RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

New Gen 8

ShuG

Hi There,

Just got a new Gen8 and thought I'd post a couple of pics.  4 x 3Tb WD Reds  in main bays Raid 0 (I just wanted a big drive) ssc in the ODD connection raid 0. The 2.5" drives are on a Rocketraid 2720 non-raid controller. the drive cage is from an old HP laptop and the state of the art bracket is old school (mecanno)

The fan is running at 19% any suggestions on how to lower this

IMG_0264.JPG

IMG_0266.JPG

Edited by ShuG

I am also stuck on 19 percent fan tried the suggestions going around still hoping I have missed something. I switched to raid to get it quieter you have loads of drives I have a graphics card so can't have anymore than the 5 in mine like your bracket

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I am using this:

In Bios: "HP Power Profile" to "Balanced Power and Performance" and  "HP Power Regulator" to "HP Dynamic Power Savings Mode".

and I am using the modified ILO version.

My fan is working at 6-9%.

I tried the power profiles always ends up being 19 percent once everything settles. I heard about a modified bios or is it ilo but then heard the latest bios version resolves the fan speed. Do you think the modified ilo has done it

The modified iLO firmware is a special build made by HP themselves since they're the only people who can sign the firmware image. The modified image is very old however as it is based on 1.32 when the latest iLO4 image is 2.30. There are quite a lot of changes between 1.32 and 2.40 if you look at the change logs. There is no newer version as HP consider the later changes to have obsoleted this special build.

The specific modification made is "reduces the Microserver Gen8 main fan speed by 40% when the server is configured to a SATA mode where iLO 4 is unable to read drives temperatures."

Edited by GotNoTime

I see I don't use ilo only to see the fan speed but I changed from ahci to raid so would the modified version be only good for ahci

I see I don't use ilo only to see the fan speed but I changed from ahci to raid so would the modified version be only good for ahci

Somebody posted a link to download it here. It should be safe in terms of no third party modifications since iLO verifies the signature on the firmware before flashing it and only HP can sign it. No idea if it'll help though. Usual cautions about flashing firmware etc... Edited by GotNoTime

I've got 4 x 3TB WD Reds, in one of our Gen8, and it's 11%, stock firmware, iLo 2.4, all drives are reporting 30 degree C.

another Gen8, which has 4 x 7200rpm drives, the speed is 12%, stock firmware, iLo 2.4, all drives are reporting 35 degree C.

another Gen8, which has 4 x 7200rpm drives, the speed is 12%, stock firmware, iLo 2.4, all drives are reporting 35 degree C, non stock it has an Core i3-3240.

I could list more, we have many Gen8s!