RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
stigzler

PCI SATA + RAM upgrade reccommendations

stigzler

Researching my external enclosure, I might just stick with USB3 to connect rather than esata - as USB transfer rate is listed as 5Gbit/s and eSata as 3Gbit/s:

http://www.raidsonic.de/products/external_cases/soho_raid/IB-RD3640SU3E2/pdf/datasheet_ib-RD3640_serie_e.pdf

I don't understand all the LSI stuff. Just need a recommendation about what card to plug into one of my pci-e slots to provide 4 additional internal sata ports. Would this one do it:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Syba-SATA-III-4-Port-PCI-e-2-0x-2-Card-with-Marvell-HyperDuo-RAID-Mode-Support-a-/321950033379?&_trksid=p2056016.l4276

So I'd use the 4 on-board sata plus the 4 on this card to give me my 8 drives?

schoondoggy

That should work

Poppapete

Thanks. But the topic is about my new Dell T20 - hence my posting in the Dell T20 forum. The HP was the old one.

Sorry, didn't read it correctly.  I too had a similar problem as you and started a thread here.

Running out of Disk space - WHS Builds - HomeServerShow Forums

It may help you to with your problem.  What I learnt from Drashna:

LSI cards give you SATA ports at SATA speeds but will be more expensive than USB or ESata solution.  The Cards come in both RAID & non RAID controller varieties with RAID ones being more expensive.  They come in internal & external port varieties.  They come with one or 2 SCSI (& more) ports.  Each port will support 4 SATA drives (& more).  All you need is the scsi sata 4 port adapter.  It is a more expensive but better solution.  If you have room you use the internal port card making sure your PSU will handle the extra load.  If not you get the card with external ports and add an expander chassis (with or without external power). I bought internal non raid one from china and very happy with the solution.  I did have to add an extra fan in the case as the extra spinning drives produce a bit of heat. With 4TB (& more) drives you can increase storage dramatically. I have them all added to Stablebit DrivePool with duplication on (No Raid).

stigzler

That should work

Fabulous. Ordered, alongside 3.5 drive bay; powercable extenders, 1x10cm2 piece of aluminium (gonna try preserving that warranty) and 2 drive sleighs. NOw trying to figure whether I'm going to need another case fan...

Thanks Popp - looks like an excellent solution for big cases. But the space in the t20 is limited, so 4 more ports is going to be sufficient. 

Edited by stigzler

stigzler

Still not sure about the ram as per my post below hijinx's

fractal

Sorry for the slow response.  You should check the RAM that came with your server.  My TS140 came with 1.35 volt PC3L RAM.  You can not mix RAM of different voltages.  The kingston configurator recommends both low voltage and standard voltage for that server so it is best to check to see what is in the machine unless you plan on replacing everything.

Multi port ESATA can be tricky.  There are two standards for port multipliers and you need to pick a card that supports the protocol your device requires.  I have one system that I want to upgrade that drives an 8 bay external enclosure with two ESATA ports, four drives per port.  I have not managed to get an ESATA port multiplier card to work in either a TS140 or a ML10V2 to replace my ancient server.  USB3 external multi drive enclosures seem to get poor reviews as well.