RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
stigzler

PCI SATA + RAM upgrade reccommendations

stigzler

Hi Folks,

Just upgraded after years of battling obsolescence with a HP EX495. Finally gave up and bought the xeon t20. Liking it so far :)

So, onto basic upgrades. Basic config at the moment = 4 x 3.5" installed.

Read around a bit, and wanting to do the +2 3.5" bay addition and will be considering 2.5" x 2 in the future. Also, I have an external IcyBox with esata and usb3. I've read that esata it preferable to usb3. So a few questions:

- What pci sata card to get. I'm guessing it'll have to be 5 ports - 2 x 3.5; 2 x 2.5 + then the esata for the icybox. 

- What would i need in addition (power/sata cables etc)

- Any drawback to having 8 internal HDDs? (power/heat?)

Lastly,  just need a simple 4G RAM upgrade to the stock 4G to make 8 in total. Seen this:

http://www.kingstonmemoryshop.co.uk/kingston-4gb-ddr3-pc3-12800-1600mhz-unbuffered-ecc-memory-ram-dimm-71524

Would this suffice. Any swapping of Dimm slots needed, or just fit into the matching colour of the existing ram?

stigzler

Oh dear. Guess this forum might be dead. Hope I haven't just bought another obsolete product! :)

Poppapete

I do not own an HP server but notice the HP Servers thread is by far the most active on this site.  Try posting there instead of in this the OEM Server thread.

HP Servers

stigzler

Thanks. But the topic is about my new Dell T20 - hence my posting in the Dell T20 forum. The HP was the old one.

stigzler

Thanks. Yeah, id looked through that post and have got the cage business down. Juet need some advice on the right card and ram. When you say find a card which is compatable with the icy box, is esata not a standard connector or are there different types?.

Im running on whs2011 with stablebit drivepool , not raid.

schoondoggy

eSATA is a standard connector. I have seen a few compatibility issues with chipsets and enclosures. I would get a separate eSATA card. For the internal drives I would get a 8 port LSI controller and flash it to IT mode to use it as a HBA. Unbuffered ECC is what you need. I still like using matched pairs when affordable.

hijinx

Mine came from serversplus.co.uk with kingston RAM.

KVR16E11/8HB

its 1.5V 2Rx8 pc3-12800E (1600 DDR3 unbuffered ECC)

stigzler

Thanks schoon. My apologies, but my tech in the regard isn't up to understanding this:

"For the internal drives I would get a 8 port LSI controller and flash it to IT mode to use it as a HBA"

Could you simplify it at all? Maybe a link to an example pci card?

thanks hijinx. Never quite sure with RAM - see this is a single strip of 8GB. Is there no way to buy a single strip of 4G to match my existing, stock strip making a total of 8? Or should I use this 8 and the stock 4 together?

schoondoggy

You could just add a SATA card to add 2 or 4 ports. SATA cards based on Marvell chips are good. If you are looking at 8 drives in the server, I would look at using a 8 port card. Some LSI RAID controllers can be turned into a HBA/SATA card. Steps are detailed here:

http://www.servethehome.com/ibm-m1015-part-1-started-lsi-92208i/