RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
itGeeks

Hyper-V allocating Cores?

jmwills

Give them all you can.  You will not disrupt the host.  My server has Dual Six core AMD processors and every Client I build gets 12 cores.

• Like 1

itGeeks

Give them all you can.  You will not disrupt the host.  My server has Dual Six core AMD processors and every Client I build gets 12 cores.

Its all very clear now, Thanks to everyone :)

itGeeks

And what about memory? Does the same principle apply?

If you have 4 cores, 8 with HT do you allocate 4 cores or 8?

It sounds to me like 4 cores but as a newbie others will have to confirm.

jmwills

The Hyper-V console will not let you assign more cores than what is available.  Memory is more granular, meaning it is a finite resource.  If your server has 12 gigs and you give one VM 10 gigs, there is only 2 gigs left for the host and any other potential client.  I have never liked dynamic memory which allocates memory up to what you specify.  In the above example, you could still allocate 10 gigs of dynamic memory and have anywhere between two and eight (roughly) for other machines.

If the client never used much memory, the remaining memory would be available for other purposes.

• Like 1

itGeeks

I just want to make sure I am clear, I think I know the answer but want to confirm. Your allocating all 12 of your cores to the VMs but am I safe to assume you only have 1 VM running at a time? Another words if you only have 12 cores you can't have 2-3 VMs running at a time all with 12 cores assigned rite? 

jmwills

No sir.  I have as many as 9 VM's running at once, all with 12 cores.

itGeeks

No sir.  I have as many as 9 VM's running at once, all with 12 cores.

WOW I guess I really don't understand this stuff then, I am trying to wrap my head around how you can use more cores then you really have?

jmwills

I'm not saying I understand the technology behind it, only the deployment.

Trig0r

You can allocate access to a core, it doesn't take complete control over the core, same as having an app that can use multiple cores, doesn't stop anything else using them at the same time...