RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Suggestions on what to do with spare EX485

brennok

My EX485 was my first jump into the WHS arena. After filling all 4 bays, I quickly ran low on space. I also found the unit pretty slow when accessing just the consoles. It would hang every few seconds when I was connected so I started looking for other options. Of course like always I went overboard and built a Norco 4220 currently housing 12 storage drives plus the OS drive. For the most part they are just old sata drives of various sizes. I figure I will start upgrading those once Vail actually launches.

My dilemma now though is I have the EX485 just sitting around and it seems like a waste. As a result I am trying to find a use for it. I thought about trying to install vail on it to test, but I just don't have the time really right now. Anyone have any suggestions?

Unfortunately no. I have an old PC currently doing that task and just built a new HTPC which is just waiting for my InfiniTV4.

I would sell it for more storage, but I already have around 10tb just for backups and tv shows. Also I found I had issues with many of the newer drives for example even when using jumpers on the new WD green drives. It may also be the card that doesn't like the drives.

I may use it as off site storage though truth be told I don't know how much I have that I am that worried about losing.

I would sell it for more storage, but I already have around 10tb just for backups and tv shows. Also I found I had issues with many of the newer drives for example even when using jumpers on the new WD green drives. It may also be the card that doesn't like the drives.

I may use it as off site storage though truth be told I don't know how much I have that I am that worried about losing.

Have you considered craigslist or ebay? If it were mine, I would have a choice of several friends to give it to I suppose.

I have my old NAS (Buffalo TeraStation Pro II, 2 TB model) storing a copy of my WHS backup-database. Just in case something decides to break :)

Seems if it`s slow it`s only real value would be storage...but with 10TB, Wow you`re good for a while.

I wonder why the Motherboard is slow,I run the same hardware and it does everything well.

What about not using the Motherboard and just hacking a bit and using it just as a HDD case, connecting the HDDs directly to a eSata port installed on the back....Oh no time ...right.

OK, How much do you want for it. I would probably buy it from you if shipping to Vancouver Canada isn`t to much.

tbowland

My EX485 was my first jump into the WHS arena. After filling all 4 bays, I quickly ran low on space. I also found the unit pretty slow when accessing just the consoles. It would hang every few seconds when I was connected so I started looking for other options. Of course like always I went overboard and built a Norco 4220 currently housing 12 storage drives plus the OS drive. For the most part they are just old sata drives of various sizes. I figure I will start upgrading those once Vail actually launches.

My dilemma now though is I have the EX485 just sitting around and it seems like a waste. As a result I am trying to find a use for it. I thought about trying to install vail on it to test, but I just don't have the time really right now. Anyone have any suggestions?

Holy crap I wasn't paying attention before when I read this post. You have a Norco 4220? That's pretty impressive and squashes my EX485 multiple times over. ("Impressive" ~ Darth Vader)