change this at some point but it still works OK for now. 

2) Yes the MR1750 uses the same SSID for both the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz channels and that's what you want. Just make sure you enable "band steering" for each SSID, That will aid devices that support the 5Ghz to use the 5Ghz, This is a new feature still in beta but it works great and before they added support for "band steering" many of my devices would only use the 2.4Ghz but now those devices all use 5Ghz.

itGeeks

1) I agree with pcdoc on this and like pcdoc as paranoid as I am about security I am very comfortable using "cloudtrax" for my controller. You have to think about how much more damaging information we have online things such as banking, credit cards, ect. We live in a world of threats and anything can happen but at the end of the day the only safe way is the offline way and not have anything connected to the internet. I personally don't want to do that.

2) Open-Mesh does allow you to control the bandwidth per SSID so just setup one of the 4 SSID called kids then set the bandwidth amount you want then to have and that's it. This only works for the kids wireless devices that are connected to that SSID, there wired devices would have to be controlled threw the router using there IP/MAC address.

Edited by itGeeks

itGeeks

Qos on Open-Mesh is not the same as Qos built-in to most routers, When you use the router for QoS most times you can limit bandwidth in many ways such as by application, With Open-Mesh its an all or nothing meaning you can do bandwidth throttling by SSID nothing more nothing less so its not the same thing. So for example you setup one SSID called kids and give them 30%, Setup one SSID called wife and give her 50% and setup a 3rd SSID called boss and give yourself 80%, ect. you get the idea. You con't limit by port, application or anything else with Open-Mesh anything other needs to be done at the router level that has good QoS options.

Edited by itGeeks

t2clej

itGeeks and pcdoc - THANK YOU very much.

Got the MR1750 setup last night as things seem to be working well. Your advice was very helpful and saved me a lot of time. If I ceiling mount the device on 2nd floor, I have full coverage of the house. Verified this by having kids hold the unit up on ladder with really long cat6 cable.

I agree with your thoughts on cloudtrax security. I just wanted to make sure there was not some glaring security risk I missed while reading reviews. 

Regarding channel selection - the unit has chosen channel 10 for 2.4Ghz. I have manually changed that to 11 as my wifi analyzer does not have much on that channel from neighbors. I'm happy to change back to AUTO if you guys recommend that. I was always told 1,6,11 only for 2.4Ghz.

Only other issue I have is after changes are made, it says they will take effect in 1-2 min. I'm never sure when this changes are complete. Is there a way to tell?

Thanks again. I'm sure more questions will follow.

t2clej

sorry duplicate post

Edited by t2clej

itGeeks

Question regarding this:

Must one use OpenMesh's CloudTrax offsite service for management, or is it possible to build an on-premise CloudTrax "server"/"controller" ?

Good question and one that I asked Open-Mesh about last year, There response was they are working on a self hosted controller package but I have not heard anything since then. I just sent them an email asking for an update on this, You can do the same support@open-mesh.com or sales@open-mesh.com please report back with the answer and I will do the same.

Edited by itGeeks