RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
mc999

Home NAS advice - use commercial product or Roll-Your-Own?

itGeeks

itGeeks... With regards to the ds716+, that's a little too pricey for what I want to spend at the moment.. I just need the NAS for hosting my media and some documents (which I'll be backing up as well).. This will be a little toe-poke-in-the-water type thing and then I'll worry about diving into more advanced NAS. After reading the FreeNAS recommended hardware requirements I'm a little worried that the budget will blown well and truly out of the water. I don't think I need to go down that path...The CPU is an i3 530 I think clocked at 2.93 MHz - mobo has 8G RAM already (2 x 4GB), it will allow 16GB but my 2 x 8GB won't work but 4 x 4GB will. The motherboard is GA-H55-USB3 (I incorrectly typed GA-H55M-USB3 before!). Seems like this will be a good fit to test the waters.. I've only had teh Shield for a little while and been pretty happy with it so far... hasn't had an issue with any of the media I've used and Kodi on it is works quite well.. I've got the 16 GB version but also added a 128 GB microSD..

Lots of useful suggestions here... still thinking which way to go though...

I can respect the ds716+ maybe out of budget right now just take your time and try to spend once even if you have to wait a bit. Like you said lots of options but if you decide to go down the NAS/Plex path save your pennies and get the ds716+ if your settled on a off the shelf 2 bay NAS device, You will thank me later for spending your $$$. As for Kodi that is a totally different animal, Kodi does all its hard work on the client and not the server where as Plex does all its work on the server another words Kodi does its trans-coding on the client and Plex does its trans-coding on the server and that's y you need good sever grunt when using Plex. See this link may help you understand https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0rNLfwoats

Edited by itGeeks

jmwills

I just worked a scenario at home where I "rolled my own". There are two servers in the mix, a WHS 2011 physical box in a Norco case which has 8x 3.5" Slots and 4 x 5.25 slots.  I am only using 4 of the 3.5 drive days.  This server has a RocketRais 2720 controller.

The other server is an HP DL385G6 ( don't laugh, it has 96 gigs of RAM) with 8 x 2.5 slots.  This server has a P410 controller plus a P222 controller with a MiniSas port 8088 I believe)

I installed 2x3TB WD Reds in the open slots in the Norco, grabbed power as needed and used a Forward Breakout cable with a Connector that fit into the P222 controller in the DL385.  Those 6TB are "offline" to the Server2013R2 host but as passed through to the 2016 Essentials test VM running inside.

I wish there was a way to pass through 8 drives on one cable.  I still have some 9mm 1TB WD Blues and some Samsung 840's SSD's that were at one time hosting the VM/s.  It's only time and money and I have more of one than another.

Just pointing out that you don't need to spend hundred of dollars if you have existing equipment is use that is under utilized and sit down and map out what you can do with the existing equipment.

itGeeks

I just worked a scenario at home where I "rolled my own". There are two servers in the mix, a WHS 2011 physical box in a Norco case which has 8x 3.5" Slots and 4 x 5.25 slots.  I am only using 4 of the 3.5 drive days.  This server has a RocketRais 2720 controller.

The other server is an HP DL385G6 ( don't laugh, it has 96 gigs of RAM) with 8 x 2.5 slots.  This server has a P410 controller plus a P222 controller with a MiniSas port 8088 I believe)

I installed 2x3TB WD Reds in the open slots in the Norco, grabbed power as needed and used a Forward Breakout cable with a Connector that fit into the P222 controller in the DL385.  Those 6TB are "offline" to the Server2013R2 host but as passed through to the 2016 Essentials test VM running inside.

I wish there was a way to pass through 8 drives on one cable.  I still have some 9mm 1TB WD Blues and some Samsung 840's SSD's that were at one time hosting the VM/s.  It's only time and money and I have more of one than another.

Just pointing out that you don't need to spend hundred of dollars if you have existing equipment is use that is under utilized and sit down and map out what you can do with the existing equipment.

