RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

server 2012R2 essentials access based enumeration

niguy

Hi

Im would like to hide folders that users have no access to when they navigate to the server share eg, when a user accesses \\192.168.x.x\ and authenticate they are able to view all shared folders.

I would like to remove all folders they have no rights to access, i have enabled enumeration via the server manager but they still appear.

Can anyone guide me on how to hide these shared folders

Thank You

use "\\IP.Add.re.ss\Shared Folders" instead. 

That's actually the exact reason that Microsoft created the share for that. It only shows that shared folders, and not any of the extra stuff. 

Also, the connector software should create a shortcut for this in the "This PC"/Computer section. 

the problem i have is that it dose'nt work, when i navigate to \\ipaddress\ the users can still see all folders when they don't have access to 90% of them even with enumeration enabled

Seeing them and getting in are two different things.  Why are you giving users an IP Address of the server?  The Shortcut created by the Connector software would only give them access or see  what they have been access to see.

I'm giving them the ip as they are using a vpn to connect into the network, the only way for them to access the shares is via the ip address, the users dont have connector installed on there pc laptop or mac computers

additionaly the vpn is running on my firewall and the user authenticates via radius on the server

Seems like you defeated the whole purpose if using Essentials, but anyways, did you check the box for "ABE" when you setup the shares?  If you did, the users should not be seeing those folders, only the ones they have access to.

i have enabled ABE on each folder within the properties of the share that users dont have access to but the user can still see the folder

That's odd. They should be able to see those folders.  I wonder if the IP Address is allowing that to come through.  I've used the built-in VPN client for Windows 7 & 10 and never had to use the IP Address (the best I can remember) to get to shares.

they can see the folders, i dont want them to be able to see folders they have no rights to access, i thought that enabling ABE it would block them visually but in this case it hasnt and for the life of me i cant figure this one out.

My installation is nothing special, i have a standard setup, you would think that something els is taking control over the ABE setting

Since this is Essentials and not Regular Server, there may be a share in there you aren't accounting for.  Did you look at all of the Shares in Computer Management?