itGeeks

Backups, This is the reason its not an Option but Mandatory.

schoondoggy

Stripping, RAID0, across three RAID5 arrays of SSDs on their production server. All of their company data on a server with no back up. The company is called Linus Tech Tip's, not sure I would take tech tips from these guys. 

itGeeks

Stripping, RAID0, across three RAID5 arrays of SSDs on their production server. All of their company data on a server with no back up. The company is called Linus Tech Tip's, not sure I would take tech tips from these guys. 

come on Kevin please don't be so hard on "Linus" he had a rough week that week. You know what they say sometime, The shoe maker does not always have the best pair of shoes and the locksmith may not always have the best locks and that's because we are so busy catering to everyone else that we don't take enough time to fix our self's :( I can bet "Linus" has a bulit proof backup plan in place now. I can also bet lots of us have lost data at one time or another before we started a serious backup plan. My family thinks I am a pain in the A?? because I am pounding them about backups all the time, One day my father-in-law thanked me after a virus got the best of him and he was able to recover all his files after a wipe and reload of the OS because all his files where backed up to my NAS.

LoneWolf

come on Kevin please don't be so hard on "Linus" he had a rough week that week. You know what they say sometime, The shoe maker does not always have the best pair of shoes and the locksmith may not always have the best locks and that's because we are so busy catering to everyone else that we don't take enough time to fix our self's :( I can bet "Linus" has a bulit proof backup plan in place now. I can also bet lots of us have lost data at one time or another before we started a serious backup plan. My family thinks I am a pain in the A?? because I am pounding them about backups all the time, One day my father-in-law thanked me after a virus got the best of him and he was able to recover all his files after a wipe and reload of the OS because all his files where backed up to my NAS.

(disclaimer:  I haven't read the full article regarding LTT and the backup server because it's a video, and I much prefer to do the old fashioned thing and read.  I'm cranky, stubborn, and old-school; get over it. ;) )

While it may be that the shoemaker doesn't have the best pair of shoes --despite the proverb, show me a shoemaker that goes barefoot.

I think Kevin's point was that any site that is run as a Tech tips site, that is a business (even a side-business if not full-time) not running backups is kind of like this little incident that just happened.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-fed-bangladesh-idUSKCN0XI1UO

If your reaction to the above article is to be as horrified as I and some of my IT colleagues are --then you should do the same SMH about someone who has a tech website falling prey to no backup solution.  I'm glad there was learning --but in this industry, professing to be technical and then not following one of the most important since the dawn of tech best practices is frightening.

Edited by LoneWolf
  • Like 1

itGeeks

(disclaimer:  I haven't read the full article regarding LTT and the backup server because it's a video, and I much prefer to do the old fashioned thing and read.  I'm cranky, stubborn, and old-school; get over it. ;) )

While it may be that the shoemaker doesn't have the best pair of shoes --despite the proverb, show me a shoemaker that goes barefoot.

I think Kevin's point was that any site that is run as a Tech tips site, that is a business (even a side-business if not full-time) not running backups is kind of like this little incident that just happened.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-fed-bangladesh-idUSKCN0XI1UO

If your reaction to the above article is to be as horrified as I and some of my IT colleagues are --then you should do the same SMH about someone who has a tech website falling prey to no backup solution.  I'm glad there was learning --but in this industry, professing to be technical and then not following one of the most important since the dawn of tech best practices is frightening.

I am sorry I did not mean to stir you up, I was just trying to have a bit of old fashion fun with Kevin. Your points are well made in fact made me laugh :D Its always a tragedy when something like this happens but thank god "Linus" was able to get all his data back, You could see the fear on his face the whole time. Now I am not sure if what I am about to say is what happen or not becouse "Linus" did not say it on video but he did say he built a new unRaid server for backups and was doing a backup of his data when all this happened, I am thinking maybe he had a backup server and rebuilt it without having another backup someplace thinking he could get away with the rebuild and a fresh backup without anything happening, Not sure if that's what happen or not but its clear that everyone should be following at a minimum the 3-2-1 back program. Anyway if nothing else this will get everyone thinking about the safety of there data.

Poppapete

I thought the great joke was the whole video segment was sponsored by RackSpace.  In hindsight I am sure that he was smart enough to get them on board and they are now hosting his array backup in the cloud for free.

• Like 1

pcdoc

All i can say is I want that server.... :)

LoneWolf

I start to get tempted by the idea of turning my Microserver Gen8 into a backup server box, even though it's massive overkill since it was built-out as my primary box.  I could totally downgrade the CPU and RAM and it would still do an excellent job at that, but I'd probably be putting more money in.

I kind of wish I could do a RAID like this (based on the existing drives I have): - make a RAID-0 of two 2TB drives, then mirror that RAID with a single 4TB drive.  I think Intel may have had a software setup like that with their "Matrix RAID" setup, but I'm not immediately aware of any other hardware option that lets one do this.

And itGeeks, I agree with your opening statement.  Backups aren't an option.  They are a requirement.  Even without hardware failure, I can go into the half a dozen times in the past eight months where I've had to do recovery for a customer because of ransomware variants, which is extremely ugly. and time-consuming, as ransomware doesn't just affect the machine of origin --it crawls network shares, and it's extremely difficult for perimiter firewalls and antivirus to detect, let alone contain.  Without backups, it would have been impossible.

Edited by LoneWolf

itGeeks

All i can say is I want that server.... :)

Its on auction now, Starting bid 40,000.00 going once going twice, sold to pcdoc :D

I start to get tempted by the idea of turning my Microserver Gen8 into a backup server box, even though it's massive overkill since it was built-out as my primary box.  I could totally downgrade the CPU and RAM and it would still do an excellent job at that, but I'd probably be putting more money in.

I kind of wish I could do a RAID like this (based on the existing drives I have): - make a RAID-0 of two 2TB drives, then mirror that RAID with a single 4TB drive.  I think Intel may have had a software setup like that with their "Matrix RAID" setup, but I'm not immediately aware of any other hardware option that lets one do this.

And itGeeks, I agree with your opening statement.  Backups aren't an option.  They are a requirement.  Even without hardware failure, I can go into the half a dozen times in the past eight months where I've had to do recovery for a customer because of ransomware variants, which is extremely ugly. and time-consuming, as ransomware doesn't just affect the machine of origin --it crawls network shares, and it's extremely difficult for perimiter firewalls and antivirus to detect, let alone contain.  Without backups, it would have been impossible.

What kind of network and endpoint protection do those customers have in place? it sounds to me like those customers need to reevaluate there protection, I could be wrong.

Big Worm

I saw that video before.  I like Linus, but too many times he just builds the most ridiculous servers/workstations.  I guess that happens when you have a lot of good sponsors.  That server should have been just a test platform to demonstrate some ridiculous speeds you can achieve.  But instead he made it a production server.  He was planning on making a backup server, but again he wants to go crazy so he never finished.  How he got all that data back is a miracle.  

I always say keep it simple.