Great info. I also had a "role my own" for years before I decided I had enough with Microsoft servers. When I was using WHS 2011 and the WSE2012 I had them setup in a Norco RPC-4224 that holds 24 hard drives and a RocketRAID 2760a, I have since sold the controller to a HSS forum member though I still have the case if anyone is interested in purchasing it. After handing over the duties to a Synology NAS I could never look back, Unlike the Microsoft stuff my setup has been rock solid, I now use "Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE" for my bear-metal backups and unlike the Microsoft backups the restores work each and every time plus I can do a lot more with it because of the Synology package center, It seems the sky is the limit with things you can do.

Poppapete

@Poppapete: How can I be sure the device (I'm assuming you're referring to the NAS device, be it homebuilt or commercial) will not be doing any transcoding? No idea what media files I'll have in the future... Is the i3 530 not powerful enough? If only one client is being streamed to that requires transcoding (I think the Sheild should not need it) will this cpu not suffice?

Given that you're in Oz (albeit in a warmer part!) do you have any suggestions for something affordable within our sunburnt country bounds? ;-)

1. Spend $20 on this book (or wait till it's half price which happens more than once a year). Trust me it will give you ideas you have never thought of.

Building a Windows 10 Home Server - We Got Served

2. You should be able to get an old computer with an i5 (or better) cpu for next to nothing. The MB must be able to handle the # of drives you require.  If that is a limitation then you need one of these.

SAS 9207-8i Host Bus Adapter

I got one from China on Aliexpress for $110 AUD.  It is best that the MB has PCIe 3.0 but not crucial for a file server.

3. Now all you have to do is buy the drives.  That's where the $$$$ are required. The guys in the US of A have no idea how much we have to pay for hardware here. I find Umart the cheapest in Australia for Hard Drives.

Add Storage Spaces or better still buy StableBit Drive Pool and forget RAID.  Then you will have at a cheaper price a file server, media server and much more that IMO is far superior & more versatile to any NAS you can buy.

mc999

@Poppapete... Yes the members from USA really can't fathom how steep hardware prices are here (no disrepect to you USA folk!) - it truly is the land of milk and honey here.. for suppliers!

Windows 10 ya reckon? Hmmm.. I'd be leaning more towards an open-source flavour for the box.. OMV, NAS4Free or RockStor... but that $20 book may be a good spend anyway.. thanks for the tip! I can get a cheap(ish) i5 for the Antec box my friend has kindly offered me... i5 760 (LGA 1156) looks to be a good fit and shouldn't be chewing too much resources The Antec can house 6 HDDs in removable-type bays so can be expanded if need be. It has 4 GB of RAM already and shouldbe easy to add more.

Yes I'll need to spend some $$ for the NAS-type HDDs (that was a given even if I go down the Synology/QNAP path!)... But I think the home-brew as a starter to this project (with old and new parts) will be the way...

:-)

I'll report back how it progresses...

@itGeeks:
@mc999. The only way you can be almost 100% sure there wont be any trans-coding needed is A) Install the "Plex Home Theater" (fat) Client on a Windows, MAC, Linux box for streaming https://plex.tv/downloads or B) do offline trans-coding of your media into the proper format the device can play using somthing like Handbrake or the new Plex "Media Optimizer" https://support.plex...imizer-Overview

The Shield has Plex already - though whether it's fat or thin or is the Plex Server (??) is another story... and am familiar with Handbrake already have it on my linux box and Win 7 lappie. :-)

Edited by mc999

itGeeks

@Poppapete... Yes the members from USA really can't fathom how steep hardware prices are here (no disrepect to you USA folk!) - it truly is the land of milk and honey here.. for suppliers!

