RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
t2clej

openmesh and cloudtrax

t2clej

I just received MR1750 and OM5P-AC. In reading thru instructions, I have couple of questions for those that own open-mesh.

1 - when signing up for cloudtrax, do I have to use my physical address. If not, what are the ramifications of not using my address (physical location).

2 - if i lose my internet connection, does my LAN still function?

Thank you.

itGeeks

I just received MR1750 and OM5P-AC. In reading thru instructions, I have couple of questions for those that own open-mesh.

1 - when signing up for cloudtrax, do I have to use my physical address. If not, what are the ramifications of not using my address (physical location).

2 - if i lose my internet connection, does my LAN still function?

Thank you.

Congratulations on your new purchase.

As for using your "real physical address" its not mandatory but recommended, You just won't be able to see the WAPs on the built in Google maps. As for question 2 there is a setting under

Configure-> Radio called "Internet Check" you want to disable this then your wireless LAN will still work when the internet is down, If this setting is enabled then when your internet is down so is your wireless LAN.

Hope this info helps...

Edited by itGeeks
  • Like 1

t2clej

itGeeks,

Thanks for the help. Setting it up this weekend so if you have any other advice, please let me know.

pcdoc

itGeeks,

Thanks for the help. Setting it up this weekend so if you have any other advice, please let me know.

One piece of advice.  Your SSID's by default will block (for security reasons) access to your LAN devices such as cameras, HA controllers, servers, etc (like a self contained VLAN).  Create one SSID that will be able to access everything that only you (or limited people) can access.  Go to the "Advanced" section and select "Bridge SSID" and pick the SSID that you want to bind to your LAN.  In my case I created an SSID #2 for "Me" and it is bridged to my LAN so I can access anything from a Wifi connected device.  Then I created #3 and #4 for others in the house and #1 for guests.  I am sure you will love them and please report back.

itGeeks

One piece of advice.  Your SSID's by default will block (for security reasons) access to your LAN devices such as cameras, HA controllers, servers, etc (like a self contained VLAN).  Create one SSID that will be able to access everything that only you (or limited people) can access.  Go to the "Advanced" section and select "Bridge SSID" and pick the SSID that you want to bind to your LAN.  In my case I created an SSID #2 for "Me" and it is bridged to my LAN so I can access anything from a Wifi connected device.  Then I created #3 and #4 for others in the house and #1 for guests.  I am sure you will love them and please report back.

pcdoc, Great advice and like you I am sure the OP will love them. Another piece of advice is I would start out by installing only the MR1750 and see how it covers the aria needing WiFi before adding the 2nd unit, You will be amazed how much coverage you will get from the MR1750. If after installing the MR1750 you still feel you needing to add another unit then use a WiFi analyzer on a laptop or mobile device and place the 2nd unit @ -70 dBm, That will give a nice overlap and extend your coverage further. No less then -70 dBm in any given aria is what you want to shoot for so take a reading after you install the 1st MR1750 and see how it goes and if it turns out you don't need the 2nd unit send it to me and I will make good use of it :D kidding just return it money saved.

One MR1750 is covering my entire 3 floor house including my outside property, I have mine installed on the first floor and it does a fantastic job.

Edited by itGeeks

t2clej

Thank you for the help. I'm hoping that the MR1750 does cover the whole house.

pcdoc - SSID info very helpful. Regarding the SSID - I remember reading that SSID #1 is strictly guest and can not be bridged to LAN, correct? 

After setup, do I let the MR1750 auto pick the channels, other wifi settings, etc? With several neighbors wifi networks close by, I currently use wifi analyzer and manually set the channels on my 2 Asus RT-AC68 currently in use.

itGeeks - Does it matter how i position the unit. You said yours is downstairs. I am hoping i can mount it on ceiling 2nd floor central part of house. If not, is wall mounting or placing on flat surface preferred.

I'm sure other questions will follow this afternoon. I appreciate the help.

itGeeks

Thank you for the help. I'm hoping that the MR1750 does cover the whole house.

pcdoc - SSID info very helpful. Regarding the SSID - I remember reading that SSID #1 is strictly guest and can not be bridged to LAN, correct? 

After setup, do I let the MR1750 auto pick the channels, other wifi settings, etc? With several neighbors wifi networks close by, I currently use wifi analyzer and manually set the channels on my 2 Asus RT-AC68 currently in use.

itGeeks - Does it matter how i position the unit. You said yours is downstairs. I am hoping i can mount it on ceiling 2nd floor central part of house. If not, is wall mounting or placing on flat surface preferred.

I'm sure other questions will follow this afternoon. I appreciate the help.

SSID 1 is the guest network but it CAN also be bridged to your LAN though that would defeat the purpose. As for mounting the unit if I had the option of ceiling mounting I would of done that but that was not an option for me. Wall mounting should also be fine, I don't think I would lay it flat and that's y I used a little dish plate stand so I could angle it like a satellite dish on a 45 degree angle.

This stand is the one I used but there are others http://www.amazon.com/Gibson-Holders-Large-Display-Stand/dp/B019ZYMDHO/ref=pd_sim_201_4?ie=UTF8&dpID=31JwjT-B0fL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL320_SR280%2C320_&refRID=0HEF7KCQ9N4MFYJZM0VK

These units are 360 degrees so your not limited by direction, My sun-room, kitchen & backyard are all facing the back of the MR1750 and the coverage is fine.

Any other questions feel free to ask...

Edited by itGeeks

t2clej

itGeeks -

1 - do I let the MR1750 auto pick the channels and width? Or should i set them manually?

2 - does the MR1750 use the same SSID for 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz? Currently I have them as separate SSIDs and manually select which one to use depending on my location.

LoneWolf

Question regarding this:

Must one use OpenMesh's CloudTrax offsite service for management, or is it possible to build an on-premise CloudTrax "server"/"controller" ?

Edited by LoneWolf

pcdoc

itGeeks -

1 - do I let the MR1750 auto pick the channels and width? Or should i set them manually?

2 - does the MR1750 use the same SSID for 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz? Currently I have them as separate SSIDs and manually select which one to use depending on my location.

1. Yes, i would start by letting it select channels.  2. Yes, SSID are the same for both frequencies.

Question regarding this:

Must one use OpenMesh's CloudTrax offsite service for management, or is it possible to build an on-premise CloudTrax "server"/"controller" ?

I am not aware of anything though it maybe out there.  Any particular reason you do not want to use the cloud controller?