RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

ML30G9 Drive Cage in ML10v2

Joe_Miner

To see if it would work I moved the Drive Cage from the ML30G9 to my ML10v2 and hooked it to my P222 with 4 5TB drives.  Then hooked a SAS/SATA breakout cable to the MB SAS connector and attached two SSDs to ports 1 & 2 -- Port 1 SSD has my OS (Windows 8.1) and Port 2 SSD has my HyperV VMs.  Ports 3 & 4 I ran to an Icy Dock that can hold 4 2.5" HDDs in a 5.25" ODD slot.  I also ran SATA cables from MB Ports 5 & 6 to the Icy Dock and in the Icy Dock I have 4 1TB 2.5" HDDs.

So far so good!

I added two 60mm fans to the ML10v2 which is now keeping the P222 temps in the 50sC (climbed up to 85+C when I first tired it without the fans- Yikes).

If this setup works after some burn-in I plan to use it to duplicate my entire main home server's data

Planning a move (to the Buckeye State)  in the not to distant future which has kept me quite busy with little time to spend on the boards or just playing with Tech so it was nice to spend part of a rainy afternoon with the ML10v2 and ML30!

Edited by Joe_Miner

Sounds good Joe. I tried the same thing and for some reason could not get the drive cage to work. Possibly 2 bad cables or a bad backplane. I ended up just using the breakout cable for the stock drive cage and will be putting in a non hot swap backplane that the cable connectors screw down to some time this week. Much easier then having to remove connectors and pull the drive cage every time.

What is the part number on the backplane from the ML30G9 if you get a chance to look at it. Would be interesting to see if the one I bought is the same.

Thanks

Sorry it didn't work for you. 

Next time I have it open I note the stock number but I'm pretty sure it's standard ML30 HW.

Sorry it didn't work for you. 

Next time I have it open I note the stock number but I'm pretty sure it's standard ML30 HW.

I'm pretty sure Gibster got the same part as mine, which is the ML310e Gen8 v2 backplane.  Should be part 671308-001.

I doubt the part is different than the ML30 G9, though there's always the possibility HP assigned a different part number.

I used an SFF8087 cable that had come with a previous LSI controller I owned.  Worked without a hitch.

Edited by LoneWolf
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I added two 60mm fans to the ML10v2 which is now keeping the P222 temps in the 50sC (climbed up to 85+C when I first tired it without the fans- Yikes).

So question, were did you add these fans. Ive been thinking of adding a fan or two, but not sure were to mount them...