Windows 10 ya reckon? Hmmm.. I'd be leaning more towards an open-source flavour for the box.. OMV, NAS4Free or RockStor... but that $20 book may be a good spend anyway.. thanks for the tip! I can get a cheap(ish) i5 for the Antec box my friend has kindly offered me... i5 760 (LGA 1156) looks to be a good fit and shouldn't be chewing too much resources The Antec can house 6 HDDs in removable-type bays so can be expanded if need be. It has 4 GB of RAM already and shouldbe easy to add more.

Yes I'll need to spend some $$ for the NAS-type HDDs (that was a given even if I go down the Synology/QNAP path!)... But I think the home-brew as a starter to this project (with old and new parts) will be the way...

:-)

I'll report back how it progresses...

@itGeeks:

@mc999. The only way you can be almost 100% sure there wont be any trans-coding needed is A) Install the "Plex Home Theater" (fat) Client on a Windows, MAC, Linux box for streaming https://plex.tv/downloads or B) do offline trans-coding of your media into the proper format the device can play using somthing like Handbrake or the new Plex "Media Optimizer" https://support.plex...imizer-Overview

The Shield has Plex already - though whether it's fat or thin or is the Plex Server (??) is another story... and am familiar with Handbrake already have it on my linux box and Win 7 lappie. :-)

Shield OS is AndroidTV so its the Plex "thin client", that said from what i understand though I don't own the Shield the shield supports a good verity of file types so trans-coding should be needed less but like I said without using a device that supports the Plex "fat client" there is no promise that there won't be some trans-coding needed.

itGeeks

Shield OS is AndroidTV so its the Plex "thin client", that said from what i understand though I don't own the Shield the shield supports a good verity of file types so trans-coding should be needed less but like I said without using a device that supports the Plex "fat client" there is no promise that there won't be some trans-coding needed.

Basically the Plex "fat client" has all the supporting file types included and that's y there is no trans-coding needed but you can only install this on Windows, MAC, Linux. The Plex "thin client" relies on what file types the device supports native hence is y depending on the source media there could be the need for trans-coding.

mc999

@itGeeks - Re: Plex, transcode, et al --> all good!

@Poppapete - Re Win 10 link for home server --> Have had a look at the link and some comments made -- seems like an interesting read and defnitely well worth @20. FWIW - I'll be purchasing that soon in case I do go down that path, at least having a ready resource would help. Thanks very much for the link!

Have now got the Antec box - will purchase the HDDs in the coming days and then decide whether I need to upgrade CPU (to an i5) or purchase new motherboard/cpu/RAM combo. I've initially installed Rockstor to see how it performs (I put in 2 old HDDs for now) and if I'm happy with UI management, etc. May give OMV a go to...

:)

mc999

Update: Tried some installations - with only one HDD as a test and SSD or USB stick for system

1. I installed RockStor on SSD to try - install was easy enough and management GUI was laid out fine - initial impressions were that it was not bad at all but haven't played too much with it, specifically setting up Plex and checking CPU.

2. Thought I'd give XPEnology a try to check the differences of install and management - unplugged SSD and went ahead. Very nice interface, had enough apps (without even adding community repos) to keep me interested. Added some media content to HDD and installed Plex Server. Easy peasy... Then tried viewing a movie (MP4, 1080, AAC) - using SmartTV and searching for content (DLNA) movie played perfectly, CPU usage negligible. Used Plex on Shield to view the same - movie played well but CPU usage thru the roof! What gives?

Set up is as follow - for testing purposes anyway. NAS box is connect via EoP to wall socket giving only 100Mb speed. SmartTV is wireless, Shield is wireless. Think the SmartTV uses wireless n, Shield uses wireless ac - router is TPLINK AC1750 with both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz bands configured.

Will move NAS box to router location and attach to this in one of Gbit ports (which is how it would be going forward) - will see if any difference.

That said, I'm going to purchase an i5 anyway (from ebay or the like) which should give Plex a bit more oomph - i5-2500 seems to be OK. Any thoughts?

Edited by mc999