RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Cannot copy from Server - "require permission from Administrators!"

stigzler

Windows is slowly loosing its usp with its increasingly complex/messy user management/ownership etc. We may as well all be using Linux!

Anywhoos, I have a server with WHS 2011 installed. I also have 3 client machines (2 desktops and one laptop) with Windows 10 installed. All three set up the same with WHS Connector software etc. All running on the same .msn user account. 

I can copy a folder full of files off my server (via the client's explorer) to the client desktop with no problem at all on my two desktops. Just drag + drop the folder. However, on my laptop, I am continuously getting the error:

"You need permission to perform this aciton. You require permission from Administrators to make changes to this file. xxxxxx.exe" 

I've lost track of the number of things I've tried, from changing the ownership of the folder on the server to the user account, to other stuff. 

It's just so weird that it works on two other Windows 10 machine without any problem, but on the laptop I get this error no matter what I do!

Any ideas?

This looks like an AV block since it is an executable file.  Are the AV clients the same on all three?  What do the Event Logs say?  Is the Account you're using have Full Control over the destination folder?

Windows is slowly loosing its usp with its increasingly complex/messy user management/ownership etc. We may as well all be using Linux!

I get it, NTFS permissions can be confusing, but this is jumping the gun. It's like saying the car's tire is flat, so we should buy a motorcycle. 

As jmwillis has mentioned, this is likely an antivirus program blocking access.  Double check your virus scanner.

That said, WHS2011 should be setting the share permission (not NTFS) to "Everyone" with Full Control. This falls back onto NTFS permissions. 

From here, "SYSTEM" should be the owner, but this can cause issues in some case. Setting it to "Administrators" may be better.

From there, "SYSTEM" and "Administrators" should have full control.  Your user account should have everything but change permissions and take ownership. But you can manually assign full control, if you want. 

Additionally, you should see a "WMPNetowrkSvc"  account as well. Ignore. 

if all of that is set correctly, check the credential manager on the system in question, and make sure that it's not caching the wrong account.