RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

OpenMesh Question

ShadowPeo

Just a quick question in regards to the SSID's in OpenMesh. Specifically can I have each one drop onto a different VLAN (I utilise 3 VLANS; Family, Guest and IoT)

I have experience in doing this on other more enterprise grade solutions (Aerohive and Cisco specifically) but the cost of the OM products make it really tempting, but if I have to purchase 3 WAP's I may as well purchase an Aerohive unit. I am pretty sure I have worked out the answer from my research but I would like to know definitively from someone who as used it

Thanks in Advace

Justin

Just a quick question in regards to the SSID's in OpenMesh. Specifically can I have each one drop onto a different VLAN (I utilise 3 VLANS; Family, Guest and IoT)

I have experience in doing this on other more enterprise grade solutions (Aerohive and Cisco specifically) but the cost of the OM products make it really tempting, but if I have to purchase 3 WAP's I may as well purchase an Aerohive unit. I am pretty sure I have worked out the answer from my research but I would like to know definitively from someone who as used it

Thanks in Advace

Justin

You can route an SSID to a VLAN assuming you have a compatible switch etc.  They are very versatile and the performance is fantastic.  I am using two of them but I route each AP to a separate network completely.  Fantastic units. 

You can route an SSID to a VLAN assuming you have a compatible switch etc.  They are very versatile and the performance is fantastic.  I am using two of them but I route each AP to a separate network completely.  Fantastic units. 

pcdoc: Thanks for your answer, I am going to push my luck a little more and ask; Compatible in what sense?? 802.1Q (this seems to be the logical protocol)? or is there some special support that is needed. It is going to a Layer 2 managed switch (Cisco 2960S-24-PoE+ to be precise) so tagging and alike are not an issue, but if its something else I will have to look at it more. Is there a reference manual for these things??

Thanks in advance (again)

Justin

EDIT: Duh, Just found the manuals, I shall read them. Thanks again

Edited by ShadowPeo

pcdoc: Thanks for your answer, I am going to push my luck a little more and ask; Compatible in what sense?? 802.1Q (this seems to be the logical protocol)? or is there some special support that is needed. It is going to a Layer 2 managed switch (Cisco 2960S-24-PoE+ to be precise) so tagging and alike are not an issue, but if its something else I will have to look at it more. Is there a reference manual for these things??

Thanks in advance (again)

Justin

EDIT: Duh, Just found the manuals, I shall read them. Thanks again

802.1Q is the required protocol.  As long as you have that you should be OK.  Good Luck.  Here is what the setup instructions state.

Traffic on this SSID will be bridged and tagged with the specified VLAN (allowed range is 2-4094). Must be used only with 802.1Q compatible switches and routers. Don't enable this feature if you have non-VLAN capable switches or routers.

I agree with pcdoc, I have never setup VLAN with them but I know it can be done. I use an MR1750 and it's fantastic.

Thanks for the replies guys. I will be purchasing several in the near future to see how the propagation goes. Still need to run a couple of the external lines and repair/replace the fibre to one of the outbuildings but I will be doing that sooner rather than later. Just have to wait to hear from the supply company if we need to trench the front for access or whether they will do that when the install the new connection as I do not want to have to hire the trenching equipment twice

Thanks for the replies guys. I will be purchasing several in the near future to see how the propagation goes. Still need to run a couple of the external lines and repair/replace the fibre to one of the outbuildings but I will be doing that sooner rather than later. Just have to wait to hear from the supply company if we need to trench the front for access or whether they will do that when the install the new connection as I do not want to have to hire the trenching equipment twice

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.  I am relatively sure you will be very pleased.

• Like 1

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.  I am relatively sure you will be very pleased.

Agreed. ShadowPeo if you have any trouble at all you can ask hear first and or contact Open-Mesh support, They are very responsive to problems and very eager to get things sorted out as pcdoc can tell you. Enjoy your new purchase :)