RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Rod at home

How do I change channels on my WiFi?

Rod at home

Today I saw an article online discussing some useful Windows 10 apps to try. One of them is named WiFi Analyzer. I downloaded it and it seems to work well. Put it onto my Surface 3, walked around the house and saw where my Wi-Fi is weaker, etc. Great stuff.

But one thing it recommended is that I change the channel used for my Wi-Fi. Apparently I'm using 4, it recommended 11. There's only one problem. I've no idea at all what its talking about. What are these channels related to Wi-Fi? How do I change it? Do I do that at the router? At each device that connect to the router's Wi-Fi? At both?

Sorry to sound so ignore, but I've no idea what its talking about so can't effect any changes, anywhere.

cskenney

You change the channel on your router (or wireless access point).

• Like 1

dvn

Basically, wifi broadcasts (transmits and receives information) on channels, aka discrete bands of radio frequencies. The issue is that adjacent wifi stations (wireless routers) interfere with and so degridate each other's performance if they happen to be broadcasting on the same or near the same channel. Your wifi analyzer picked up on this and made a channel recommendation. If you don't mind reading, this is a decent article to get you started.

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/179344-how-to-boost-your-wifi-speed-by-choosing-the-right-channel

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

• Like 2

itGeeks

Today I saw an article online discussing some useful Windows 10 apps to try. One of them is named WiFi Analyzer. I downloaded it and it seems to work well. Put it onto my Surface 3, walked around the house and saw where my Wi-Fi is weaker, etc. Great stuff.

But one thing it recommended is that I change the channel used for my Wi-Fi. Apparently I'm using 4, it recommended 11. There's only one problem. I've no idea at all what its talking about. What are these channels related to Wi-Fi? How do I change it? Do I do that at the router? At each device that connect to the router's Wi-Fi? At both?

Sorry to sound so ignore, but I've no idea what its talking about so can't effect any changes, anywhere.

Its already been explained what it is and where you change the setting so I am not going to repeat that,

What is the make and model of you wireless access point?

Is it built into your router?

Rod at home

Thank you itGeeks, I've got it.