RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Noob requests advice on installing W2K12R2 on Gen 8

Stonebroomian

I realise I'm probably going to directed to the FAQ, but here goes.

Completely new to Gen 8 servers, (but have had a N40L for years and love it), but recently purchased a new Gen 8 (with B120i raid controller, and 4 HDDs), and I'm struggling to get Windows Server 2012 R2 installed. Followed the process in IP, which copied the files from the installation DVD then re-booted, only to find no C: drive detected.

Rather than thrashing about in the dark, can anyone point me to an installation guide, (or the relevant part of the FAQ) that spells out the steps so that even idiots like me can understand?

yours in hope.....

The four drives are SATA drives, on four arrays, each configured to RAID 0, with 1 logical disk on each array. BIOS configuration indicates that B120i is being used.

What size are the drives?

Have you updated the BIOS and all firmware?

Even though IP should pick up the driver for the B120i it may not. I would try a manual install with the B120i drivers on a USB. Be sure to put the USB drive in a USB 2.0 port.

Here is one of John's videos on this topic:

• Like 1

I used Intelligent Provisioning to install mine. My setup is a little different from yours. I have an optional boot drive instead of the ODD drive (a small 128Gb Samsung SSD). I just made a RAID 0 Array on it and installed the OS.

On your setup, the system tries to boot from the first HDD installed in Bay1. If you haven't installed the OS on that array, it may fail to boot. I'm not really sure if that is the case, because I didn't test it. I just remember reading about it somewhere, so I may be wrong.

On another note, it really should not make any difference on what array you installed the OS, but the Gen8 is a special beast and needs to be handled just wright. If you don't need the ODD in your machine AND you have another small spare HDD laying around, you can install it instead of the ODD and make a RAID 0 array and install the OS there.

Off topic: From my personal experience, I went trough a lot of different setups. My opinion would be to install something like Proxmox and virtualize your environment. You can easily setup backup jobs of the VMs and it is free. It also doesn't use as much memory as Win2012 R2. I currently also have win2012r2 but plan on scrapping it and just go with something simpler.

I was just about to install this on my Gen8, I didn't know there was a special way you had to install it. I just thought you could install it straight to the SSD but I guess I was wrong. Glad I found this forum. 

I was just about to install this on my Gen8, I didn't know there was a special way you had to install it. I just thought you could install it straight to the SSD but I guess I was wrong. Glad I found this forum. 

The Gen8 only boots off the ODD SATA port if you are using the B120i. In AHCI mode it only boots from any of the four drive bays.

It is important to determine how you want your disks to be configured before you start. 

What would be the better option? In AHCI mode Windows Server would control the Raid functionality while with the B120i would be a hardware raid configuration.

The B120i really isn't hardware RAID, it is HP firmware using the Intel SATA controller on the motherboard. The best features of the B120i, it is ESXi compatible and it is compatible with HP hardware RAID controllers, so you can easily migrate RAID sets to other HP controllers like the P222.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Followed Schoondoggy's advice to a manual install and install the drivers from USB. Worked a treat.

I know it's belated but many thanks for the help....

• Like 1