RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Problem to boot from micro SD

Hamamatsu

Hello I am Ton and I am new on this forum and new with the microserver.

I have a problem to boot the microserver from a 1G micro sd card. I programmed the sd-card as http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/5886-gen8-25-hdd-in-the-odd-bay-discussion/page-3#entry67539

When its starts booting from the sd after a few seconds i get this error message:

Gen8.jpg

When I boot directly from my ssd it starts normally.

I tried a different 16G microsd-card, 4G usb stick but no result.

I have installed windows server 2012R2 on a 320Gb disk to usb port 5 and in my bios i have selected ahci.

I have search the internet for a solution but no result.

I hope someone on this forum can help me out.

I disconnected the power cable and waited a couple of minutes but when I put the power back on it started up with the same error message.

I don't think this is the same problem that I describe elsewhere. The error is that the bootloader doesn't match for some reason. You need to go through the instructions again and check everything. If you're using a different version of the OS then you may need to work out how to update it.

I have noticed that microSD boot works unreliable, experiencing problems every second week. 

I wondering, why not to use one of the regular HDDs in bays as the boot device? Just copy there boot stuff that way as described in the link above? I understand that we can't boot from HDD in ODD bay but why do we need SD for the boot?

I have noticed that microSD boot works unreliable, experiencing problems every second week.

Apart from the issue when iLO is reset, I've found the MicroSD reader to be reliable. I've never had any problems booting from it. I'm using ESXi however so I have no experience of booting Windows from the SD card.

Finally I have my problem fixed. I found this message https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/e25f707a-5d85-4d96-bd2d-6cd09d8b4d96/your-pc-needs-to-restart-please-hold-down-the-power-button?forum=winserver8setup

In the instructions of TheBiggerMan there is a line: bcdedit /store ?:\boot\bcd /set {default} path \windows\system32\boot\winload.exe

I left out "boot\" and leave everything else the same and now it boots from microsd.