RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Failing to see PCI-e card

Paulwarwicker

Hello,

I have a problem getting the Gen8 to recognise a Sil3132 based e-SATA card. The boot process doesn't show any of the expected output and when I check the IRQ assignments in the BIOS it only shows embedded devices. In the PCI Device Enable/Disable menu, again it only lists embedded devices.

I would suspect a faulty card but the card was new and I have tried it in another machine where it works fine. Tried cleaning the contacts and re-seating it a couple of times. No joy.

I don't have another PCI card to physically check whether the slot itself has a problem, but everything suggests the server itself is okay.

Has anyone encountered anything similar before?

Thanks in advance

-paul

Do you have anything connected to the card? I would not expect to see anything in pre-boot on a SATA card. What is the OS?

Do you have anything connected to the card? I would not expect to see anything in pre-boot on a SATA card. What is the OS?

I'm not familiar enough with the microservers, but unless the option to boot from add-on cards is enabled (sometimes referred to as "int 19"), it may not show the cards management firmware.

Hello,

I have a problem getting the Gen8 to recognise a Sil3132 based e-SATA card. The boot process doesn't show any of the expected output and when I check the IRQ assignments in the BIOS it only shows embedded devices. In the PCI Device Enable/Disable menu, again it only lists embedded devices.

I would suspect a faulty card but the card was new and I have tried it in another machine where it works fine. Tried cleaning the contacts and re-seating it a couple of times. No joy.

I don't have another PCI card to physically check whether the slot itself has a problem, but everything suggests the server itself is okay.

Has anyone encountered anything similar before?

Thanks in advance

-paul

If you're using Windows, check the Device Manager. It should be listed as a storage controller. 

But that said, I'd recommend not using these cards. The silicon Images chipsets are known for their instability. Heavy loads on them will cause the chipset to lockup, or crash. BSODing Windows, or cause other undesirable behavior. 

I don't but I have usually found that this particular card that isn't always necessary. It usually announces itself during the boot process without anything connected.

The disk array is currently in use on another server with an identical card. It's this server I'm trying to consolidate on the Microserver. I'll try that when I can.

The OS is ESXi Hypervisor 6.0. I do know that VMWare deprecated that particular driver but I planned to pass this through directly to the VM. The guest OS would be FreeNAS.

Thanks

-paul

I'm not familiar enough with the microservers, but unless the option to boot from add-on cards is enabled (sometimes referred to as "int 19"), it may not show the cards management firmware.

But that said, I'd recommend not using these cards. The silicon Images chipsets are known for their instability. Heavy loads on them will cause the chipset to lockup, or crash. BSODing Windows, or cause other undesirable behavior.

Interesting. I'll check that out about int 19. Thanks.

The card has no obvious manufacturer name but I have to say this older card hasn't let me down in several years of service. It has even survived a serious flood incident, with both card and enclosure affected. I bought a second enclosure after the flooding as a replacement but the original is still working.

Cheers

-paul

The card has no obvious manufacturer name but I have to say this older card hasn't let me down in several years of service. It has even survived a serious flood incident, with both card and enclosure affected. I bought a second enclosure after the flooding as a replacement but the original is still working.

Well, "survived" may be debatable here. :)

It may not have had any immediate damage, but the water exposure may have lead to corrosion, and that *could* be why it's not working now!

Well, "survived" may be debatable here. :)

It may not have had any immediate damage, but the water exposure may have lead to corrosion, and that *could* be why it's not working now!

It's actually the other way around. The older water damaged card is in an old desktop tower and is working perfectly. The new card in the Gen8 is the problematic one.

I fully expect the old card to give up eventually, which is why I wanted to consolidate on the Gen8.

-paul

use lspci in the ESXi host, if the card is alive and well, it will be listed in the devices.

ESXi will only load the drivers for the PCI device, if it recognises the card, e.g. it's on the HCL, unless you've compiled a driver, and added it manually.

see here

~ # lspci
0000:00:00.0 Bridge: AMD Inc RS880 Host Bridge
0000:00:01.0 Bridge: Hewlett-Packard Company
0000:00:02.0 Bridge: AMD Inc RS780 PCI to PCI bridge (ext gfx port 0) [PCIe RP[0000:00:02.0]]
0000:00:06.0 Bridge: AMD Inc RS780 PCI to PCI bridge (PCIE port 2) [PCIe RP[0000:00:06.0]]
0000:00:11.0 Mass storage controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB700 SATA Controller [AHCI Mode] [vmhba0]
0000:00:12.0 Serial bus controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 USB OHCI0 Controller
0000:00:12.2 Serial bus controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 USB EHCI Controller
0000:00:13.0 Serial bus controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 USB OHCI0 Controller
0000:00:13.2 Serial bus controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 USB EHCI Controller
0000:00:14.0 Serial bus controller: ATI Technologies Inc SBx00 SMBus Controller
0000:00:14.1 Mass storage controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB700/SB800 IDE Controller [vmhba1]
0000:00:14.3 Bridge: ATI Technologies Inc SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 LPC host controller
0000:00:14.4 Bridge: ATI Technologies Inc SBx00 PCI to PCI Bridge
0000:00:16.0 Serial bus controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 USB OHCI0 Controller
0000:00:16.2 Serial bus controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 USB EHCI Controller
0000:00:18.0 Bridge: AMD Inc Family 10h Processor HyperTransport Configuration
0000:00:18.1 Bridge: AMD Inc Family 10h Processor Address Map
0000:00:18.2 Bridge: AMD Inc Family 10h Processor DRAM Controller
0000:00:18.3 Bridge: AMD Inc Family 10h Processor Miscellaneous Control
0000:00:18.4 Bridge: AMD Inc Family 10h Processor Link Control
0000:01:05.0 Display controller: ATI Technologies Inc RS880M [Mobility Radeon HD 4225/4250]
0000:02:00.0 Serial bus controller: QLogic Corp SP232-based 4Gb Fibre Channel to PCI Express HBA
0000:03:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5723 Gigabit Ethernet [vmnic0]

The card shown above 0000:02:00.0 Serial bus controller: QLogic Corp SP232-based 4Gb Fibre Channel to PCI Express HBA is not officially supported by VMware ESXi, bu shows up to a lspci, without a driver loaded!

use lspci in the ESXi host, if the card is alive and well, it will be listed in the devices.

Thanks. Had tried that already just in case but it was not displayed. Unless it is recognised and displayable in the BIOS I think it's a non starter.

-paul

Do you have anything connected to the card? I would not expect to see anything in pre-boot on a SATA card.

Unfortunately didn't make a difference.

-paul

Thanks. Had tried that already just in case but it was not displayed. Unless it is recognised and displayable in the BIOS I think it's a non starter.

-paul

Unfortunately didn't make a difference.

-paul

if it's not displayed, the card is either dead, or not compatible with the server, it should appear in the list of PCI devices.

we've had issues like this with many add-in generic cards, in HP servers. they do not appear, we had Fusion IO (now SanDisk) cards that would not appear in HP servers and the Gen8, these were direct from Fusion-IO/SanDisk, the HP versions of the same card with different firmware work!!!