Sign in to follow this  
mossmotorsport

Dell H700 RAID Controller in T20

mossmotorsport    0
mossmotorsport

Evening all, I've had my Dell T20 set up and running nicely for a couple of weeks without any issue.  Very impressed with the performance for the money (Xenon, 32GB RAM, Esxi 5.5).  I've today taken delivery of a Dell H700 internal RAID controller, however the T20 does not appear to be recognising the H700 at all.  I've plugged the H700 into both PCI Express slots 1 and 4, however the card does how show up in the BIOS under PCI Slots, nor does it show up after the POST, which is typically where I would expect to see the RAID controller firmware initialise.  

The manual for the H700 does state that the card "is installed in the dedicated internal storage slot of the server", however my understanding is that this should be compatible with any X16 PCI Express slot.  

The manual for the H700 can be found here: https://www.dell.com/downloads/global/products/pvaul/en/perc-technical-guidebook.pdf

The manual for the T20 can be found here: http://topics-cdn.dell.com/pdf/poweredge-t20_Owner's%20Manual_en-us.pdf

Does anyone have any experience of using the H700 RAID controller in the T20?  This card was purchased as I read generally negative reviews of the PERC 6i.

GotNoTime    219
GotNoTime

The manual for the H700 does state that the card "is installed in the dedicated internal storage slot of the server", however my understanding is that this should be compatible with any X16 PCI Express slot.  

Yes. The big internal PERC cards are just a regular PCI Express card without the slot bracket. The mini versions do have a special connector but the H700 isn't one of those. 

mossmotorsport    0
mossmotorsport

Thanks for confirming, I wouldn't have described the H700 as particularly large though.  I've attached it to a full height bracket for additional support.

Unfortunately at this stage I'm unsure if the card is faulty, the card is incompatible, or, whether there is a configuration issue within the BIOS on the T20.

This is a link to the card that I purchased: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/252335867925

Edited by mossmotorsport

GotNoTime    219
GotNoTime

Thanks for confirming, I wouldn't have described the H700 as particularly large though.  I've attached it to a full height bracket for additional support.

It is big compared to the H710 mini which is about 1/2 the size of the H710. The mini PERCs only have the big high density connector on them. Everything goes through that single connector including the PCI Express connection to the server and the SAS links to the drives/enclosure.

The H700 is a LSI based controller with Dell specific firmware. It is possible to crossflash it with the original LSI firmware but I'd expect it to be detected still. Not being detected at all is odd. You got another machine to test it in?

Edited by GotNoTime

mossmotorsport    0
mossmotorsport

I've now tested the card in two other Dell workstations (not servers), and both power on but no display comes on, and the motherboard buzzer makes loud beeping noises.  Unless this is an incompatibility issue, it would appear though the card is dead :(

GotNoTime    219
GotNoTime

I've now tested the card in two other Dell workstations (not servers), and both power on but no display comes on, and the motherboard buzzer makes loud beeping noises.  Unless this is an incompatibility issue, it would appear though the card is dead :(

What is the beeping pattern?

You tried reseating the cache module?

mossmotorsport    0
mossmotorsport

Just as a follow up, the card was refunded by the eBay seller, and I purchased another used card from a different seller.  This works perfectly in the PCI Express Slot 1, and detected by WD Red NAS drives immediately.  For the benefit of anyone else who stumbles across this thread, the H700 is indeed compatible with the Dell T20.  Thanks for your help GotNoTime :)

a.dresner    0
a.dresner

Hi, based on this thread I went ahead and got a H700 for my T20.  My T20 also does not recognize the H700 sitting in slot 1.  I put the H700 into my desktop asus and it showed up in the device manager.  So the card, doesn't seem to be dead... but my T20 is not seeing it.  

Which version of the BIOS are you using?  Any other tips regarding your BIOS settings?  Really appreciate any help... I'm stuck ;)