RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

AD login giving temp profile on one PC

dvn

At work, I sometimes log into AD using my boss's computer; a lot of us share it. Lately I'm getting a notification that I'm logged in under a temp profile. I just returned to the university after a year away. When I left, someone had instructed my boss on how to delete my profile from his machine. He's not sure what he did; thinks he went into Manage under computer properties and deleted my name from Local Users and Groups. Doesn't matter at this point. I'm thinking there's something in the registry that's keeping me from logging in normally. I know my SID. wmic useraccount...

My question is whether I should delete the HKEY_USERS key with my SID? (Assuming it still exists...) Would that let me log back in normally? 

I got a count of the number of times my SID in listed the registry as of now. It's somewhere around 100, but not sure of the exact total. So it's there in a number of places. I'm just hoping/looking for a one-click/one delete solution. What do you guys got?

One-click-one-delete in the Windows registry is extremely dangerous, so be careful.  Also export any keys you plan on deleting so you can back out.  Standard disclaimer:  I am not responsible for anything you do, so have good backups.

First, back up the contents of the user profile while logged in as a different user than the profile you wish to remove.  This is extremely important; we want a recovery copy of the profile.  You will need this different user to have local administrative permissions.

Usually, the profile information in the registry is under the following key:

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current Version\ProfileList

Each SID underneath represents a user name.  You may find a bunch of SID registry keys with a .BAK at the end of them.  You can try backing these keys up, and then deleting them; make sure the keys you delete match the SID of the user whose profile you want removed from the system, and no other.  If you have backed up the user profile data, it should be safe to delete the non .BAK SID keys as well that match the user whose profile you wish to create (but export any keys you delete first).

Assuming you have actually backed up the contents of the user profile in question, I would actually delete that user profile folder from C:\Users on the system.  Then restart and log in as that user.  It should create a brand new user profile.  At this point, you can restore the data to this profile from the profile you backed up.  I recommend restoring only the important data, not any hidden/system folders.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the quick reply. I didn't mention it but I've already been in ProfileList and deleted mySID.bak key. It's back, with my actual username shown in the ProfileImagePath. Nope, I don't have a C:\Users folder with my name on it having previously deleted that as well. What I was told by a friend who makes a living doing network support, and after a few beers which is why I'm double checking, is that the key i want to delete is under the USERS hive. I see the key; I also see another key, same name with '_Classes' appended to it. So I'm still wondering if deleting the key from there is the option I want?

Should also add that in registry, the ProfileList key, my normal one, lists image path as TEMP. Only the .bak key lists image path correctly, except for the fact that there is no actual folder under C:\Users\ because I deleted it during my earlier attempts to resolve this issue.

I will add tha I'm not worried about files on this one machine. They're saved on the network drive. My only concern is to not muck up anyone else's stuff.

I can try deleting the .bak key again but I'm pretty sure that's not going to fix it. Short of reimage, which my boss wants to avoid (although that may not be such a bad idea since I know there are remnants from the Novell days left in the registry), can anyone confirm that deleting the key from the USERS hive is a workable solution?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Try removing all the .BAK keys and the profile key with the SID as well.

This is what I had to do this past week when restoring a system profile after rebuilding a corrupt operating system.  I had to make sure any folders associated with the local user profile were gone, as well as removing all of those keys (.BAK and the regular one) from the ProfileList directory as well.

I did not have to remove anything from the HKU section, so I'd be reluctant to recommend it.  I'm going off the Technet articles and Microsoft links I used when working with the issue in addition to my own experience.  If you're going to make any of those changes, I wouldn't do it without rebooting from alternate media and backing up the registry hives.

Well now you'll laugh. I deleted the SID key in ProfileList, as you suggested and as I had previously done. This time it worked. However, my desktop looks different from the other machine. So tell me, because I am a bit of a noob with this AD stuff, shouldn't the desktop look the same as it does on the other PC I log into? I mean I thought that was the point of roaming profiles. And if so, now what do I delete to get rid of this generic desktop and load my regular desktop? :-)

Do I need to log in as another user with admin privs and go to System Properties > Advanced tab > User Profiles and delete my profile from there? I'm guessing that would cause my roaming profile to be reloaded properly when I next log in?

I would delete all user profiles as another administrative user.  Anything changed for one user should not be done logged in as that user.

Do I need to log in as another user with admin privs and go to System Properties > Advanced tab > User Profiles and delete my profile from there? [i'm guessing] that would cause my roaming profile to be reloaded properly when I next log in?

So, 'yes' to my first question?

I wasn't being facetious when I asked. I really just want to be sure I understand what's being said. If you could confirm that, logged in as another user with admin privs, I should navigate to User Profiles and delete my problem profile from there? Thanks! And thanks for all your help with this. Much appreciated.