RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

ML30G9 Drive Cage in ML10v2

Joe_Miner

To see if it would work I moved the Drive Cage from the ML30G9 to my ML10v2 and hooked it to my P222 with 4 5TB drives.  Then hooked a SAS/SATA breakout cable to the MB SAS connector and attached two SSDs to ports 1 & 2 -- Port 1 SSD has my OS (Windows 8.1) and Port 2 SSD has my HyperV VMs.  Ports 3 & 4 I ran to an Icy Dock that can hold 4 2.5" HDDs in a 5.25" ODD slot.  I also ran SATA cables from MB Ports 5 & 6 to the Icy Dock and in the Icy Dock I have 4 1TB 2.5" HDDs.

So far so good!

I added two 60mm fans to the ML10v2 which is now keeping the P222 temps in the 50sC (climbed up to 85+C when I first tired it without the fans- Yikes).

If this setup works after some burn-in I plan to use it to duplicate my entire main home server's data

Planning a move (to the Buckeye State)  in the not to distant future which has kept me quite busy with little time to spend on the boards or just playing with Tech so it was nice to spend part of a rainy afternoon with the ML10v2 and ML30!

Edited by Joe_Miner

Sounds good Joe. I tried the same thing and for some reason could not get the drive cage to work. Possibly 2 bad cables or a bad backplane. I ended up just using the breakout cable for the stock drive cage and will be putting in a non hot swap backplane that the cable connectors screw down to some time this week. Much easier then having to remove connectors and pull the drive cage every time.

What is the part number on the backplane from the ML30G9 if you get a chance to look at it. Would be interesting to see if the one I bought is the same.

Thanks

Sorry it didn't work for you. 

Next time I have it open I note the stock number but I'm pretty sure it's standard ML30 HW.

Sorry it didn't work for you. 

Next time I have it open I note the stock number but I'm pretty sure it's standard ML30 HW.

I'm pretty sure Gibster got the same part as mine, which is the ML310e Gen8 v2 backplane.  Should be part 671308-001.

I doubt the part is different than the ML30 G9, though there's always the possibility HP assigned a different part number.

I used an SFF8087 cable that had come with a previous LSI controller I owned.  Worked without a hitch.

Edited by LoneWolf
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I added two 60mm fans to the ML10v2 which is now keeping the P222 temps in the 50sC (climbed up to 85+C when I first tired it without the fans- Yikes).

So question, were did you add these fans. Ive been thinking of adding a fan or two, but not sure were to mount them...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• koppa
      By koppa
      Hello,

I have recently purchased a Gen 8 Microserver with plans to install OMV.

I did a bit of reading prior (and having also got a N54L) picked up a P222 Smart Array Raid card so I could also use RAID 5 on my 4 x 8Tb WD Red Plus drives.

I also had lying around an old 2.5" 160Gb WD Blue drive which I was going to use for the OS.

All the extra parts and cables have been installed (power from FDD to SATA for the HDD) and everything appeared ok.

I have configured the 160Gb drive as Raid 0 in SSA on the B120i internal controller.  However when I attempt to install OMV, it comes up with an error message when installing the files onto this drive.

Is it possible to install an OS onto the ODD drive and boot from it.  I have read elsewhere that I may need to use either a USB or microSD card as the boot device.

Does this drive need to be a SSD?
      Since I have plugged the SAS cable into the P222 card, I was able to configure the drives in RAID 5, however, I am now getting a error under iLO saying System Health Degraded.

Upon further investigation, it appears to be from the P222 card, getting Error 1797 - Slot 1 Drive Array - Write-Back Cache Backup Previously failed, caching is disabled at startup.

When I open the SSA application, there is a Warning - 823 - The cache for Smart Array P222 in Slot 1 has been disabled because the backup operation failed.

I am unsure what could be causing this as the card has the cache and battery (both being detected).  I have tried removing the cache and reinstalling it but didn't make a difference.

Is this a hardware issue?  I only just purchased the card so will contact the seller to advise of a faulty card.

Any help on either of these would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    • ausdroid
      By ausdroid
      Hi All,

Is it possible for the P222 Raid Card to pass through storage on the Mircroserver Gen8 esxi 7.0u build? 
      I cannot get my VM to see a datastore I have created after rebuilding my Gen8 from Windows to ESXI 7.0u

Hope my query makes sense.

Thanks

Ausdroid

• pksparks
      By pksparks
      Hi,
      it is a stormy weekend here, lots of rain, so i want to change some configurations in my gen8 with P212 smart array card
      my configuration:

booting from odd bay 240 gb ssd 
      in gen 8 bays 1 and 2  raid 2x 3 tb
      bay 3 and 4 stand alone drives for server backup and client backups. All connected to b210

an external box for 4 drives, all raid 0 connected to p212 external port.

my changes include the following:

replace P212 by P222.
      take connector from b210 and connect it to internal port P222
      connect external connector to P222
      connect ssd to b210 port 1 for higher speed.

questions i am asking myself:
      a) will all arrays be recognized directly when connect to P222
      b) will set boot from ssd, guess i have to look in setup for boot disk
      c) can i add a second ssd, same size, and make it an raid 1 configuration, so port 1 and 2 from b210 are 1 boot disk?

rgds
      Patrick
      Sorry, When writing b210, i meant b120i
    • arefiev.dm
      By arefiev.dm
      Hello! I put P222 on my Gen8 server, but I can not use RAID6. Can someone share the key?
    • Bungow
      By Bungow
      Hello

I have a Micreoserver gen8 with a new P222 and 4 X 4TB WD red drives forming a raid6 array. The problem is i can hear a loud noise comming from HDD like a intense reading disk operation, but when disks suposly are idle. This happen periodicaly like each 15 minutos or so. I think this can be a checking disk operation from p222 raid card but is anoying and I'm not sure. Can you provide any hint to this?

Thank You