RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

HP Gen8 1610T windows cannot be installed to this disk this computer's hardware

peaks2006@gmail.com

Product Name: HP GEN8 1610T
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, I have recently bought HP GEN8 1610T and have installed WD RED 3TB Hard Disk into it. I was successful in creation of an array. I have downloaded Windows 10 on USB, so basically now it is bootable. When I get to the partition screen I am getting this error:

windows cannot be installed to this disk this computer's hardware

Any idea what am I doing wrong here? Initially I was getting this error:

"We couldn’t create a new partition or locate an existing one. For more information, see the Setup log files."

So basically I went to BIOS and did reset to defaults and thats when I started getting the windows cannot be installed to this disk this computer's hardware  error.

Thanks.

Well, after spending nearly 3 days on this weird issue,

I just did these steps:

1) After booting from CD/DVD, at the very first screen in the windows installation, press shift+F10. This will bring up command prompt.
2) Run the following commands, one by one (without quotes):
"diskpart" press enter 
"list disk" press enter <~~this will display the drives attached to the computer. They will be numbered starting with "0".
3) Select the drive you want to install windows on, and reformat it:
"select disk [disk number]" press enter <~~example, "select disk 0"
"clean" press enter 

I skipped the step where we have to convert it to gpt. Aftet that I also changed the SATA control mode to AHCI. and magically it worked.

So I guess the only thing which was different was converting HD to gpt.

Anyways its fixed. Thanks Guys.

But if I do that step then I get an error that drive is not of GPT type. An idea? I successfully installed it but the space that I got is 2TB instead of 3 TB, There is some unallocated space, any idea what to do?

Thanks.

There is a 2TB boot partition limit on Windows, unless you have a UEFI BIOS. The Gen8 does not have a UEFI BIOS. Also I find it is best to not mix OS and data on the same drive on servers.

• 1 month later...

Well, after spending nearly 3 days on this weird issue,

I just did these steps:

1) After booting from CD/DVD, at the very first screen in the windows installation, press shift+F10. This will bring up command prompt.

2) Run the following commands, one by one (without quotes):

"diskpart" press enter 

"list disk" press enter <~~this will display the drives attached to the computer. They will be numbered starting with "0".

3) Select the drive you want to install windows on, and reformat it:

"select disk [disk number]" press enter <~~example, "select disk 0"

"clean" press enter 

I skipped the step where we have to convert it to gpt. Aftet that I also changed the SATA control mode to AHCI. and magically it worked.

So I guess the only thing which was different was converting HD to gpt.

Anyways its fixed. Thanks Guys.

Do you think that the above steps will work on Windows 8.1 too? I do not have a Windows 10 license but I believe if I can update Win 8.1 to Win 10 after a successful installation of Win 8.1. Do you mind if you add to the steps above the missing steps you mentioned ? 

Do I need before line command to create the array first and then to load the driver for the B120i controller?