RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Best setup for my situation

jeffshead

The more I read, the more confused I get because of all of the personal opinions. I need help with deciding which path I should take with setting up my system.

I was all set to purchase a QNAP TS-451+ until I came across some conflicting info and how others have built an all-in-one server that has a virtualized NAS.

In a nutshell, I need to know what would be the best hardware/setup for my budget ($500-600). I already have one ESXi host with everything installed on hardware RAID 10, internal storage. It performs very well. I want to convert an existing workstation into another ESXi host. I have all of the parts I need to do this so it will not affect my budget. I just don't know if I should go the internal storage route, buy the QNAP TS-451+, build an all-in-one server or build a physical NAS using parts from another workstation.

I'm concerned about performance and storing backups. I'm thinking the NAS would be nice because I can use it with both ESXi hosts but from what I've read, performance will not be on par with ESXi internal storage. Everything on my network is 1 Gigabit.

Hardware specs of parts for ESXi or all-in-one I'm going to build:

• Motherboard that supports vt-d
  • i7-950 CPU
  • 24GB memory
  • LSI 9260-81 RAID controller
  • 4 - 4TB SATA HDD's
  • Broadcom 5709C 4-port Gigabit NIC

My requirements:

1. Really good performance
  2. Need to be able to stream and store videos that are LAN accessible.
  3. Have some storage space that is LAN accessible so VM's and other physical machines can share files or map as a drive.

- Will a $500-600 NAS provide the performance I want?

- Is an all-in-one server robust and does it perform well?

- Will anything within my budget beat the performance of ESXi internal storage?

- What have I not taken into consideration?

I realize you probably need more info to help me. Please tell me what you need from me :)

Edited by jeffshead

• 2 weeks later...

The key in external storage is in how fast your drives are in the NAS vs what kind of controller you'd be using if they were connected locally.

In this case, your LSI controller wins out over the NAS because it's a caching controller.  The 9260-8i is robust, and as it can support eight drives, I'd be likely to put a boot SSD off your motherboard controller to run the hypervisor, and then use the LSI controller for the magnetic storage to hold your VMs.  Try and use 7200rpm drives like the HGST NAS drives, so you'll at least get moderate performance, as well as the benefit of getting CCTL (time-limited error recovery) for any RAID arrays you set up.

The NAS is more of a good choice for backing everything up.  You could look at using Veeam or something similar to back up to the NAS by setting it up as an iSCSI target; you could even split it into two targets and use one-per-ESXi server.

Edited by LoneWolf

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Giuseppolino87
      By Giuseppolino87
      Hi everyone, today I wanted to install esxi 6.7 to try out the various functions, my question is the following, I have a server where I have installed esxi in an SSD and I have two other 4 tb disks so 8 tb total.  I would like to make sure that when I create a virtual machine in this case I will install the various virtual machines in the SSD and use the two disks for data.  So how can I do this?  Thank you very much for those who can help me.
    • E3000
      By E3000
      Hey guys,

As of June 2020, what are the latest versions of firmware for HP Microserver Gen8 to be installed on the system itself? Also do any other components have updatable firmware/os-independent software?

So far my list is as follows:
      BIOS - J06 (04/04/2019) iLO 4 - v2.73 (11/02/2020) Intelligent Provisioning - v1.71 (20/02/2019)  
      and I guess the following could also be added (although both out of date):
      Smart Update Manager (HP SUM) - v8.1.0 (21/12/2017) Service Pack for ProLiant (06/11/2017)  
      Date formated as DD/MM/YYYY.

I believe all the B120i Smart Storage stuff is part of Intelligent Provisioning.
    • E3000
      By E3000
      Hello all,

A few questions for those who use Type-1 Hypervisors on their Gen8 MicroServers...

I am looking to try ESXi or ProxMox and have been reading a lot of the threads on here.
      Hopefully you guys can help with some harder to find answers I have been seeking.

1) Which would be the better way to setup ProxMox:
           a) Hypervisor on Internal MicroSD, VMs installed on SSD in ODD Port, Data on 4x HDDs in bays.
           b) Hypervisor on Internal USB, VMs installed on SSD in ODD Port, Data on 4x HDDs in bays.
           c) Hypervisor and VMs both installed on same SSD (partitioned?) in ODD Port, Data on 4x HDDs in bays.
           d) Hypervisor on SSD using a USB-to-SATA cable on Internal USB, VMs installed on separate SSD in ODD Port, Data on 4x HDDs in bays.

2) Would a 128GB SSD be a ‘waste‘ for installing a Hypervisor on? How much space is typically needed?

3) How many VMs have you guys run on a Gen8 comfortably without it being sluggish?

4) Everyone seems to be going RAID crazy these days. Is there any reason to use it if high-availability is not that necessary and a good backup plan is in place? What is wrong with separate disks (or singular Raid0s)?

5) Does using Type-1 Hypervisors have any effect on the internal fans speed/noise? Is it possible to have 3-5 VMs running and still have the fan speed @~8% as it was when I was using 2 nested (Type-2) VMs?

Sorry in advance if some of these questions are silly, common knowledge, or “depends on what you are doing in the VMs!” 😆

Thanks in advance to all those that help!
    • Al_Borges
      By Al_Borges
      hey forum member,  need some help

this evening ,   there has been continual attempts to remotely log onto my QNAP Nas

about every 15 seconds

see the attached notification screen shot

I have disabled the default admin account and the real obscure administrator account has a very secure password

what should I do next?  should I be worried?

• Angelus
      By Angelus
      Good day all

i bought a gen 10 x3216 MicroServer and I have been trying to install windows server 2016 on it with a usb and I get it to boot into the usb with the iso on it but I can not get past the one install step where u supposed to select the drive.

instead it says to download storage drivers and browse to select driver. I have downloaded every single storage driver from the hpe site or is sure does feel like it.

if I try to select the driver I have to do so manually by unticking show only compatible drivers because if I leave it ticked there is nothing compatible. Iam stumped on what the correct driver is.

ok so what Iam trying to do isssssss I want to install the os onto the usb that I have attached inside the box the one that is directly coming off the board. Is that a different driver ? 

In bios/boot up options I can see all usb connected.

can anyone please help me with this