RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

N40L Raid Disk Failure

Leo

Hi,

I don't know if I'm going crazy or just that eyesight is as terrbile as ever, but I couldn't find a search function on the forum, so sorry if this topic has been answered before.

WHS 2011 has been running quite happily on my N40L for quite some years. However, today I have found that one of my raid sets (four 2TB Red disks in two mirrored pairs) is critical. I only found this out when logging on to see how much disk space was free.

I thought I had configured the system to warn me of problems but it looks as if I didn't - not good I know!!! Hard Disk Sentinel is installed but it seems as if it can't read the Smart data even though Speccy seems to be able to.

Now I'm not sure which drive has actually failed and I can't find the HP server software for the N40L. The BIOS merely tells me it's critical but doesn't give me any more meaningful information. I'm assuming that the HP Software provided utilities to manage the raid but a search on HP's website was completely hopeless as it does not even seem to know what a microserver N40L is!

Can someone please point me in the right direction?

When I list the disks in Windows I get 3 disks shown. The first two are shown as online and the third is offline. As Windows doesn't show the 4th disk I'm not sure what this means. Is Windows showing a mirrored pair as one disk?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Leo

If the drives were mirrored in the BIOS, I do not think you would see 3-4 drives in Windows, you would see two drives, the two RAID1 arrays. Do you have a good back up of your data?

Any RAID information should include the serial number of the drives.

If the drives were mirrored in the BIOS, I do not think you would see 3-4 drives in Windows, you would see two drives, the two RAID1 arrays. Do you have a good back up of your data?

Yes, I see the serial numbers but I was hoping that a HP Microserver user could give me some insight into what I am seeing before I take the system offline (it is constant use!). As schoondoggy says I expected to see 3 disks, the non-raid version in the top slot and the two mirrored disks. This is what I'm actually seeing

disk 0 online 232 GB

disk 1 online 1862 GB 3072 KB Free

disk 2 online 1862 GB 1024 KB Free

disk 3 offline 1863 GB 3072 KB Free

disk 2 is the only disk marked as gpt, so I've onviously done something odd when I set the system up.

What I can't see is which disk is in which slot of the HP disk caddies. I was hoping that there was a way of seeing that before doing anything. I haven't yet used the AMD RAID Xpert which I hope to do this week.

As for backup, all the data is in multiple places but I've not yet implemented a sensible backup strategy. I was using WHS 2011 backup, which was fine in theory, until a restore failed. I still don't know why. The restore got to 58% and then just stopped. Apparently many other people have had the same problem but no one seems to have a solution. In future I intend to use multiple backup systems but there never seems to be a reliable media format that is affordable. In many respects the microserver is the backup for my main PC but I've been hit with disk failures on that too.

When i asked about your disks you did not mention a boot drive. In Windows you should only see three drives, the boot drive and the two RAID1 arrays. I do not think you have the RAID set up. Look in file explorer to see what is on the drives.