RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
t2clej

Open-Mesh roaming/handoff

t2clej

Two questions:

(1) I'm currently using two Asus RT-AC68 to cover my house. I have different SSID for UP and DOWN and manually change the connection depending on where I am.

I had them both with the same SSID, however that did not work as once a device connected to specific router it would release even if the signal was very low. In other words, it would disconnect from one router and reconnect to the other closer router.

Does open-mesh and cloudtrax software handle that problem? Can I setup several open-mesh AP and roam the house/backyard with the AP/software handling the handoff between APs? 

Typical scenario: Daughter starts homework in study room connected to DOWN then goes up to her room on other side of house. She has to manual disconnect from DOWN and join UP or it stays connected to DOWN. I've trying having the same SSID for both but it still maintained connection to the router downstairs.

(2) Looking to buy the MR1750 and OM5P-AC vs another MR1750. Recommendations on best setup and recommendation on which router to use with these devices. Currently have Edgerouter Lite.

Thank you.

cskenney

These are good questions that I was also curious about.  I have a similar situation in my house right now too.  I didn't realize this was going on until I renamed one of the wireless access points with a different SSID.  Now I want to know (like you) how are these mesh networks handling which radio / device they are accessing such that I always have the best wireless speed and signal.

GotNoTime

You need the same SSID + key on both APs for it to work at all. If they've got distinct SSIDs then a client won't swap unless it completely loses all signal.

The client itself controls the roaming handover. The AP can reject the connection from the client in an attempt to make it jump to another closer AP but the client has the final decision. It may just decide to attempt to reconnect to the original AP even though the new AP has a far better signal. The battery life vs performance setting for WiFi in some devices may affect this.

t2clej

You need the same SSID + key on both APs for it to work at all. If they've got distinct SSIDs then a client won't swap unless it completely loses all signal.

The client itself controls the roaming handover. The AP can reject the connection from the client in an attempt to make it jump to another closer AP but the client has the final decision. It may just decide to attempt to reconnect to the original AP even though the new AP has a far better signal. The battery life vs performance setting for WiFi in some devices may affect this.

Thanks. I realize that SSID and key need to be the same. However, I have read that some access points (not sure if it's eero or ubiquity) have ways of passing the client to the stronger signal. So as you roam the house, iphone would switch between the various APs. 

From the client side, much if not all my hardware (iphone, laptop, etc) will hold on to a signal as I roam the house. They do not disconnect and reconnect to the closer, stronger signal. 

So I was hoping that the open-mesh hardware and cloudtrax software would be able to accomplish this. 

Can any users of open-mesh comment on this? 

Thanks.

jmwills

Is there any way for you to run CAT5 cable from one location to the other?

t2clej

Is there any way for you to run CAT5 cable from one location to the other?

Yes, I have cat6 run to several rooms.

jmwills

Call the router that is near the router, Router #1 and the other one Router #2.

Configure Router #1 as you normally would, etc.  Take router #2, disable DHCP and give it s static IP address within the same subnet that you configured for router#1. Use the same SSID as router #1  for device #2 (which is now an access point) and place it on a different channel than router #1.

You can now roam freely throughout the house on the same wireless network without dropping the signal.

snapper

I would imagine that OpenMesh would have the ability to set a min-rssi value, but I'm sure one of the guys with the actual devices will be along soon to confirm.

You could also look at the Ubiquiti AC-Pro or AC-LR AP's as they can set this value.

This document gives some background on how iDevices roam: https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT203068

Edited by snapper

t2clej

Call the router that is near the router, Router #1 and the other one Router #2.

Configure Router #1 as you normally would, etc.  Take router #2, disable DHCP and give it s static IP address within the same subnet that you configured for router#1. Use the same SSID as router #1  for device #2 (which is now an access point) and place it on a different channel than router #1.

You can now roam freely throughout the house on the same wireless network without dropping the signal.

I had it setup like that originally. However, I found that clients would "hold on" to router #1 as long as it could, even with weak signal and having moved much closer to router #2. 

therefore, i gave them separate SSID so i could pick the one I wanted based on location. It works but is not seamless. Family members forget and stay connected to AP with very weak signal.

I was hoping open mesh would handle the switching between APs

jmwills

This is how I have mine setup over about 4400 sq ft.  I've never dropped a connection and have three AP's connected to the router.