RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
itGeeks

Hyper-V allocating Cores?

artiom

Best practice is to start with 1 vCPU / Core and see how it goes.. add more if necessary rather than work the other way around.

Is there any documentation describing why this is the best practice? IMHO allocating just one vCPU may work fine most of the time, but will degrade the performance during peak usage. Sharing several vCPUs betweed many VMs will lead to a better distribution of load and will use the hardware to maximum potential. Note I am not saying that the maximum number of vCPUs should be allocated ;)

Gmb1986

I can't find anything specifically, however it is just from experience in a production scenario.

The VMWare best practice guides are pretty good (the forum won't allow me to post a link).

artiom

I can't find anything specifically, however it is just from experience in a production scenario.

The VMWare best practice guides are pretty good (the forum won't allow me to post a link).

Hm... I am curious to find out whether there are any logical arguments about this? Unless you have a constantly-high load (which happens only in specific cases) - but most of the time, the demand for compute resources will come in spikes so having multiple CPUs would make the system much more responsive. From my experience it is a PITA to work with single vCPU VMs.

rotor

Is there any documentation describing why this is the best practice? IMHO allocating just one vCPU may work fine most of the time, but will degrade the performance during peak usage. Sharing several vCPUs betweed many VMs will lead to a better distribution of load and will use the hardware to maximum potential. Note I am not saying that the maximum number of vCPUs should be allocated ;)

I always allocate minimum 2 vCPUs, so that a runaway process on the VM won't cause the VM to slow to a crawl.

itGeeks

I always allocate minimum 2 vCPUs, so that a runaway process on the VM won't cause the VM to slow to a crawl.

Great Info, Thanks.

jmwills

I think if you are just running a home environment, at least start in the middle and see how you perform.  I have two available CPU's (12 total cores).  I spun up Tech Preview 5 of 2016 Essentials and couldn't figure out why everything was so slow until I noticed I had forgot to allocate more than the default 1 core.

After allocating 12 cores, I was good to go.  Can I get by wtis six, probably so.  I am running a DC, 2014 SQL, three SharePoint servers, 1 Playon Win7 box, 1 Sonar Win7 and I rarely am above 15% CPU on the host with all that running.