RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Windows Storage Server 2012 R2 Essentials - Best Value Home Server NAS replacement?

gue

Hi Guys!

This is my first post here so a short indroduction first:

I am 36 years and working with Windows Systems since 21 years and also with Windows Servers since about 10 years.

At home and for some friends with a SOHO I am using Windows Home Server (v1 & 2011) for many years now and it's still the best worry-free NAS backup solution.

But well, as we all know MS ist not selling Home Server Licences anymore and they try to fill up this gap with the Windows Essentials 2012 R2 Server which is much more expensive with less functionality...

I am also following your Podcasts with one ear from time to time to find out if there is some worthy replacement for the legacy WHS products:

Maybe I only have missed it but could it be that you never reported anything about Windows STORAGE Server 2012 R2 ESSENTIALS (not Workgroup or Standard) ??

This seems to be the direct successor for WHS 2011 which does still include the good old Dashboard and now also an Active Domain Controller, look at this:

http://wss.thecus.com/product_W5810.php

=> Specifications

And now the best:

This Thecus Windows Storage Server 2012 R2 Essentials NAS with a Celeron CPU and an integrated 60GB SSD for boot device is available for about 600 USD !?

Sounds too good to be true?

What do you think about it?

Regards, Gue

I just found another short but nice review of this NAS, even if the Dashboard of the Windows Server Essentials Experience Server Role is not shown there:

$600 sounds about right, actually.

That said, if you plan on only serving files, basically, then this should be fine.