RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Boot Problem

Poppapete

I rarely shut down my desktop but last week I did and it would not reboot.  So I disconnected everything and tried to reboot from the MB, & it started.  Bottom line is that it only boots when all monitors are disconnected from the GPU's. I then can plug the monitors in and all is fine. It will reboot from within windows but if I shut it down completely it will only start when all video ports are empty.

Any ideas warmly welcome.  As I say it is not affecting me much as I rarely shut the PC down.

MB:  Asus X99-E WS/USB 3.1 (no onboard Graphics)

GPU: 2 X Asus GTX 970 Turbo

I have 7 monitors connected.

I can only think that the problem (bug) has happened after a GPU driver update which may have been weeks ago as I rarely power down completely.

My next move would be to roll back the GPU drivers but I though I would ask here before doing that!!

EDIT:

Should mention that the only drive is an Intel 750 1200GB PCIe NVMe in slot 7 the GPU's being in slots 3 and 5

When you say doesn't boot, do you mean absolutely nothing happens i.e. you don't even see the BIOS/firmware screens? Or do you mean it starts to load Windows and then blows up at some point with a crash or restart?

It has latest BIOS. When I press the power button nothing happens, fans don't turn but MB LED shows power to the board.I then disconnect all monitors from the GPU's and it boots. I then plug in the monitors and my login is displayed. I have tried just one monitor plugged in to either video card but no boot.

I have also posted this problem in the Overclockers Forum where there is a thread for this MB.

When I press the power button nothing happens, fans don't turn but MB LED shows power to the board.I then disconnect all monitors from the GPU's and it boots. I then plug in the monitors and my login is displayed. I have tried just one monitor plugged in to either video card but no boot.

It doesn't sound like the drivers. If it was a driver issue then I'd expect it to get part way into loading Windows before crashing or restarting. It not starting at all is a much lower level problem. My gut feeling is that there is an issue with power somewhere. Most likely the PSU but you should check the wiring as well.

Have you tried removing one of the GPUs?

What wattage PSU do you have?

It doesn't sound like the drivers. If it was a driver issue then I'd expect it to get part way into loading Windows before crashing or restarting. It not starting at all is a much lower level problem. My gut feeling is that there is an issue with power somewhere. Most likely the PSU but you should check the wiring as well.

Have you tried removing one of the GPUs?

What wattage PSU do you have?

Seasonic Snow Silent 1050 P+

Should be plenty.  Maybe I knocked the PS to one of the cards when I opened the case!  I will check.

• 2 weeks later...

Just in case anyone reads this thread. 

10 days after my last post, I turned the machine off and it would not power on no mater what. I then disassembled the machine (oh no "short circuit") and reassembled.

It has been working ever since.  I hope by posting this that it does stop again.

I had something similar on my X99-A.  Turned out it wasn't happy with my RM750 PSU.  Swapped it for an AX860 and all the issues went away.