RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

WHS in business

krom

Is anyone out there using WHS in a business environment? I volunteer for a non-profit that provides PC's/servers, etc. and IT installs for schools, community centers and shelters. The equipment we install is, for the most part, donated by local businesses. Basically rather than recycle or dispose of their PC's, printers, switches, etc they will donate to us. We have minimum standards of what we accept but basically all our equipment is used. Typically we've used MS Server 2003 in our server installs but I have an install at a shelter/soup kitchen and have decided to use WHS on a frankenbuild.

They have some dedicated staff and volunteers. A wireless router for Internet access is all the "network" they currently have. I felt WHS would fit their needs perfectly and not overly complicate things for them.

So is anyone out there using WHS in a work environment? If so is there anything I'm missing or should look out for?

Thanks.

For a business, I would probably be very careful with passwords and not give regular users access to all shares. Also I probably wouldn't allow remote access at all. Lastly, I would make sure to have an offsite backup as a failsafe to allow for data integrity in the event of a catastrophic failure to ensure that there is documentation if there was ever an audit. What is the record retention requirements for Non-profit organizations?

Thanks for the feedback AJ. I wasn't going to allow the remote access and we'll work with them on the shares. We're going to give them a USB HDD for back up and maybe suggest Jungle Disc, but beyond that it's up to them to manage it. We only provide the equipment and the initial install.

What type of warranty are you given them for a frankenbuild? For a set & forget, I'd be likely to go with an OEM just for the support. But then again, if this isn't a set & forget, I guess it's not a big deal.

We don't charge. We are a charitable organization and provide these services for free on a volunteer basis. So really there's no warranty although we've gone back to sites and addressed any problems they have or provided additional support.

Here, check out our site:

www.edtechday.org

I am with usacomp2k3. WHS is built for the home user. I have tried to edit the permissions on shared folders and did not have much success. I guess it is due to WHS had it default permissions (none, full, or read). That is one of the difference between a Windows server or a WHS. I did check out your website krom and find the charitable work you all do interesting. As someone changing careers and going into public school teaching, I wish there was more organizations like yours out there. Government talks big about technology in the classroom but from I have seen they are not walking the walk.

PCEddie

Guest no-control

Considering its free and I would think any solution that meets their needs and is set up professionally and follows BMPs would be fine. You're not making money on it they are not paying for the service or equipment. For a fire n forget this a petty simple solution.

I've set up a WHS in a few SOHO settings for well over a year now without issue or complaint. Granted I used an OEM solution (HP MSS) and provide services to them. but no issues other than a thank you for saving them money while tending to their needs.

When people visit and notice a see through computer box, they ask me what is it. After I explain to them about WHS, I usually guide them to the HP MSS route. I offer the same backup solution to my customers as well. The main point I stress is the ease of backing you Windows or Apple computers and keeping their data stored in a central location.

PCEddie

MS and HP are positioning WHS as an option for SOHO so I don't think we're going too far off track here. The 10 PC limit is not an issue for these guys as they don't have 10 PC's. I think this will work well for them. I'll be sure to report back with how we make out at this site.

PCEddie it's interesting because we actually got push back from the public schools (or at least the union for the IT group). They felt we were encroaching on their work. It's sad really the kids loose out because some group has a turf war. I'm pretty sure public school is meant to benefit the children. There are however plenty of other organizations and schools that can benefit from our help so our efforts do ultimately meet the needs of the community.