RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
stigzler

2.5" drive reccomendations

stigzler

Hi folks,

Having installed a pci sata card, now looking to fill my T20 with drives.

What reccs are there around 2.5 drives? Do they have to be any particular dimensions? Sure I've seen you get different thickness's? What would I need to fit the T20? 

Ideally looking for 3/4TB. One will be used for p2p. I've seen loads of 'passport' type drives - guessing these are ssds? If so - guessing they wouldn't be good for frequent read/write?

I've seen this one, would it work?

https://www.reichelt.com/?LANGUAGE=EN&CTYPE=0&MWSTFREE=0&CCOUNTRY=447&ARTICLE=168764&PROVID=2788&wt_guka=22596781097_79177360697&PROVID=2788&gclid=Cj0KEQjwo_y4BRD0nMnfoqqnxtEBEiQAWdA129TC1baB7BdfSKD_TqlGKpV67zOPQSB-id1J-goHvC8aAofA8P8HAQ

Lastly, I would have preferred WD as had difficulties with Seagate in the past. However - WD don't make 2.5" drives @ this capacity?

Any help/advice appreciated

Edited by stigzler

HellDiverUK

2.5" drives are either 7mm, 9.5mm or 15mm in height.  7mm I think tops out at 500GB, 9.5mm at 2TB (Seagate), and 15mm again at 2TB (WD Green).

There are other drives announced, like the 3TB Seagate, but I've only seen them shipping in external boxes.  That unfortunately means USB interface.

"Passport" drives as you call them are just normal drives, as discussed above.

SSDs no good for frequent read/write?  Nonsense, it's not 2005 any more.  Any decent SSD will out-live it's owner under normal use.  For example, I have a 256GB Crucial M4 drive that was bought as soon as they were released.  I used it heavily, then it moved to my mother's PC that's never turned off.  It was in there for 2 or 3 years.  I got it back, and it's now in a ESXI host.  After all that it's sitting at 99% life left.

jmwills

For the most part, preconfigured drive caddies will only handle 7.5mm drives.  And I agree on the SSD discussion.  I have three in a RAID0 in my G7 server and I'm not worried about about about life expectancy.

schoondoggy

Toshiba is shipping a 3TB 2.5" 15MM drive, but it is very pricey.

schoondoggy

Nice to see the 4TB Seagates. I wasnt sure if they where shipping yet.

stigzler

Just hoping Seagate have upped their game a little since I last used them around 6/7 years ago. Bit unreliable then + switched to WDs +  never looked back. Well, until now when I needed this. 

Loving the T20. Got it modded now to take 2 extra 3.5 drives without need to mod the chassis (no warranty break) - one nut and bolt connects the second drive cage. 

It's bliss compared to all the hassle I had with the HP ex495. It...just...works... :)

Edited by stigzler

schoondoggy

Check the warranty on the Seagate 4tb 2.5". Most of them that are shipping are OEM drives, may nit have warranty.

jmwills

Okay I'll bite.  Why do you need a 4TB drive in a laptop?